The Story of Marie and Julien Reviews

• Feb 17, 2016

Mystery and romance intertwine in this talky continental drama.

Mystery and romance intertwine in this talky continental drama.

• Aug 02, 2014

A very deliberately paced story, it keeps the viewer guessing what the movie is really about for quite some time. Yet somehow it's not boring. You do need to have patience to fully appreciate it, though.

• Aug 16, 2013

(***): [img]http://images.rottentomatoes.com/images/user/icons/icon14.gif[/img] Its overlong by at least 25 minutes, but the story did keep me interested throughout. Marginal thumbs up.

• Jan 20, 2012

Pure nightmare. There is no ground under your feet, no light from lighthouse. Only cold at your spine. Amazing how it can be done so simple.

• Nov 17, 2010

Wanna know the difference between French films and American films? Here's the answer. SPOILER: This is how the French handled the basic theme of "Ghost." With much intelligence, much mystery, slow revealing, slow pacing -- and, thank goodness, no Whoopi Goldberg whatsoever. RECOMMENDATION: It's Emmanuelle Béart. Be there.

• Doctor S Super Reviewer
    Sep 27, 2010

A modest little gem. As you probably guessed, this is about the relationship between Marie and Julien who reconnect after sharing an unspecified though likely intimate encounter one year ago. Not long after meeting Marie, I thought to myself, "There is something wrong with this woman" and I was right although not nearly in the way I expected. To reveal any more would be irresponsible, all I will say is that any seasoned moviegoer has seen dozens of this kind of movie, but I have not seen one handled quite this way which was very gratifying. It is slow, long, and methodical, there is absolutely no music soundtrack, and often you must watch people performing actions in silence. However if you are patient and curious enough to discover the secrets, there is quite a surprise in store, some genuinely erotic love scenes, and a teary, fulfilling conclusion. I've seen over 25 of Emmanuelle Beart's films and this rates among her finest, plus it features a cat named Nevermore who gives one of the best feline performances of all time! I'm very glad I went into this blind and you will be thankful too the less you know.

• alan j Super Reviewer
    Feb 22, 2010

this movie is so long and drawn out, and the payoff is minimal after such an arduous wait. Both lead characters act as though the entire story is a dream sequence, and Jerzy acts mainly stone faced throughout, as though he is in a permanent daze. At the least, Ms Beart is terrific to gaze at, and puts forth a believable performance. you have heard of the movie "Casper the friendly ghost" ? This movie would aptly be titled "Marie, the horny ghost". The best part of this dvd is the extra where the director is interviewed. His intellectual discussion about the difference between phantoms and ghosts provided me some needed unintentional humor after watching this movie

• Nov 27, 2009

Compared to the other Rivette film I've seen, La Belle Noiseuse, this is a pacey action packed spectacle which I think will make it more likely to garner repeat viewings. Whilst the twist in this love story might appear a little coarse on paper, it was handled with class and as the conceit revealed itself, it didn't seem that daft. The DVD case was a little misleading, with both the front and the back cover depicting hot naked lurve, but the sex scenes within are pretty tame, and you'd have to be pretty swift to sort yourself out before we leave them alone. That said, the sex scenes were interesting, which isn't something you often get to say. They're having a nice chat whilst performing le bonk, filled with metaphors about forests and stuff. If we're not gonna see her bush, at least let's have a bit of pretentious eurowaffle. And in case it needs spelling out, Emmanuelle Beart is still fit, 12 years after LBN. Maybe I should give Mission Impossible another look...

• Mar 01, 2009

this is definetely one of the most unconventional ghost stories i have ever seen. this isnt scary or even creepy but sad and despondent. movies like this make me wish that more rivette was available on dvd. i really loved the sparse sets as well and the very light music.it really lays on an aire of mystery

• Dimitris S Super Reviewer
    Oct 03, 2008

Expressive qualities won't be needed in the afterlife,ouch...as to not reveal much,Rivette underlines the importance of being loyal and rampaging your beliefs.Julien is a despicable person and Marie is the angel in disguise,and these malicious creatures crave each other like animals.Rivette's poetic way to show it all prevents him from offering a true masterpiece but I forgive him because his subplot devices and fascinating tempos distinguish him.