Hit 'n Strum - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Hit 'n Strum Reviews

January 14, 2016
Thoroughly enjoyed this movie. It didn't sink to maudlin sentimentality as I thought it might, but still a touching movie. And impressive directing, writing, acting and musicianship from Kirk Caouette. Also, I'm surprised I haven't seen Michelle Harrison in other movies..... Thanks for the satisfying storytelling!
½ January 20, 2014
Monday, January 20, 2014

(2012) Hit N' Strum
MUSICAL DRAMA

Straight-to-rental movie written, directed with a co-starring role by Kirk Caouette starring Stephanie(Michelle Harrison) accidently hitting homeless man Mike (Kirk Caouette) with her car while heading through an alley. And although, Mike wasn't hurt, Stephanie then tries to make it up to him on future occasions by buying him stuff such as an expensive acoustic guitar or an expensive coat instead of giving him some money. Viewers are never explained why she doesn't do that only to assume that homeless people are just going to waste it on booze and drugs anyway, even though there are no signs that indicate that Mike is one of those people. Anyways, because of Mike's pride he gives the stuff away to other homeless passerby's like the first person he sees instead of taking it to some pawn store and get a few extra dollars. And because he also plays music on the streets singing simple folk-like music, Stephanie then tries to either lift his spirits up or exploit his folk musical talent by trying to find a station that'll appreciate his music. Take my word for it, there aren't any surprises as the things Mike the street busker or the homeless musician gripes about things I am incapable to understand with the main one like 'how come you didn't notice me before, and that it wasn't until you hit me with your car that you started to pay more attention to me'. Like every wealthy socialite is supposed to acknowledge every poor talented homeless person when it's the gov'ts responsibility to do that. One of my main problems is that there's no sense of realism within it's two main characters such as where had Mike learned how to play? Had Mike ever thanked Stephanie for saving his life from TB? What is the real reason Mike is on the streets or even prefer that kind of lifestyle? Is it because he's dejected by his dad for viewers are never explained hardly anything about it's characters making them rather artificial. And the music works on like one or two scenes out of like 8 or more, and that is not sufficient enough to warrant this movie a pass.

2 out of 4 stars
½ July 26, 2013
I want to buy it as soon as it comes out on DVD or Blu Ray!
June 13, 2013
A well conceived and fair portrayal of pride meets privilege. When guards come down, we begin to see how choices matter, if not always as hoped for. Two great performances did not disappoint. Highly recommended indie.
May 15, 2013
This is a WONDERFUL, unique film. I love the authenticity of the actors, especially Kirk Caouette. His music is captivating. I bought the CD and listen to it a lot. Great story and doesn't have that 'hollywood' feel at all.
March 23, 2013
A very heartfelt and honest movie.