Hits Reviews

• Sep 04, 2016

Highly underrated. Great cast, original story. Genuinely funny. While I was watching it I was reminded of Bobcat Goldthwait's "God Bless America". However I think Hits executed a lot of the same ideas in a different and enjoyable fashion.

• Jun 20, 2016

Underrated. While criticisms about the unevenness of the story and its reliance on character behavior are justified, Hits makes a strong statement about the overabundance of celebrity in modern culture. David Cross creates a microcosm of YouTube (and other social media) culture, showing how it can turn undeserving people into overnight celebrities for nothing other than general stupidity. On top of it, he critiques the types of people who perpetuate this garbage culture by latching onto vapid egomaniacs in order to perpetuate their own ends. What's most unfortunate about Hits was that it was released two years too soon, as the idea of clueless people co-opting situations and individuals they don't fully understand in order to facilitate a "movement" is all too relevant in this presidential election year.

• Apr 28, 2016

humerous commentary on our social media society. And a fitting tribute to the small town of Liberty, NY

• Feb 17, 2016

Absolute trash. I found it just as annoying as people who actually care about likes and becoming popular. This is a prime example of shit satire. Sorry David Cross, this was a fail.

• Dec 14, 2015

The film mostly takes place in the ironically named small town of Liberty, New York. A local man, at odds with the town council, unknowingly has a video of him being ejected from a council meeting go viral. When a NYC hipster collective gets wind of his troubles, they travel to the town to help him. While many people may only see this as a drama, this was the absolute most laugh-out-loud, clever film I've seen in a long while. The set dressing and costumes were top-notch. The critique on modern American celebrity culture, with its reality stars and viral YouTube videos is biting. David Cross directs while featuring Matt Walsh, Michael Cera, David Koechner, Amy Sedaris, Erinn Hayes, Russ Tamblyn, & Julia Stiles! BEST MOVIE OF THE YEAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Oct 28, 2015

Has a relaxed funny vibe that works in its benefit up until the big twist which feels out of place and unnecessary. B-

• Oct 22, 2015

Dull and not funny. Expected better from David Cross.

Dull and not funny. Expected better from David Cross.

• Aug 21, 2015

Perhaps I'm the only person who thought this was brilliant satire. It's not meant to be taken entirely seriously, as it is an exaggeration of reality, but it is nevertheless a good comment on it. It does not just 'make fun' of small-town folk, but big-city folk as well. I have heard it described as misanthropic, and maybe it is, but it is all in good fun. More than a comment on modern society and "technology," it is perhaps a comment on the perpetual differences between the "country" and "city" philosophy in America, and the way in which city people will sometimes revere or venerate those who seem disadvantaged until it is obvious that their beliefs do not align whatsoever. A very good parody of American culture. It reminds me a bit of Todd Solondz, only more hopeful.

• Jul 30, 2015

Unlikeable and derivative of any type of structure (and not in a good way), "Hits" feels like a script penned by David Cross after a day of hearing crappy music on the radio and hearing young, ungrateful teens on their iphones. "Hits" is a mess of crass characters whose stories crumble rather than intertwine.

• Jul 20, 2015

Meh, had a few funny moments but ended up a little too dry to be really funny.

Meh, had a few funny moments but ended up a little too dry to be really funny.