The Hidden Blade - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Hidden Blade Reviews

May 6, 2016
I could not decide which is better, this film or The Twilight Samurai. Both stories are amazing and deeply moving. These are not action movies, so if you are looking for cheap thrills, you won't find it here. Instead, they are very well written stories that were written with historical accuracy.
March 22, 2016
The similarities to the love story in Twilight Samurai is there but the violent ending is awesome. Lovin this more than the Fujisawa's first film.
November 3, 2013
A truly beautiful film musing over the familiar Samurai themes of Honour, Courage, Loyalty and Justice. Not an action film, with the exception of a showdown, this film is a touching and beautiful story.
March 26, 2013
Another Yoji Yamada masterpiece, which may fall short of The Twilight Samurai, but is a masterful film in it's own right.
February 2, 2013
Similar to his own "Twilight Samurai", it's a Yoji Yamada movie about the last days of the samurai, in a modernizing Japan. The social clash is well shown from the point of view of a samurai that starts to defy authority. All wrapped up in a romantic story, which is a secondary part of the movie despite the trailer. Highly recommended! ;)
January 12, 2013
Masatoshi Nagase is perfect and the love story could be the best of Yoji Yamada's Samurai trilogy!
December 7, 2012
Will have to watch this one. Not necassarily good or bad. Will see. Want to watch!
½ November 9, 2012
Even if you choose to do a single Samurai action scene in a movie..u make it bleed epicness!
June 25, 2012
brillaint samurai cinema
June 22, 2012
Just a word of caution, this movie is VERY Japanese. I love its meditative format, but others may be frustrated by its deliberately slow pacing and lack of adherence to Western film conventions.
½ March 27, 2012
This is one of the best samurai film ever made. The fight choreography and history facts are very accurate. The scenario is also really well done: simple and raw. A must see for samurai lovers.
½ March 13, 2012
Another nice film from Yoji Yamada. It resembles his The Twilight Samurai a lot. But it is still worth watching.
½ February 1, 2012
Not what I was expecting but I enjoyed this. It was funny, you felt for the characters and the story was good.
November 17, 2011
Soap sam it might be......but it gets better and better, and a beautiful end. Enjoyed.
October 25, 2011
I want to see this again.
October 23, 2011
Second of the samurai trilogy by Yamada Yoji.

A much more complex story than the first film (tasogare seibei), but still really enjoyable.

Nagase Masatoshi takes the main role and while he lacks the charisma of Sanada he is well suited to the character and is ably matched by Matsu Takako as the perfectly suited but socially off limits housemaid.

The late Ogata Ken excels as a very unpleasant high ranking official.

There are quite a few threads to this film but it has an odd story arc that sets a very odd pace. It has a slightly lazy feeling.

Happily recommend.
August 17, 2011
Terrific movie dealing with with the very life of Japanese samurais in that time period. Three movies complete the Samurai trilogy by Yogi Yamada... The hidden blade, Twilight Samurai, Love and honor... three great movies .
July 24, 2011
Not a lot of action, but the story was very good!
July 23, 2011
I found it a bit grimier and desperate than the Twilight Samurai, from the same director: Yachiro is as uncompromising as Seibei, as edgy, but more vocal abouit it, and, while there the Samurai role mantained its romantic, if ambiguous, halo, here the protagonist is renouncing it to live fully: a dismissal, rather than a heroic defeat.
June 19, 2011
Ahhhh, Friday night! Get home from work, roomate's away so, time for JB to play, no? Bag o' Party Mix and a samurai film? Marry me please.

But wait... is this? Could it be? A romance film? "Ahhhh shhhiiiiieeeeeett!" Now, it may be known that I tend to gag at rom-coms and anything slightly sentimental, YET I couldn't help but become entranced with Katagirl and Kie's relationship (or lack thereof). High class samurai and a peasant servant? Can't happen. Tsk, tsk, I think love says otherwise....

Yes it's obvious what plays out on the romantic side, yet there is an equally important (and far more interesting) tale of honor and loyalty between two old "friends." Not much swordplay, plenty of comedy, and romance... yet I like it? I'm getting old.