Highlander 2: The Quickening - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Highlander 2: The Quickening Reviews

½ March 19, 2015
Quite possibly the worst sequel ever made.Only watch the Renegade Version.
February 12, 2015
VERY GOOD THIS MOVIE! THANKS TO THIS FILM AND THE FIRST, ALSO THANKS TO THE ANIME FILM, I'M A FAN OF HIGHLANDER!
½ January 31, 2015
A complete turd. The filmmakers didn't understand their own project and they undermined their own past film! The film begins in the future where Conner the Highlander has helped some scientists create a shield to protect the earth's ozone layer. Later on the film states that all of the immortals who die on earth go back to a planet called ziest until they are killed on ziest and returned to earth, WTH!! This plot point was created I'm sure as a reason to bring Sean Connery character back for the sequel. Michael Ironside plays general katana. Ironside is mostly a good serviceable actor in most roles. But for this film he was completely wasted. I could sense that he was trying to channel Clancy Brown, the Kergan and the villain from the first film. But he came of as a moron and a clown.

The filmmakers didn't understand that Connery's character was already dead at the start of the first film and that his story was being told in flash backs. The movie was so bad that during the zyst scenes you can see actors being tossed around by an fx crew hidden in the sand. pathetic!! This film has several versions and they all sucked!
½ November 28, 2014
Probably the biggest "what-the??"moment in science fiction cinema. If it doesn't tie with "Battlefield: Earth" as being the worst sci-fi movie, it sure does rank just an inch below it!
½ October 29, 2014
Yeah............ I've got nothing.
September 27, 2014
Confusing and tedious.
½ June 29, 2014
Weather you're a Highlander fan or not, you'll hate this movie. The writing is the single biggest problem in the film. They are not aliens, "The Quickening" is a completely different meaning, Ramirez resurrection makes no sense, Connor turns old then young again, why is this in the 21st century and whats with the ozone layer plot. So many inconsistencies and so many other flaws. They even made a new cut of the film a few years later to fix the mess of the theatrical version, it didn't help and if anything it was worse. "Highlander 2" can not be redeemed and is doomed for all eternity.
June 29, 2014
Not as good as the first movie. It contradicts the plot of the first movie and the acting dropped off as well.
May 24, 2014
One of the prime examples of so bad it's good cinema. Awful in every way. But hugely entertaining thanks to overacting, crappy special effects and crazy shit in every scene.
TheDudeLebowski65
May 21, 2014
The first Highlander was a terrific action, fantasy Science Fiction film that was highly entertaining, and delivered some impressive thrills, memorable action and a great soundtrack. But this sequel, fails to entertain and it's a ridiculous, poorly made film that just doesn't satisfy. This sequel has been said that it ranks among one of the worst films ever made, well I have seen far worse than this, but nonetheless, it's pretty bad. Whatever you've enjoyed about the original is ruined due to a lacking script, poorly constructed action scenes and lack of any memorable moments. I am a big fan of the first film, and I was somewhat hoping that the reviews for the follow up were somewhat false, but they are pretty accurate in describing the film. What really makes this a pitiful sequel is the fact that it the potential of being so good, but the filmmakers just didn't seem to care at crafting a worthwhile follow up to a classic action film. This is just lazy filmmaking at its very worst, and the film is just tedious, incoherent, and pointless in the way that it handles its story and ideas. I had high hope for this one, but like everyone else, I was let down by the lack of good ideas, effective action and good performances. The original Highlander had great performances, a terrific concept and well executed action scenes, which is something that this follow up does not have. Don't expect anything this film, as it fails to entertain and it's a mess from start to finish. If only the filmmakers would have put much more effort into this film, maybe it would have been good; however it's a pointless, unnecessary film.
½ April 1, 2014
It "creatively" gets round the problem of the first movie's solid and definitive ending, I'll give it that. It makes little sense, but at least there was a little effort. Unlike the shoehorning in of super-powered, guardian-angel Ramirez, what?! 0% on Rotten Tomatoes. This movie is horrifically awesome.
March 31, 2014
Imagine if Blade Runner had been directed by Ed Wood. With its unbelievably bad dialog, editing& tone Highlander 2 is so awesome in it awfulness that it ends up being funny as hell. It deserves one star ....but I'll secretly give it 3
January 17, 2014
I know this film has been cut & re-cut many times but with the definitive version it's quite an ok film. The scenario has massive loop holes but still the look & design of the film are much better now & the story more entertaining & fun. It's almost a different film & not entirely a sequel. Having loved the first one i can't pretend i'm not a bit disappointed with the sequel but i still think it's far better than film 3 & 4 & 5... Far from being a success, Renegade or Quickening is an interesting film.
December 15, 2013
personally i loved it im a highlander fanboy and it gave a alternate telling of the series
½ October 29, 2013
People call it the worst sequel ever for a reason!
October 21, 2013
What the hell?... Why not go and make a sequel to explain everything that happened in the first movie??.. this is why not people. Whose idea was it to bring back a dead character?! what the??.. damn changing the earthy feel of the first highlander into some corny sci-fi..damn... I hope some studio exec is getting slapped because of this debacle.
October 20, 2013
This was the most disappointing sequel I have ever seen changes the whole reason for the movie...
October 11, 2013
Audiences unfamiliar with the first film will be hard put to follow the action [from a story by Brian Clemens] as it incoherently hops about in time and space.
October 9, 2013
Terrible turncoat abandons the clever plot of the original for grade Z nonsense. Don't hold this dud against the original.
September 28, 2013
A twist is added as we see more of a background behind Highlander's history and origin. Story is set in 1999 and it's got some crazy mashup events that make it clear that there really can be only one.