Hideo Nakata's Kaidan - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Hideo Nakata's Kaidan Reviews

½ April 8, 2012
A older woman gets insanely jealous and puts a curse on man that follows him for the rest of his life. Slow in many parts, but it's worth the wait for fans of feudal japan and romantic ghost stories.
February 7, 2012
Good but sad story of the trap of ghostly revenge and the chaos that it wreaks among the innocent and guilty.
½ November 6, 2011
Technically sound but we've seen this regurgitated plot scenario many times before. Disappointing.
August 16, 2011
O M Gosh, I absolutely loved everything about this horror movie, the sets, the atmosphere, the acting, watched it over and over!
½ July 10, 2010
Another ultra-creepy and amusing thriller from J-horror mastro Hideo Nakata. Though not much in the same league as some of his past movies, the movie itself a pretty creepy, intense ghost story. worth the admission for anyone whose a big nut for Asian horror films like me.
June 15, 2010
Interesting movie, not too scary for someone who is used to lots of J-horror movies.
June 5, 2010
its basically a traditional ghost story, except with some really dark humor mixed in with its unsettling, somewhat stylized atmosphere - not to mention there are loads of popouts that aren't at all predictable, and even the ones that are predictable can make you feel uneasy. being a fan of Japanese horror, I loved it, though it is quite tame in comparison to other j-horror films (despite the fact that, this MAY be a SPOILER, there's a quite gory fight scene towards the end). it has a very theatrical feel to it, but its portrayed realistically, which is something that most films aren't able to accomplish nowadays. definitely worth checking out.
½ December 31, 2009
(*** 1/2): Thumbs Up

This was a very good J-horror ghost story. If you're a fan of the genre, definitely seek this one out.
November 20, 2009
I rented this movie on Halloween night in hopes for another classic J-Horror scare (such as Ju-On or Ringu) but instead I got a beautiful tale that unraveled before my eyes as gracefully as a seamstress would cast her thread upon the loom. This movie has a wonderful plot of love, betrayal, and curses that color the story with vibrant details and descriptions.

Kaidan starts off with a good strong back story, explaining how the Kaidan was created. Then it skips forward to present day, which takes place in the early centuries of Japan.

I would not recommend someone who is really desensitized and enjoys the Saw movies, or even movies such as The Grudge. While this movie has it's fair share of scares, to get to them you have to wait through a long amount of love story and plot.

However, if you are a deep person and enjoy movies with good plots and story lines, this movie is for you. It is beautiful in every sense of the word, with excellent use of symbolism and imagery.

I loved this movie and will treasure its message in my heart for as long as I live. I sincerely thank its creators for bringing such a beautiful masterpiece into the world.
½ July 6, 2009
Very tame horror movie with not much happening. Boredom sets in long before the two hours is up.