High Spirits - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

High Spirits Reviews

September 25, 2016
Despite a few great scenes, this film falls flat in almost every category. Its ending throws a real conclusion out the window in favor of a cliche 'everyone wins' affair that never deals with the ramifications of its choices.
June 13, 2016
Supposedly haunted castle soon becomes reality when two spirits take up residence. It's a goofy comedy that doesn't pretend to be intelligent.
December 26, 2015
My favourite movie of all times
November 1, 2015
WOW......WOW.....WOW.....SO SO SO SO SO BAD......MAN THIS IS SUCH AN AWFUL MESSY MESSY MOVIE 2 WATCH, IT IS SO SO SO SO DREADFUL, IT IS SUCH AN AWFUL MOVIE 2 WATCH, IT IS SO SO SO AWFUL MOVIE 2 WATCH, IT IS SO SO SO DREADFUL, IT IS SO SO SO DREADFUL, IT IS SUCH AN AWFUL MOVIE 2 WATCH IT IS SUCH AN AWFUL MESSY MOVIE 2 WATCH.......WARNING THIS MOVIE CONTAINS STROBE LIGHTNING EFFECTS THROUGHOUT THIS MOVIE......MAN THIS IS SUCH AN AWFUL MOVIE 2 WATCH, IT IS SUCH AN AWFUL MESSY MOVIE 2 WATCH, IT IS SUCH AN AWFUL MOVIE 2 WATCH, IT IS SUCH A BAD MOVIE 2 WATCH, JUST AVOID THIS MOVIE AT ALL IT IS SUCH A BAD MOVIE 2 WATCH, JUST AVOID THIS MOVIE AT ALL COSTS IT IS THAT BAD.....JUST DO NOT WATCH THIS MOVIE IT IS SO AWFUL.......ITS GOT A GOOD SOUNDTRACK THROUGHOUT THIS MOVIE.....BUT MAN THIS MOVIE IS SO SO SO AWFUL 2 WATCH....
May 28, 2015
Some dilapidated castle in Ireland seeks to renovate its image but selling to thrill-seeking Yankees the possibility that it may be a haunted castle. There's lots here that's good, Jordan most at home with the particularly Irish elements of the tale (O'Toole is great as the hapless castle owner) but there's one thing that's bad: Steve Guttenberg, and not because of Guttenberg himself. No. Its his part, his lines. Its as if the character was written for another movie, with no part in this one. The rest was okay stuff.
April 15, 2015
A forgettable mess from a good director.
½ January 30, 2015
Just as ridiculous as I remember from when they used to show this on Comedy Central. Pretending like there are ghosts to draw people and then managing to piss off all the ghosts that actually live there.
½ November 9, 2014
All of Jordan's shortcomings stuffed into one irritating, unfunny, painfully stupid package; the broad, juvenile comedy; the yelling and screaming in place of drama; the hysterically fluctuating tone. And none of his good qualities are there to balance it out. The romance between Hannah and Guttenberg is one of the worst things I've ever seen in a movie.
½ October 31, 2014
A family favorite. We watch this movie to get us into the Halloween Spirit. Where else can you watch a movie with Liam Neeson with so little credit, a virtual unkown when this movie came out in 1988. Will continue watching with the family each Halloween.
½ February 25, 2014
I loved this movie. Was great fun
February 21, 2014
Just rent it from netflix. Its so great.
½ October 15, 2013
High Spirits is a decent film. It is about when Peter Plunkett's Irish castle turned hotel is about to be repossesed, he decides to spice up the attraction a bit for the 'Yanks' by having his staff pretend to haunt the castle. Peter O'Toole and Steve Guttenberg give performances. The script is enjoyable but a little slow in places. Neil Jordan did an alright job directing this movie. I liked this motion picture because of the humor.
½ October 6, 2013
Super camp 80s movie with a completely random 80s comedy plot and awesome 80s special effects. Also, a talking horse.
½ September 20, 2013
afwul....waste of money and talent...terrible
½ July 20, 2013
I loved this movie when I was younger!! Wish I could find it on dvd.
½ June 3, 2013
I can be a bit campy, but I love Peter O'Toole. And there aren't very many romantic/comedy ghost stories out there. So I still watch it every October. ;)
December 1, 2012
They messed it up. Even Peter O'Toole couldn't fix it. Daryl Hannah was gorgeous though.
November 25, 2012