Highlander: The Source - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Highlander: The Source Reviews

½ June 22, 2016
Dear God. For as much as I loved Adrian Paul's Duncan MacLeod in the Highlander television series, it does not make up for how absolutely shitty this film is. So so so bad. It's one of those times where you are praying for those 86 minutes of your life back.
½ October 18, 2015
I feel.... insulted. I feel like I was flipped the big F... YOU, to my intellegence, and to my fandom. U created an awesome plot concept- Immortals, with a shroud over their origins, and why they must battle till there's only one. U developed awesome characters- Conner & Duncan MacLeod, Methos, Amanda, and Joe (don't even get me started). And u dare put this crap of a movie out, to answer the question all us fans have wanted answered for 20 years. And ur answer is.... they get to conceive a kid. The answer is suddenly they aren't shooting blanks, when they screw? That's the prize? That's why they've been decapitating each other? Boinking, and popping out a brat? And then it starts over again? ARE U FUCKING KIDDING?!!! I tried to overlook the bullshit insult in ENDGAME, where Jacob Kell kills not just one but several Immortals on Holy ground, and absolutely nothing catastrophic happened. But this? This unforgivable. U FUCKING KILLED JOE, FOR THAT? HUH? WHAT??!!!! I WOULD RATHER THEY'D JUST LEFT THE QUESTION UNANSWERED. AND, WE'RE SUPPOSE TO BUY THAT IT'S JUST COINCIDENCE THAT THE ONE FEMALE IMMORTAL CHOSEN TO BE A MOTHER, JUST SO HAPPENS TO BE DUNCAN'S EX-WIFE? DUNCAN, METHOS, DUNCAN'S EX, and the OTHER THREE IMMORTALS- WHOM AREN'T EVEN WORTH MENTIONING CAUSE I HAVE NO IDEA WHO THEY ARE- WEREN'T EVEN THE LAST Of THE IMMORTALS, SO EVEN THE "THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE" CREDO MEANS NOTHING!!!! OH WAIT, THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE "MOM & DAD"! FUCK NO, CUZ THEY SAID ONE! NOT ONE MAN & ONE WOMAN! THIS SHITTY ATTEMPT AT TYING UP THE HIGHLANDER SAGA JUST FUCKING BLEW CHUNKS!!! AND I THOUGHT, THE ATTEMPT TO MAKE THE IMMORTALS ALIENS WAS AN INSULT!!
½ September 17, 2015
While it's fun to watch Adrian Paul return as the titular hero, the awful script and sub-par acting make this film difficult to watch.
½ July 26, 2015
Though the Highlander series ran its course prior to the release of the second movie, I felt a need to see just where Highlander: The Source stood

There has never been a Highlander film which has suceeded at box office and so the general desire to make another film in a desperate attempt to capitalise on its cult fan based is senseless. The production is therefore doomed from the start, but I never expected them to be of quality this abhorrent.
The production values for the Highlander series have never been as low as Highlander: The Source. Considering that Highlander: The Source is the first film in the series not to feature Christophe Lambert and to be released directly to television, this does not come as a surprise. It takes no time to come to this realization, and it is a most painful one to confront.
Never did I expect that the Highlander series would resort to production values as minimal as Highlander: The Source. As much as Highlander II: The Quickening is the single worst film of all time, at least it had production values. With Highlander: The Source, things look so pathetic and cheap that I honestly wonder if anyone behind the production of this travesty was honestly trying. People on YouTube have may fan-films with production values better than Highlander: The Source. Those films did not have a budget of $13 million or the presence of Adrian Paul, they simply had a thing called common sense.
Nearly the entire film feels like it was shot in front of a blue screen. Not a green screen, a blue screen. It is always obvious when this is the case because the cast could not be more distant from the "backgrounds". It's painfully fake enough already without the film hitting viewers over the head repeatedly with every single shot. Even in the shots which are on location everything is messed up because Highlander: The Source because the cinematography is too shaky or too zoomed and the colour cheme is messed up. Everything looks so roughly monochromatic and blurry that attempting to configure what is happening proves a real challenge. Highlander: The Source could seems more like Brett Leonard was asked to direct an episode of Buffy the Vampire Slayer and suffered a stroke during the production. It doesn't make sense because he is the director of The Lawnmower Man and Virtuosity which were both said to feature groundbreaking visual effects at the time of their release. With Highlander: The Source however, the visual effects are the kind which long to be of the quality provided by Superman IV: The Quest for peace. I thought the visual effects in Highlander III: The Final Dimension looked cheap, but this is honestly beyond comprehension. And when it comes to the action, the choreography is thin and the editing is still poor. Basically, every single technical element of Highlander: The Source is a massive blunder, and so the value of the film as a visual experience is torture for the mind.
Of course, the writing is nothing to boast about either. The screenplay is full of thin characters and cheesy dialogue, but there is one thing about it that particularly bothers me.The line "There can be only one" loses all meaning in Highlander: The Source because it is overplayed so excessively by so many characters to the point that it goes beyond having no meaning. I wish more people had have listened when the line was uttered in the first film and taken notice to the fact that it was referring to the notion that no sequel to Highlander ever needs to be made. Unfortunately, now we live in a world with four sequels. How is that even possible? It's just reassuring that the incompetence of Highlander: The Source served as the final nail on the coffin of the series before what would have been a planned trilogy. But only time will tell, because as Michael Corleone said and the filmmakers proved with Highlander on multiple occasions "Just when I thought I was out... they pull me back in". I would beg fans not to see the series sink this low once again because they already went low enough with Highlander II: The Quickening. Alas, they risk giving in to temptation as I did.
And the cast of Highlander: The Source are as pathetic as everything else around them, but the only person who is worth writing about proves to be Adrian Paul.
Adrian Paul is a sorrowful lead in Highlander: The Source which palese in comparison to the last time he played the role in Highlander: Endgame. Adrian Paul's current career consists mainly of appearing in Z-grade mockbuster films distributed by The Asylum, and yet even those films have more value than Highlander: The Source. Perhaps this film was the turning point for him where he began to go further downhill than his already low-profile career had become in a desperate attempt to keep his cult status as Duncan MacLeod. There is no passion in his performance, not even any dying spirit of the once great cult legacy that was given to him by Highlander: The Series, and his desperate attempt to bring that back with this schlocky excuse for a film. I don't blame Adrian Paul for not bothering to try in Highlander: The Source because nobody else did, I just wonder how he got roped into doing such a terrible film and even into producing it. His presence in Highlander: The Source will not please fans, it will simply insult them to leave them learning that he would leave them disgraced by agreeing to appear in a different level of low point for the Highlander series.

So though its story is not as incompetent as Highlander II: The Quickening, many would argue Highlander: The Source as the worst of the series due to its lack of genuine purpose for existence coupled with production values so poor that they make Ed Wood's films look like that of Martin Scorsese.
July 2, 2015
It needs Queen music and to be more like the TV show. Please don't suck!
½ March 18, 2015
If you thought Highlander 2 was bad then you haven't seen Highlander: The Source.
March 7, 2015
This movie assumes know who these characters are, which I did not. It does give enough story background to understand what is going on, but when some characters meet their fate, it did not effect me because I did not know who they were or how they fit into the story line. Average effects, ho-hum story about immortality, and probably one of the hokiest endings I've seen. I just shook my head and wondered why this was given to me to watch.
½ January 23, 2015
As a fan of both the Original Highlander movie, and Highlander: The Series, I was looking forward to the theatrical release of Highlander: The Source, and was disapointed to find that it was released only on the Sci-Fi Channel...

That was until I actually just saw the thing- Yikes!! This is easily the worst movie I have seen in a very long time- At least since the occasions that my brother, uncle & I gathered to watch & have a laugh over a few drinks out of a few old 50's "B" movies that we bought or rented for the night. This corny, impossibly convoluted and horribly written mess fits right in, with the exception that the old "B" movies were actually better written and at least fun to watch. Watching this movie? More akin to torture.. Like I said, I am a fan & I was willing (and indeed tried!) to cut the movie some slack, but even I found it tough to slog through the whole thing. I just couldn't believe that experienced directors & script writers- who had done OK with the TV series- could so thoroughly butcher something this badly. It is a completely amateurish effort, at best, and the fact that it seems to take itself so seriously only adds to the overall ridiculousness of the whole surreal experience of watching it.

The story has so many holes, you could drive a fleet of Hummers through it, for starters. It would take pages to enumerate them all, but here are a few choice ones... If Eastern Europe is in such chaos (as apparently it is in the movie), why are the lights left on (let alone all even working) in a big- and EMPTY- soccer stadium at night? How many priests in The Vatican (or indeed anywhere else) have hair-doos & shades like the lead singer for "A Flock Of Seagulls"? Duncan lost his prized katana that he took so much pride in over the course of the TV series in terms of both its craftmenship and how/why he had originally obtained it, and here he doesn't even bat an eyelash over it's loss. And how the hell was Reggie able to log on to an unsecured wireless network with his laptop in a chaotic Eastern Europe from anywhere ranging from a medieval mountaintop monastary to a shack in the middle of the woods? Man... I can't do that in present-day technologically advanced Japan. Or perhaps he was logging onto his own WiFi... And just had a super-duper, hyper-powerful wireless router, or.... Sumthin.

Anyway, even "End Game" which was in no small part an incoherent mess itself, had it's redeeming moments- Adrian Paul & Christopher Lambert did in fact have a certain palpable mutual respect and chemistry- And over the last few years of the TV series, at least, Duncan MacLeod also shared a chemistry with Methos and Joe Dawson- The three had a certain camaraderie that was both visible and fun to watch- It helped you care about the characters and their stories (even if the overall story itself was often flawed) and this carried over to some extent with "Endgame". The action scenes in "Endgame" were also generally fun & sometimes exciting.

"The Source"? Nope- Not here... The writing is simply God-awful, and nothing of the old chemistry between Duncan, Joe, and Methos is on display here- most certainly not enough to rescue such an abysmal script. Ah yes... I didn't mention Duncan's love intrest, Anna (Thekla Reuten). Believe me, it's for a reason- she's about as forgetable as characters come. The action? Disappointing, and, at times, just plain silly-looking.. Especially disappointing since Adrian Paul took such pains to make it believable in the TV series. Silly because it is almost all cheap camera angles and ridiculous (and I don't mince my words) "special effects".

To conclude, I felt pretty let down this movie- If it had been just another stinker, I would not have spent as much time writing about it here, trust me. But I am a fan of the Highlander franchise and had looked forward to & actually cared about what I had hoped to be perhaps a better offering than "Endgame". Well, all I can say is that if this represents the direction of the series, then it's high time to stick a fork in it.
January 2, 2015
With sword fights going in "Munsters" super-speed. This final Highlander film ends the franchise with an unintentionally hilarity. Yeah I was upset and the death of a beloved character (totally saw it coming), but worth watching for the laughter.
½ June 24, 2014
It's awful. The actors must have been stuck in the contract to be ivolved in such a rubbish script. The plot is dire and written by someone who clearly knows nothing at all about how the solar system and galaxy work. With all te planets and all the stars in the galaxy apparently wandering off course to line up with the centre of the galaxy to point a finger of power at the earth. It's not even bad enough to be funny.
½ May 13, 2014
Not only the worst Highlander film but this is the worst film I have ever seen and I have seen Manos Hands of Fate and Plan 9 From Outer Space. Unless you want to have a movie put you in so much agony that you wish someone would cut your head off then avoid this film.
½ May 3, 2014
As a Highlander fan, this movie disappointed me. Not only is there almost no action, but the story is lacking as well. The origins of Highlander and immortality have been tried to be shown before and the story is somewhat complicated as well as confusing. This movie doesn't help all that much in that discussion; and don't even get me started on "there can be only one" thing because the whole franchise doesn't help it much. So many inconsistencies. This Franchise should have been over in 2000, and not resurrected without a good story that would bring closure to it.
½ February 15, 2014
I'm only giving this more than 1 star because I really like Adrian Paul and think he's a much better Duncan MacLeod than Christopher Lambert. That being said, I am a fan of the movies and the series. This one fell really flat and the ending was a huge let-down.
½ January 15, 2014
The one who made this sould go to shrink. This is so bad.
½ November 19, 2013
was decent was expecting more but it was somewhat satisfying
November 17, 2013
Although the photography is beautiful and stylistically lit it tends to be rather studio in look, somewhat spoiling the overall appearance of the film. The acting is rather shallow and does not give the characters any depth. The story is flimsy at best and gives the franchise a weak ending as the laziness seeps in. Nibbles: Chocolate Digestives and milk.
½ September 28, 2013
Ha ha ha it's that bad you have to see it! I'm going to give it half a star only because we have had so much comedy out of it.
½ August 21, 2013
Horrible movie sad to see Joe go.
½ June 28, 2013
In an attempt to recapture what the original created, Highlander: The Source is simply an insult not only to the franchise, but to the film industry. It seems the writer and the director haven't the skills to create a coherent and interesting movie. This film is like watching a music video with terrible acting and a completely irrational and nonsensical story. Stupidity is cast upon the ignorant watcher for viewing trash such as this. It is amazing how it took $13 million to create this tragedy.
April 13, 2013
This is so preposterous, so badly acted, structured, written and directed. It's sodden with z-level stylistic rip offs of Clive Barker, The Matrix... There's an action scene where the immortals interrupt some guy being set on fire, I've no idea if that guy was okay, but there was a big fight and some explosions and a montage so I guess... The film makes no sense, to the point it has to have a voice over explaining itself at the end which is actually utterly meaningless. And the song at the end... It's like a Trey Parker piss take. For all of these reasons, this film is worth 5 stars. Just... Amazing. It will blow your mind.