The Hills Have Eyes - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Hills Have Eyes Reviews

September 17, 2015
Liked this better than the original but I hated the original so that is not saying much.
September 2, 2015
Intense, suspenceful, scary, Ferocious, Extremely gory and bloody, Wild and brutal plus shocking to the max The Hills Have Eyes remake is one of the most terrifying Horror films ever made and when compared to the original 1977 Wes Craven movie this one surpass the original Hills Have Eyes in many ways. The story of this movie is about a suburban American Family who are traveling to San Diego by car. But soon when the family takes a shortcut from an advice to the gas station man and their car breaks down they soon learn they are not alone as the family soon discovers that they are the target of a group of cannibals who survived the nuclear bombing in that area. The family must now defend themselves and fight against these mutants in order to survive. I remember the first time watching this film I seriously loved it. It was one of those Horror films that truly frightened me and it still shocked me today since I watched it for the seventh time. I really enjoyed this movie because it has all the incredible elements of a survival film combined with gritty elements in the mix. What makes The Hills Have Eyes remake an amazing movie is that this film is well paced from start to finish. I love how the film starts with a solid flow in the first half and I enjoyed how it changes its pace in the next half by going into the grittiest direction and it really becomes gruesome and more violent at the same time. The other things I like about this film is the impressive camera work by cinematographer Maxim Alexandre, you get to see loads of beautiful shots and sceneries in certain parts of the film that are combined with a sinister and gritty atmosphere (Lots of incredible mountain shots, the scene where we get to see a big crater from the Nuclear bombing) plus the film's settings are eerie and creepy at the same time (The creepy abandoned ghost town and the crater sequence) and it makes the film look more frightening and well shot. One of the other things that I like about this movie is the characters. All of the characters are so likable and believable in the movie and you get to feel sorry and frightened for them at the horrible situation they are in when they realize that they are not alone and none of them were annoying at all which I truly think is so cool for the movie. What I also like about this movie is that this film is packed with loads of scenes that are very scary, suspenceful and gritty plus Ferocious as well (The intense opening scene, Big Bob getting attacked by Papa Jupiter and he later on gets burned alive, the attack at the trailer, the intense fight between Doug and Pluto at one of the abandoned houses that was bombed, the exploding trailer scene and the unexpected and suspenceful fight scene in the finale) and the scenes are extremely tense to the max. The other things that I enjoyed in this movie is that this film is also full of brutal and violent kills. Seriously all of the kills in this movie are shocking, wild, violent and extreme to the max (There's the brutal pick ax to the head, the shocking death of Big Bob, the killing inside the trailer were two girls both get shot one in the head the other in the stomach, the super graphic and gory suicide shotgun blast to the head, the bloody fight at the house between Doug and Pluto where you get to see Doug gets his fingers chopped off before he attacks Pluto with a screwdriver and then Doug gets the upper hand by stabbing him in the throat with a small American flag, the sequence where Cyst gets an Axe to the face, the nasty sequence where the dog Beast rips the throat of Goggle in a gory and horrific way and the brutal scene where Doug shoots Lizard three times with a shotgun.) and the gore goes all the way up in this film as you see loads or tons of blood gushing out of every kill and the gore and kills are pure shocking to the bones each of them is more disturbing than the last plus The soundtrack composed by Tomandandy is incredible and it really makes the film look grittier than the original. But what I like about this movie the most is the design of the cannibals in this film. While in the original the cannibals were tame and not scary enough because they look more like homeless people attacking a family. In this remake the cannibals are Cannibals in this film. They look real from their design and its like you are looking at someone who survived the atomic bombing of an area and each of them is extremely frightening and I think Pluto was the most terrifying out of the cannibals while Lizard is the most ferocious one and the cannibals look much better here than in the later on Wrong Turn films. Now the acting is amazing. You get to see loads of incredible performances from a stellar casts like Aaron Stanford as Doug Bukowski, Silence Of The Lambs actor Ted Levine as Big Bob, Vinessa Shaw as Doug Bukowski's wife and sister of Brenda and Bobby, Emilie De Ravin as Brenda Carter the youngest sister of Bobby then of course you have the young Dan Bird as Bobby Carter and from the mutants Michael Bailey Smith and Robert Joy deliver incredible yet terrifying and horrific performances as Pluto and Lizard respectively. Director and Writer Alexandre Aja did an amazing job in remaking Wes Craven's classic film of the same name. This is why I love French Directors because they know what they are doing and they know what audiences are scared of the most and I love how he created something grittier than Craven's original movie and I love the way Alexandre Aja kept the pacing in the proper direction without messing it up and I truly enjoyed the look of this movie thanks to Alexandre Aja this is the best movie he made since Haute Tension and Piranha 3D. Overall The Hills Have Eyes remake is a ferocious, intense, wild, bloody, gruesome, gory and violent Horror movie that delivers lots of thrills and suspense at the same time. This movie gets a 10.6/10.
August 5, 2015
Unrated version: Sadistic violence is its only thing. No development on the characters or even much of a convincing plot to make it cool enough.
July 25, 2015
Good remake with plenty of gore and scary imagery to keep fans of the original happy but near the end of the film some pretty silly and unrealistic shit starts to happen.ÔŽ
June 30, 2015
Went into this movie thinking it was going to be a sweet and successful change from the typical, unpleasant and unenjoyable slasher movies like Friday the 13th-but I was sadly mistaken. This movie that had such incredible potential and was completely shot down the drain With poor character development, unnecessary, excessive and sickening violence and gore. Wish they had developed the villains more like the original had.
June 21, 2015
Creepy and twisted, very fun
June 19, 2015
Although I saw the original 'The Hills Have Eyes", I don't really remember all that much about it. I wish I could say the same about this slow moving, extremely violent and bloody remake which just isn't that great.
½ June 12, 2015
really terrific horror. great turnaround. nice ambiguity. nice setup. nice shots/environment. aja really nailed this one, and while i'm not a big fan of the original anyway, this is brutal and great and bloody and a hella good time. it's a shining example of how remakes ought be handled. i think the director's cut could be shortened a tiny bit, but other than that. rly great.
½ June 9, 2015
The remake of The Hills Have Eyes is an enjoyable flick that doesn't disrespect the original which I don't really remember much about it even when I first watched it. The acting is really good, and unlike most remakes, the pacing goes fast which I'm glad to see that it's trying to not be boring. The characters are very lacking and only seem to talk less about the character development, and they are not that smart except for the dog who I want to live the most even though I still want the other characters to live, but not as much, but also not likable which is good. As much as I like the make-up in this, I wished that it could've been more disturbing. There is 1 or 2 characters that the make-up is a bit disturbing, but I think that it should've been more similar to the beginning when they showed pictures of people that had radiation. The plot, from what I remember, is like the original, so that's good, and there's some scares that are good and unexpected, and is also nice that most of the scares are in the day too as almost all of horror films creates the scares in the night. The gore effects look good, and it's nice to see that it didn't focus that much on the gore effects. There are some moments that didn't really make sense, and there are some questions that weren't answered. The Hills Have Eyes is a really good remake that I'm kind of glad to see that it made Alexandre Aja a bit well known although I don't think that he's not going to be the director that saves the horror genre.
May 17, 2015
Another good horror remake of Wes Craven's 1977 film. Truly the most shocking and disturbing horror film this year (so far).
½ May 9, 2015
Sometimes hard to watch and recommend. But all and all it's a good remake and the film's ending is a good payoff. The gore is effective, the acting solid and gritty directing.
½ May 2, 2015
As a big horror movie fan, this was probably one of my least favorite movies. It is very disturbing and pretty suspenseful but in my honest opinion, don't watch it if you want to watch a solid movie.
½ April 26, 2015
Another one of those lost in terror trips!
April 20, 2015
The hills have eyes remake lacks the sly humor of the original, but compensates with unusually above average performances, visceral horror/violence and tight direction by Alexandre Aja.
½ April 11, 2015
It's one of the bloodiest, most depraved movies I've ever seen. Yet there's something beautiful about Alexandre Aja's movies. He's like a modern day Asia Argento. I can only recommend it to hardcore horror fans. Others won't be able to handle it.
½ April 3, 2015
Goes on and on and then throws as many shocking images at you as it can, in the hopes of any sort of reaction....mine, intense boredom.
April 1, 2015
This is a sick remake from the classic horror film from the 70's. Very violent, bloody and graphic, this new take on Wes Craven's original is very well directed by French new comer Alexandre Aja. The film benefits of a bigger budget than the original and an amazing cinematography and camera work, which truly raise the level of the film to a whole new level of plastic and visual beauty. It's actually rare to watch a horror film that looks, sounds and feels like someone was actually giving a dam about the technical aspect instead of focusing solely on the blood and death scenes. What i liked best about this film is the general madness.... it seems like they completely unleashed the beast with this film, going for total carnage... it works really well, thrills and goose pumps guaranteed. This is a rare case of having a remake that is actually better than the original in my opinion. The 1977 one was basic and bare probably contrived by low budget imperatives, this one feels denser, more insane and definitely more scary.
March 25, 2015
Una de las que me faltaban de Aja y bueno por algo tiene muy mala fama.

Lo unico que no le puedo perdonar a esta pelicula es que sea aburrida y estupida.
March 17, 2015
The movie was okay until it suddenly becomes an awesome revenge flick in the second half, too bad the last shot of the movie made the ending pretty weak.
March 15, 2015
Better than the original (though it did not have much of an act to beat) but still just a fairly mindless gore fest.