Hjem til jul (Home for Christmas) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Hjem til jul (Home for Christmas) Reviews

½ August 9, 2014
An extremely enjoyable mix of emotional, interesting and often uncommon stories, that happen every day around us. A great one to see, especially during x-mas season.
½ December 21, 2013
I dunno. It was a bleak but warm-hearted movie full of pathos. It was also very dark, like, hard to see, and I had a hard time figuring out the details and the connections, (perhaps in some part because of the dimness.)
½ July 19, 2012
Dull. Had the potential to be edgy or heart-warming, or even both, but ultimately was neither. Drifts throughout and goes nowhere in the end.
January 10, 2012
I've seen a few Hamer flicks, and they have all been very good. "Hjem til Jul" was a long awaited film for me, and I was unsure if it would live up to my positive predictions. I watched it a week into the year of 2012. You might say I've had it with christmas by then, but I gave it a shot since I never expected a very "christmasy" story. I didn't want to wait another year either.

Anyhow, It starts off all right, placing the viewer in the "unknowing seat" - things are open and you want to get some pieces together. There are some lovely filming here and there certainly is some christmas atmopshere in it, I'm glad it's not to much of it, though. The great thing with the film is the way we get served several stories here, and you watch them seperatly without even noticing. It's very well crafted! It felt a bit flat, but being only one hour, 25 minutes long there was no problem keeping the focus up. The last ten, fifteen minutes or so was remarkable and truly a lovely watch. Not a masterpice, but a very enjoyable, and realistic christmas movie. Maybe the most realistic one I have seen.
December 18, 2011
En julefilm med skikkelig mening! :)
December 3, 2011
Bent Hamer rarely disappoints, and this is no exception.
November 18, 2011
Scandinavian noir, distant & cold, dry & plain however.
November 18, 2011
Scandinavian noir, distant & cold, dry & plain however.
½ April 3, 2011
Touching mosaic of families on Christmas eve mixes the comic and the painful, the tragic and the sublime. Families of all statuses and walks of life, some falling apart and some coming together, mix under the Northern Lights in a lovely, moving way.
½ January 14, 2011
A reel feel good picture. The picture is made in Ã-stersund ( my homecity ). Its wonderful and good
½ December 29, 2010
Se il Natale è solo una scusa per compiere azioni straordinarie, allora va bene così. Bent Hamer racconta di queste azioni. E il Natale ancora una volta è solo una (buona) scusa.
December 19, 2010
musique chouette, principe intà (C)ressant des histoires entrecroisà (C)es (pas assez). Plein de moments sympas. Fin vraiment intà (C)ressante. dans la lignà (C)e de O'Horten.
December 11, 2010
Definitely not as quirky and original as "Kitchen Stories" or "Factotum" by the same director. This slightly amusing and at times thoughtful film brings a rather melancholic tone to the Christmas holidays. It has been done numerous times already - showing various unconnected people dealing with loneliness and missed opportunities traveling somewhere or searching for something, as if suspended between life stages. It would have been interesting to read the book this film is based on.
October 21, 2010
Scandinavian short cuts, surrounding life in one Norwegian town one Christmas Eve. Wryly humorous, edgy and even a little bit sentimental, this is a beautifully crafted adaptation of a set of short stories that although sad, and occasionally farcical, has a very big heart.
½ October 20, 2010
Knallbra norsk julefim! Gode skuespillerprestasjoner og meget god regi. Får lyst å se flere av Bent Hamers filmer.