High Plains Invaders (Alien Attack)(Alien Western) Reviews

Gimly M Super Reviewer
    Nov 20, 2016

Much better effects than the average SyFy faire. James Marsters performs well considering, and the Western/Sci-Fi blend pays off. But it's still a TV Movie and it's a pretty silly one at that.

• Aug 08, 2014

About the nicest thing you can say about "High Plains Invaders" is that it's a B-movie that dares to think beyond its modest budget. It comes up with a fairly original plot, setting and creature design, and because of all that I almost hate to knock it. Screenwriter Richard Beattie actually put some thought into the story, even being so bold as to invoke the name Jules Verne at one point. It's a nice surprise, but unfortunately, the rest of this is so clunky that the one good element fails to shine through. It's fresh seeing the combination of a western paired with science fiction, but the western aspects such as the dialogue and weaponry is completely inauthentic and negates nearly evereything else in the film. The acting is wooden and the direction is still, with a conclusion that feels far to abrupt. The creatures of the title are interesting looking, and I am forced to admit the CGI used to bring them to life isn't the worst I've ever seen, but not enough is done with their backstory. You never really feel like you know what they're about or why they are here. And the title is far to similar to a certain Clint Eastwood picture, so much so in fact that "High Plains Invaders" feels wrong to say or at the very least, difficult. There's a lot more going on here than in your typical made-for-video dud like it, but you won't find this very entertaining either. With a little more effort, this may have actually been worth watching.

• Nov 22, 2013

131122: This was a surprisingly good movie...except for one thing. Why the heck do the makers of movies such as this have to use incorrect firearms? It's such a simple matter and I imagine not much difference in cost. If it wasn't for the modern revolvers, I would've given this film four starts. Having watched it on the small screen (Blackberry Z10), it's potentially an incorrect evaluation but the special effects seemed pretty good. The "bugs" did not appear too digitally inserted. Some good characters; I especially liked Rose Hilridge. Fun find.

• Jun 21, 2013

Wasn't horrible, but was boring.

Wasn't horrible, but was boring.

• May 12, 2013

Well I made it through this bizarre western/sci-fi mash up. That's about all I can say about this. The aliens are reminiscent of (copied from) War Of The Worlds on a smaller, cheaper scale as is the whole tone of this weird movie. Annoying female gunslinger/bounty hunter on the plus side James Marsters has great hair. 05.13 "The hanging of train robber Sam Phoenix (James Marsters) is abruptly halted by an invasion of aliens, forcing Sam and a ragtag group of survivors to find sanctuary in a church."

• Nov 07, 2012

When a small western town is invaded by alien bugs, convicted train robber Sam Phoenix becomes an unlikely hero. Well, this was a first for me - a Syfy original movie that actually wasn't horrendous to watch! The story is no masterpiece by any shape, size or form, but it is not that badly written compared to some of the other offerings from the TV channel. The acting is not as wooden as I expected, and it is always good to see James 'Buffy The Vampire Slayer' Marsters ham it up in a movie. The CGI is well handled and apart from a couple of dodgy shots, doesn't look like it was created using an etch-a-sketch. The gore is minimal and all you get is a bit of blood when someone is shot. All in all, this is no work of art - the story has a quite a few holes in it and the ending is one of those 'blink and you'll miss it' types, but if you are looking for something to take up 90 minutes that really doesn't take any thinking about, I have yet to come across a better Syfy original movie.

• Nov 01, 2012

Good concept. That's about it.

Good concept. That's about it.

• Jan 12, 2012

Giant bug-like aliens are attacking a bunch of survivors in the Wild West, including a convict sentenced to hanging, a headhunter,a biologist, etc. The people try to avert the attacks and even lead a successful mission against the alien's spaceship. A cheap extract from the War of Worlds with obsolete computer graphics, poor performance by all actors, and no script whatsoever.

• Nov 13, 2011

Well, this film certainly does have all the hallmarks of being an absolute disaster. But somehow it never manages to acheive the level of uber-stupidity that one expects going into a sy-fy channel production. The story isn't exceptionally interesting and shares more than one plot point with this year's 'Cowboys and Aliens', but it serves the movie well enough. There is a couple of moments of dopey dialogue, but for the most parts the characters are well written. There is one character in particular that annoyed the hell out of me, but for the most part everyone was well written and reasonably well portrayed. I was pleased to see James Marsters on the screen again, and turning in a solid performance as well. The visual effects are cheesy by mainstream movie standards, but are above average for the low budget film market. Definately not a film for everyone, but frequent viewers of low budget films may actually find this to be an enjoyable outing.

• Sep 05, 2011

Better than average dialogue, but otherwise a straightforward B-movie.

Better than average dialogue, but otherwise a straightforward B-movie.