High Society - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

High Society Reviews

December 14, 2013
For a remake, it certainly lived up to itself. I love the cast, the music, and all the jazz.
November 25, 2013
Such an amazing film.
½ November 19, 2013
Absent Sinatra, Kelly, and Crosby, High Society would be nothing more than a lackluster copycat of The Philadelphia Story. But the presence alone of these three turn an okay movie into a good one.
November 17, 2013
In 1940, a film called "The Philadelphia Story", starring Cary Grant, James Stewart, and Katherine Hepburn, was released to critical and financial success. It also received six Academy Award nominations, and won two for its screenplay and James Stewart's performance. Sixteen years later, a musical remake to this film titled "High Society" was made, this time starring Bing Crosby, Frank Sinatra, and Grace Kelly. Before I delve into my thoughts on "High Society", I'd like to briefly share my opinion on remakes in general. Unless they are based on a film that was bad and/or improve upon the flaws of their predecessor, I find remakes completely unnecessary and lazy especially when it's a good film that's being remade. So although it is a remake of a well-made comedy, "High Society" works reasonably well for what it is which is light, amusing musical entertainment.

A jazz musician by the name of C.K. Dexter-Haven (Bing Crosby) has recently been divorced from wealthy socialite Tracy Samantha Lord (Grace Kelly, in her final film role before officially becoming Princess Grace of Monaco). Despite this circumstance along with her recent engagement to snooty gentleman George Kittredge (John Lund), Dexter is still in love with her and determined to win her back. Things become further complicated when a magazine sends reporter Mike Connor (Frank Sinatra) and photographer Liz Imbrie (Celeste Holm) to cover the wedding in exchange of disregarding humiliating information about the family. Though Mike is very reluctant to be there, he does become attracted to Tracy as well. Now, Tracy must choose between Dexter, Mike, and George before the big day arrives.

If I could come up with only one reason why you should see this film regardless if you possibly don't care for either musicals or remakes, it would be for the cast. I don't recall another film in history that has brought together Bing Crosby, Frank Sinatra and Grace Kelly all in one film. Kelly ends her impressive acting career here with arguably the only comedic role she's played. One could say she's mostly imitating Katherine Hepburn here and that some of her previous roles (notably Frances Stevens in "To Catch a Thief") technically had even more underlying humor present. She still has fun with this role and has not lost any of the charm or beauty that made people like me love her in the first place.

Crosby and Sinatra also bring their usual charm and star power to their roles, most notably in the film's best musical number "Well, Did You Evah". I liked the chemistry between Kelly and Sinatra, and how he has to take time to warm up to her ways. Even though Crosby and Sinatra are both competing for Kelly's affection, I didn't mind that they were still friendly towards one another. If it wasn't for the star power of Kelly, Sinatra or Crosby, I would have forgotten that there were even actors in this film since the characters themselves are pretty underdeveloped, especially George. George is the type of character that was only created for the convenience of the plot and nothing more. He is an exceptionally poor antagonist to the story because he has no personality to him and he doesn't seem to enjoy being there.

I've already implied that "Well, Did You Evah" was the musical highlight of the film, but how do the other songs written by Cole Porter hold up in my mind? I'd say that with the exception of one or two forgettable tunes, the others range from solid to catchy. "High Society" (the opening tune sung by Louis Armstrong and his band), "Who Wants to Be a Millionaire", and "You're Sensational" come to mind when naming other well written songs. If you're a hardcore fan of Grace Kelly, Frank Sinatra, and the musical film genre in general, I think you'll find "High Society" to be fine, fluffy evening entertainment.
October 23, 2013
In many ways this is an all singing all colour version of the Philadelphia Story made 16 years earlier but this film has its strengths.

Although Grace Kelly has none of the unique charisma Katherine Hepburn has she did well. The real star of this film I feel is Louis Armstrong and his Jazz Band that do wonders for the feel of the film.

It's has a beautiful look to the film & some great musical numbers, it's different to Philadelphia Story in many ways & was a huge hit in its own right.
½ October 13, 2013
Much like the case of Pygmalion getting turned into the musical My Fair Lady, the classic 1940 romantic comedy The Philadelphia Story was remade in 1956 in the form of High Society. While this film is a decent musical, it's not nearly as good as The Philadelphia Story since it doesn't have the same scathing bite to it. This in turn, causes High Society to suffer since it seems to lose some of the story's meaning in its transition into a very light-hearted musical. Despite being a much weaker film, High Society is still an energetic and fun little musical thanks to solid performances and solid musical numbers. Still, between the two films, I would recommend The Philadelphia Story any day over High Society. But, hey, at least it's an actual good remake of a classic that's worth a look if you enjoyed the original film.
September 9, 2013
Bing Crosby + Frank Sinatra together is a treat, and Grace Kelly gives an entertaining flamboyant performance. This is a fun film, with foot-tapping jazz from Louis Armstrong & co too.
May 19, 2013
Has to be one of my favourite movies. Grace Kelly being beautiful and mighty, Louis Armstrong working his magic alongside singing greats Bing Crosby and Frank Sinatra. A musical genius, the philidelphia story was made proud in this rendition.
May 5, 2013
A musical remake of The Philadelphia Story. Despite the identical plot and musically inclined cast, the magic of Hepburn, Stewart, and Grant are lost. It is still an enjoyable musical, but not the classic its predecessor was.

Grade: B
½ April 12, 2013
As someone who is hooked on musicals and loves trad jazz, this ticks all my boxes.
½ April 7, 2013
love this, it tells the story sooo well, tho i still prefer the james stewart's version but this one is not bad, sooo not bad :) the old one is more classic ^^
March 17, 2013
Yes, it's a remake of "The Philadelphia Story" but it shows how far Grace Kelly developed from "High Noon".
½ February 26, 2013
Berühmte Songs aber unbehände Story mit überdrehten Charakteren
½ February 16, 2013
This is a musical adaption of the classic The Philadelphia Story and it boast a stellar cast as well including Bing Crosby, Grace Kelly, Frank Sinatra, and Louis Armstrong. It is light-hearted and not quite as good as Philadelphia Story but it still is worth watching if you like classic musicals.
½ January 23, 2013
So Charles Walters took one of my favourite movies (The Philadelphia Story) and made it a musical. How can I complain?
December 7, 2012
Would like to see at some stage.
½ November 30, 2012
Classic: beautiful songs, great singers, good dancing, and... Louis Armstrong
½ November 23, 2012
What's better than The Philadelphia Story? The musical, that's what! This classic has it all. Bing, Frank, Grace, Louis, they're all there with an excellent soundtrack. It's great to see Frank doing a movie with one of his idols, Bing.
October 29, 2012
I've heard the party song in this soo many times I was so excited to hear/see it in it's original context!!!