High Roller: The Stu Ungar Story - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

High Roller: The Stu Ungar Story Reviews

½ September 10, 2016
A must see for fans of Stu Ungar.
½ July 18, 2015
It wasn't memorable. The film could have focused more on the genius that made him special, rather than create a generic drama that is incidentally the life of someone real.
½ February 4, 2015
A screenplay only a trained monkey could write.
½ November 25, 2014
Choppy transitions and poor acting
July 10, 2014
Decent film about my favourite poker player of all time. Was hoping it would document more about his career than focus on his personal life. Worth a watch at best if your interested in the legend that is Stu 'The Kid' Ungar.
July 10, 2014
3 stars because it s about the best pokerplayer ever!but they forgot a lot in this movie hope somebody make a new and better movie of Stu Ungar so he can get the respect he deserve!R.I.P Stu Ungar
July 10, 2014
Had all the drugs, alcohol, and sex any coming of age story could have but more Poker could of made this movie a hit.
July 10, 2014
Besides the pretty decent leading performance this movie is a piece of unorganized, confussing, and pointless crap.
½ July 10, 2014
The Unger story is such a great story and this is just pitiful to see it ruined like this. Miscasted and amateurish.
½ July 10, 2014
[font=Arial][color=white][font=Verdana]The true story of the man who won the WSOP three times, but was plagued by a drug and gambling addiction that became his downfall.[/font][/color][/font]

[font=Arial][color=white][font=Verdana]I don't really have much to say about this. I guess if you're a fan of poker or you REALLY like Rounders, this movie could be right up your alley. However, on the basis of a movie, it's okay I guess. Nothing really special, though I'd rather catch it late at night on HBO than pay to rent this.[/font][/color][/font]

[font=Arial][color=white][font=Verdana]The movie has mostly no name actors, so it can be a little goofy with the bad acting at times and Michael Imperioli (Sopranos) really overacts in his role as Stu. I guess the two could offset one another? I don't know. I'm rambling because I just don't have much else to say.[/font][/color][/font]

[font=Arial][color=white][font=Verdana]I mean, the movie isn't necessarily BAD, but I wouldn't say that it was good nor would I ever recommend anybody rent it. Too many other movies that are much more worth the time. Okay? I'll stop now.[/font][/color][/font]

[color=white][/color]
July 10, 2014
The portrayal of his ups and downs were pretty accurate. I felt that something was missing, since I'm more amazed about his poker skills I think I would've like to see more of that (and more of what not many know about). Overall, worth a rent if you're a Stuey Ungar fan.
July 10, 2014
i need to watch this ASAP
July 10, 2014
True story of the life and death of Stu Unger, the best tournament poker player ever.. Very good movie. Imperioli does a good job as Unger.
½ January 15, 2014
An interesting look into one of poker's most notable, notorious talents. Unfortunately, the poker, which was always such a major part of his life, is glossed over in a lot of ways; heavily summarized without showing much more than a glimpse into what made Stu so brilliant. That said, the cast is good, and the set pieces work very well. But for how it is billed, it disappoints.
November 10, 2013
Production is unable to overcome a pretty bad script. What is particularly unsatisfying to those who would be interested in this story (poker players, like myself) is the fictionalization of the people who surrounded Stu. This is more like a Lifetime Channel movie of the week with swearing. Things are toned down considerably. Ungar was a voracious coke-head, yet we only see him using once and that was an hour and fifteen minutes into the film. The movie is very superficial and glosses over the elements and people that makes the story so compelling.
½ November 4, 2011
Not a great, nor maybe even a good movie, but interesting and decent true story. p.s. I am putting it as a 3.5 instead of a 2.5 because it is a great story. Greatest Poker player in history. Should have been better as a movie though.
½ November 1, 2010
March 23, 2010
Full of lame montages and a horrible soundtrack. They can't even spell appearance right in the closing credits. This role wasn't much of a stretch for Imperioli, but it's nice to see Imperioli team up with Schirripa as both were in the Sopranos. Seeing Pat Morita was a pleasant surprise as well. It would've been a far more interesting movie with a greater emphasis on Stu Ungar's professional career.
March 3, 2010
½ January 19, 2010
No one shined and an hour too long. The movie could have definitely been better focused. Nonetheless an interesting watch for when someone's desperately bored !!!