Hg Wells War of the Worlds - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Hg Wells War of the Worlds Reviews

August 17, 2015
I watched this because it had Andrew Lauer in it, distributed under the title 'Invasion', so I had no idea it was supposed to be a version of Warof the Worlds, so: it does part of the job advertised in that I thought halfway through "this is a bad rip-off of the War of the Worlds". The bad sides for me were the inclusion of the brat, the baaad special effects, the inclusion of the numbskull sergeant type character (who gets to kill Lauer off in a rather pointless scene presumably to add shock value) and the special effects (worthy of two mentions).
½ December 31, 2014
Doesn't even come close to so bad it's good!
October 1, 2014
The special effects may not be good. But, the story is actually pretty decent! Yes, Steven Spielberg's version is by FAR, the superior film. But, this one was decent. If your a fan of the "War of the Worlds" story, I say, check it out.
January 4, 2014
Basically a poor-man's version of the Spielberg film that's slightly closer to the original novel. It has an interesting cast, but boring characters and bland CGI. It's still the same basic story, so there isn't much originality. Still, it's watchable for the most part.
½ December 13, 2013
Terrible acting, terrible special effects and terrible rip off of Tom Cruises War Of The Worlds.
July 6, 2013
Opening shower scene is the best of the movie.
½ June 25, 2013
holy crap. this was by far the worst movie I have seen. my one year old daughter could have produced a better film. the animation of the drones was horrific. I would not recommend any one else torture themselves by watching this
½ March 22, 2013
What a turkey! This direct to SCI-FI channel dvd was released just before the Spielman/Cruise movie of the same name - and managed to be worse! I suspect the prodction staff had only spent 72 seconds flipping through an abridged children's book of HG's classic. The monsters are six-legged creations from Starship Troopers; every few minutes we are reminded of colds, viruses, and flu; the pace is obviously paced for beer and 1-900 commercial breaks; then the most intelligent character, the astrophysicist hero, can't see the ending when it fails to zap him in the face. The only redeeming character is Busey's Lieutenant - he always does a great job playing the self-aggrandizing jerk. The best part of this flick is the ending credits: "The events, characters, and firms depicted in this photo play are fictitious. Really. Any similarity to actual persons, living or dead, or actual events is purely coincidental. and very weird. We suggest moving, and/or staying away from pits with aliens in them. No aliens were hurt during the production of this screenplay. In the case of an actual alien attack, please refer to the duck-and-cover method, which is on page 72 of your manual. Ownership of this motion picture is protected by copyright and other applicable laws, and any unauthorized duplication, distribution, or exhibition of this motion picture could result in criminal prosecution as well as civil liability. Why are you still reading this? Go back to the video store and rent another Asylum film. You know you want to." devil in the details;-)
½ January 21, 2013
Don't expect any exciting action if you see this. It's more faithful to the original novel, but some things can't be positively transferred from one form of media to another. This is an example.
November 7, 2012
So this time, The Asylum decided to just do a movie that looks like just another take on an old book since a lot of people do takes on old books, when it is in reality a rip-off of the Spielberg hit which The Asylum decided to do since the Spielberg version was a success, and the Asylum didn't even bother to make it more true to the old book.
November 7, 2012
½ October 27, 2012
Asylum's 2005 Mockbuster, Is Actually Better Than Spielberg's Blockbuster. Although Not As Well Made, The Film Is More Enjoyable In My Opinion. The Story Is Actually Better Than Spielberg's. The Acting However Not So Much. This Version Spawned A Sequel & Was Released As "The Invasion" Internationally.
½ September 9, 2012
This may be the worst movie I have ever seen.
½ April 21, 2012
it's good it's a classic.
½ April 21, 2012
Was very disappointed in this version of the movie.
December 13, 2011
An interesting Mockbuster that unashamedly tries to occupy the attention of a male target audience with an unnecessary boob shot within the first minute.

I assume this is to distract the audience from their realisation that this is not the Speilberg 2005 film. Awful, awful, awful. Only watched to discuss how these films exploit the marketing of Hollywood blockbusters; with the big studios cashing in on the publicity the asylum provide. And for those that are interested in such things, there is no more random bare flesh in the rest of the film.
½ December 5, 2011
This was so bad, it had prompted this--my first RT review (I JUST had to write something to get it off of my chest). When trying to find a film version to introduce my school-age son to the War of the Worlds universe, we came upon this (it was the only version available on Netflix). I must say-it has been added to my list of top ten worst films ever made. It would have been top five, but it does make an effort to bring some of the original story's message. It quickly made a strong impression with some sudden, gratuitious nudity (OK, VanWyk-Loot is attractive) in the very first seconds of the film, (and which made his head turn away and created immediate doubts). The rest made my head want to turn away but we stuck with it just to see how bad it could get--and it didn't disappoint in disappointing. Actually, we had more enjoyment at seeing how each next scene developed and how low they were going to go. Howell must have needed a check badly. Plays like a very poor TV screenplay. They also must have had an opportunity to buy props cheaply from Starship Troopers given the bug-like Alien Invaders and Jake Busey. Low budget, bad acting and overall disappointment actually improved the prior film versions. Watch if you want to see how bad it really is--avoid if you are searching for a decent WOTW's renditon.
½ November 25, 2011
To the people who hated the classic version of War of the Worlds...watch this film...or watch the Tom Cruise version!
October 30, 2011
not interested ..... what is that !!!!!!
October 30, 2011
I want to watch the 50s version, the new ones don't interest me.