The Hi-Lo Country - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Hi-Lo Country Reviews

½ June 22, 2016
Narrated by Billy Crudup one of those actors whose name you may remember seeing in a list of performers but most would find difficulty in identifying. I think it would be safe to say he has a love/hate relationship with Hollywood--it's where you go to make the movies but you don't want to get drawn in too tight. After all he refused the lead in Titanic to play a movie few have probably seen.

Ironic that at 6 1 Cole Hauser who plays Little Boy towers over his brother Big Boy. This movie turns the classic love triangle into a quadrangle as our two principals share an interest in another man's wife. Pete lusts after the unattainable while ignoring the woman who has always truly loved him. Is the baby whose name is to be Pete the child of his seed? Just asking.
½ August 1, 2014
I like this movie. It starts of slow but the acting from billy crudup and woody harelson are pitch perfect. Its tragic but well done. Only complaint the director could have found someone better than Patricia Arquette. She cute but bland.
April 5, 2014
good if not excellent
jjnxn
½ August 1, 2013
A miss from the usually stellar Frears. Slow moving and dull. The uninspired acting from everybody but Woody doesn't help.
½ December 25, 2012
I am really surprised that film buffs don't rate this movie higher!

This is a beautifully acted, directed and shot movie with a script that's a little slow in parts.

It's a character study.

It's an off-beat modern Western.

It's got Patricia Arquette at her sluttiest best, before she ballooned up and Penelope Cruz as a sexy-cute Latina girlfriend.

It's got Woody Harrelson and Billy Crudup doing a bang up job.

I found it mesmerizing.
March 25, 2012
Good potential. Phenominal cast. The story was crappy. Patricia Arquette was just a floosy whore and Billy Crudups character was stupid. FLOP!!
May 6, 2011
This is one of the finest movies I have ever seen. It is the interactions of the characters with one another as well as their surroundings that bring this movie to life, making you feel a part of the feelings these people have. You CARE about them, and your heart breaks right along with theirs. Excellent casting, and beautiful cinematography. If you get a chance, watch this film. The only move that has moved me as much as this one is Brokeback Mountain, for all the same reasons.
½ May 2, 2010
A Beautiful girl drive boys crazy. Patricia Arquette looked attractive and took a better part, but I prefer Penelope Cruz!
May 16, 2009
This is a truly awesome movie. This movie is my favorite for Woody Harelson. Billy Crudup also is absolutely amazing in this movie. If you like Billy Crudup you should also watch Waking the Dead!
April 11, 2009
Just happened to run across this one and found out it was worth trackin down and buying
½ March 18, 2009
Revu il y a peu, un film qui aurait merite plus d'attention. Une grande histoire americaine comme on les aime, avec Stetson!
January 31, 2009
well umn just seen this movie 4 the 1st time n think that this is a good movie 2 watch...its got a good cast of actors/actressess throughout this movie,,,i think that both billy crudup n woody harrelson play good parts throughout this movie...i think that the director of this action/adventure/drama movie had done a good job of directing this movie because you never know what 2 expect throughout this movie...its an enjoyable movie 2 watch
October 1, 2008
I know that i've seen it and i think that i enjoyed it but i can't remember it to save my life.
½ April 3, 2008
It telegraphs its ending a bit too much. The landscapes are beautifully shot and the characters well crafted, but Frears doesn't twist the tale enough for the love triangle western that it oughta've been. Frears definitely got better with age.
February 1, 2008
Biggest drawback of this film: Patricia Arquette - she underplays to the extent we don't believe her character.
Otherwise, not too bad a story. Woody Harrelson is good - as he almost always is.
½ January 15, 2008
Two man likes the same woman and they are the best of friends. It all starts when Pete gets home from the war. Mona flirts with him she is the wife of a foreman that has a boss that runs the Hi-Lo Country. They never get it on and Pete meets his girlfriend instead. He finds out his friend has getting on with Mona after he has come home. He pretends not to feel anything for Mona but that just makes him feel ill. He and his friend is cowboys in a world there that time has almost past. Things gets worse with time but in the end things turn out okay.
January 9, 2008
great modern western very hard to find on dvd tho.
December 20, 2007
Western from the 2nd world war era.
Woody Harrelson's best performance
November 28, 2007
A strong western themed movie from this era.