High Strung - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

High Strung Reviews

January 31, 2013
hilarious watched it over and over again when I was younger!
December 22, 2012
I absolutely love this movie. It is a must see!
August 17, 2012
This movie has no real plot, and is basically an hour and a half long stand up act with sets. I loved it! =D
½ May 6, 2012
A strange film that has no real point to it, just one guy being pissed with everything around him. Its not hilarious by any means but it is amusing in places, the waitress piss take, the fly impersonation and the phone conversation with an automated call machine :) Carrey is in it but not until the end and even then its kinda lame, you can see 'Ace Ventura' coming. Its basically an Oederkerk vehicle but the problem is he isn't THAT funny, still...not bad though.
½ December 1, 2011
Some people just don't understand how a movie about a guy complaining into the camera for an hour-and-a-half could be any good. Well, when that person is Steve Oedekerk (the man who wrote Ace Ventura 1 & 2 and Kung Pow: Enter The Fist) ...there is still some confusion.

To clarify, this movie is shot almost entirely in one apartment and could very well have ended up being just any stand up act. Yet, it becomes more than that. The central character, Thane Furrows (Oedekerk) is constantly at the height of frustration, and is being bombarded by minor annoyances as well as cryptic death threats. These increasing inner and outer influences slowly bring his "contents under pressure" to a roiling boil and an eventual breakdown until he finally comes face-to-face with death (Jim Carrey.)

Seeing the very limits of Thane's ability to get angry about things like watermelon popsicles, along with the director's ability to keep shots both interesting and effective in one location make for both a strong performance, and a well crafted and hilarious (almost) one man show. Jim Carrey, Fred Willard and Tom Wilson (Biff Tannen from 'Back to the Future') also grace the screen to keep things interesting.

One of my favorites and worth a try for anyone who's ever gotten too upset over nothing at all (or at lest gets a kick out of watching other people that do.)
August 18, 2011
This is one of the greatest movies I have ever seen. Jim Carrey is a five minute side-note, but Steve Oedekerk delivers fantastic seamless monologues that make a 90 minute movie seem like 15 golden minutes I want to watch over and over. Oedekerk portrays a disgruntled life-o-phobe who complains about everything and wishes for death at the slightest inconvenience. The genius is in the complaints and their catalysts. The last time I watched the movie was about nine years ago and to this day I think of it and smile every time I pour milk in my cereal.
September 28, 2010
So simple and yet, so funny! They don't make these anymore.
June 18, 2010
A fantastic comedy that everyone can relate to. Extremely quotable, it's a joy to watch everytime. Such gems like "Smokers. There's no excuse for smoking. Smoking is the equivalent to carrying around a salt lick, laced with a little bit of cyanide." Or of course, "I'd rather... be... DEAD!"
June 15, 2010
redefines the term "unfunny"
½ June 12, 2010
Fun classic movie. Brings me back to Canada, for some reason.
½ May 17, 2010
One of my favorite comedies to say the least. The plot is basically just a guy sitting in his apartment complaining about everything. At first glance it might seem lame, but I was laughing throughout the entire thing. I can't help but love this movie. Steve Oedekerk did such a great job in this movie. He is the reason it works. A rare comic gem.
February 28, 2010
an early steve oedekerk/jim carrey collaboration. the plot revolves around thane furrows (oedekerk) who complains about everything wrong in his life, whether it be his job as a children's book writer, to the metalhead who lives in the apartment above him (played by warrant frontman jani lane), to his many hatreds of life outside of his apartment, usually ending his rants with "I'd rather be dead!" as he continues throughout the movie with his many complaints, he starts to see a strange man whenever he closes his eyes (played by jim carrey), who just so happens to be the devil. this movie is almost a one man show, with steve oedekerk taking up almost the entire hour and a half by himself, but it actually works very well because his rants are hilarious. highlights include his rant about happy the clam and the scene where he is chatting with the devil. recommended for fans of oedekerk and carrey.
October 7, 2009
Hilarious. Great for people who find the crap in everything!
June 11, 2009
One of my all time favorites and one of the best comedies ever made! Don't get confused by Carrey being on the cover... its all about Oedekerk. Absolutely hilarious and I don't know how, since it is basically a guy going off on all the stuff he hates for the whole movie.
February 1, 2009
Odekerk's gotten better as time has gone on.
½ January 19, 2009
One of the most unique and hilarious comedies I've seen in quite awhile. Steve Oedekerk as a cynical asshole ranting to a camera for 90 minutes. Littered with interuptions by other minor characters, and a surreal climax with a young Jim Carrey as death. I can't believe I just discovered this cult classic.
September 21, 2008
Hands down... best movie ever.
½ September 15, 2008
It intigued me, yet, I wisj I got that hour and 22 minutes left where he was just ranting in his home, the plot thickens, in the last 11 minutes of the film..
½ August 11, 2008
funny, very very low budget comdedy that has a very young jim carrey in a cameo.