The High and the Mighty - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The High and the Mighty Reviews

June 14, 2016
Its the first John Wayne movie Ive seen. Its a great movie, why is it seen as rotten?
January 24, 2016
Not enough Wayne in this is my comment. It's the original disaster movie. I love how the producers of the spoof series Airplane used an actor from this and drew material from it. It's too long for starters, it has some nice flashback scenes to give backstory to the passengers of the plane. But some are just too annoying to care about. Wayne is the best part of the movie. When he bitchslaps the captain is a laugh out loud great moment. Also when he is calming down the passengers of the plane is a great scene. But you don't connect with a lot of the passengers and really are not bothered if they make it or not. The end is rather predictable and frustrating. But it has ts moments. Mind you are a fan of John Wayne then watch it. He does what he does. But as a movie it's not the best. I can see what it tried to do but comes up short.
August 9, 2015
Loved it then. And loved the music.
½ July 4, 2015
Progenitor of the 70s Airport disaster films. A big cast of characters are on a flight from Honolulu to the mainland, but when the plane runs into trouble the crew and passengers deal with the stress of an impending crash in a variety of manners. There is John Wayne, the captain who's haunted by by the plane crash that killed his wife and child. Robert Stack, the second in command, who is feeling the stress of having so many people's lives in his hands. There are the many passengers too, including a fading beauty, a goofy vacationer (Phil Harris), an heiress, a pretty Japanese lady, an unaccompanied minor and one very nervous passenger who gets a seat on the plane at the last minute. The film is pretty silly and downright corny most of the time, but it does have some solid entertainment value, which you'd expect from veteran filmmaker William Wellman.
March 4, 2015
The High and the Mighty hasn't held up well, but the portrayal of mid-50s American commercial aviation is interesting.
March 2, 2015
Very cool old original disaster movie
½ November 11, 2014
ok WWII pic post WWII
May 28, 2014
A disaster movie that had no disaster. Spent far too much time at the beginning getting to know all the characters. Once the Duke took over you knew all would turn out right.
May 19, 2014
If you've ever seen 'Airplane' then a lot of this will seem very familiar, just remember that this was the original and serious. Difficult to take seriously now but almost a history lesson in pre jet flight. The soundtrack became a worldwide hit and Wayne was in the habit of whistling it when flying, just to 'calm' the passengers!
February 22, 2014
A great film that I watch every year. Love John Wayne in this role.
January 23, 2014
I was a Passenger Agent at SFo in the early 50's. The plane was coming from the SW and in real life would have landed at Half Moon Bay at the airport there used when bay area airports were not open due to weather. It would have been almost a straight end approach with a small turn to the north to the airport with the prevailing wind head on.
January 8, 2014
Charming in its rather quaint way. Shows how much we have changed since the 1950s. But its wholesome approach to life is refreshing. John Wayne didn't seem old enough to be an ancient pelican, but he's class all the way. I watched to the end and cheered when the plane landed despite my own cynicism.
October 16, 2013
Silly bit of John Wayne foolery. It was a standard to put Wayne in non westerns to continue his interpretation of the perfect American frontiersmen in plots outside of the Old West. In most cases, it doesn't work.
May 19, 2013
Watched because it was John Wayne not bad as they go
September 20, 2012
Very enjoyable air disaster movie. John Wayne plays a very subdued part and the screenplay is well-crafted. The tune is fairly memorable, as well--it even won an Academy Award.
September 6, 2012
This film probably invented most of the cliches for the airborne disaster movie , but it's still boring as hell and the melodramatic acting will have you rolling your eyes .
August 28, 2012
A little too long and boring for my liking.
July 29, 2012
I enjoyed this movie it is a fun movie
June 14, 2012