High Life Reviews

• Jul 21, 2020

It's a little slow compared to Interstellar but R. Pattinson is great. I can't wait to see him as Batman.

• Jul 21, 2020

Claire Denis jumbles High Life's thematic exploration of sex with a confusing plot structure and overly slow pace which offsets the film's uncanny ability to ask interesting questions and showcase the talent of leading man Robert Pattinson.

• Jul 14, 2020

Could have been better. A crew of criminals used as guinea pigs on a spaceship who aren't coming back. Incest undertones which grossed me out and a violent dildo riding machine for the prisoners, don't even ask. It was ridiculous

• Jul 11, 2020

I love slow intellectual movies that make one think. By reading the reviews I thought this might be one of those. While the visuals were as good as everyone says, I wasn't left pondering the meaning, I was pondering how my opinion of the movie was so out of step with mainline reviewers. Did I miss something? Maybe. But I won't be watching this one again to find out.

• Jul 02, 2020

Claire Denis is a fearless talent— "High Life" was a gift. 7.2/10

Claire Denis is a fearless talent— "High Life" was a gift. 7.2/10

• Jun 15, 2020

Not sure how this film got the praise that it did... The film was just bad throughout and tried several times to enjoy this movie but couldnt. Im a big fan of space movies and robert pattison was excellent in 'Good Time' but this movie was just terrible. Sorry.

• May 14, 2020

Loses half a star because it's missing an ending, but it's still a (inter)stellar film. Well shot and acted, and fascinating to a fault. 8/10.

• Apr 30, 2020

I had to pause this film at a couple of points. There were a few scenes in it that were so viscerally unsettling they made me feel sick inside. That aside, I thought this was a relatively straightforward film. All it did was just be a movie about what it would be like for criminals to get sent out into space for the rest of their lives and how they would cope with being out there, and I think what it got was fairly accurate. That's not to say it wasn't brutal. It was very brutal. I couldn't believe half the stuff I was seeing, and after watching this movie I wouldn't wish for a future where something like this happens. There were some positive moments though: getting to see Robert Pattinson play a dad was a personal highlight. That and the cinematography. I liked the closeness and simplicity of it. I think Claire Denis knows how to use minimalism in this film, which is saying a lot considering it's set in the vast outer space.

• Apr 23, 2020

This film attempts to explore existentialism and succeeds in the most part , its analysis of sex and reproduction are truly fascinating and it is brilliant how mortality and immortality are juxtaposed by the themes of the film, all told through a modern retelling of the classic space odyssey. The downfall of this film in the lack of coherence when it comes to storytelling and the sometimes shallow approach to philosophical themes.

• Apr 19, 2020

Some movies are disgusting, depraved, and perverted but use this as a way to tell a deeper truth about human nature. This movie is disgusting, depraved, and perverted but with no point behind it. The plot is non-existent, the acting is bad, the pacing is unbelievably slow, it's all painfully self-indulgent under the cover of being "arthouse" and "high-concept." The truth is there's no point to the movie except to try and string together as many demented "sex scenes" as possible. In the first ten minutes or so we see an extended close up of an infant's genitals, and that disgusting piece of child exploitation is sadly one of the tamer moments in the movie. The rest is just downhill from there. Unless you get off on rape and child nudity, this movie has nothing for you. I wish I had this two hours of my life back.