The Hobbit - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Hobbit Reviews

½ December 7, 2016
Not a good adaptation.
November 6, 2016
This anime version of The Hobbit demonstrates J.R.R. Tolkien's children's book can be adapted for screen with a modest run time, rather than stretched into three tedious films. John Huston's narration and voice acting as Gandalf can almost trick you into thinking you're watching a good film. The movie has a late '70s charm and catchy tunes, but it is also overly campy at times--I don't remember Bilbo making so many wisecracks in the book--and there are some mistakes in the details that make me think the writers didn't give an F. (The changes in Peter Jackson's films were calculated and still stemmed from a love of the mythology.) The Japanese animation uses some shortcuts, and no one would mistake this for an early Disney film. (Fun fact: The Japanese studio that animated The Hobbit, Topcraft, would later morph into Studio Ghibli under visionary animator/director Hayao Miyazaki, who deserves his favorable comparison to Walt Disney.)
½ August 16, 2016
90% accurate to the original story, even if a few parts from the book were scrapped for time. This is head and shoulders above what Peter Jackson tried to recreate in the early 2010's! I admire him for trying, but the new hobbit films don't have the amount of character and tone which this one does.
½ March 21, 2016
While I was a fan of this movie when I was a kid, it really hasn't aged well. It follows the story fairly well, but with the 77 minutes given, it feels so rushed. The animation is choppy, the voices are muddled, and the story is so compacted that you're better off just reading the book. Or the Peter Jackson movies, which don't worry folks, I'll be getting to those soon enough.
½ January 17, 2016
This is now a quaint thing to view, in light of the big budget adaptation of Peter Jackson. But it still has charm and a spirit of fun that make it worthwhile. Before the dawn of CGI, this was the way to experience The Hobbit.
December 23, 2015
62%
More focused on the simplicity of its source material rather than letting the mythology and themes sink in, The Hobbit is nevertheless a sincere attempt at bringing Tolkien's classic novel to the screen.
October 2, 2015
Great classic movie but the studio trys to cram all the books in one movie. Awesome animation for the 70s. It's Like Peter Jackson's version of the hobbit but only one movie but same scenes. Awesome journey and Love the music in the background. The book is pg_13 but this movie does a good job to make it pg. Thorin in tHis movie looks really old, I thought he would look younger like Peter Jackson's version. And it's funny that the Gandalf in this movie sounds exactly like the Gandalf in Peter Jackson's version off this movie. And gollum looks like a huge frog but walks like a lizard that talks.
August 25, 2015
(Upcoming Review) Rating: 8.1/10
July 22, 2015
Such a great film. I love the animation.
½ June 21, 2015
A horrible way to discover The Hobbit, but for much of my life this is all we had.
June 17, 2015
I think I formed a strong connection to the songs, far stronger than I care to admit.
May 16, 2015
a Journey that builds Character, Strength, Courage, and Unity Towards a Single Goal
April 30, 2015
Perhaps my favorite picture of all time. A companion to me through growing pains and emotional trauma. Should be better appreciated for its unique Rankin/Bass animation and beautiful soundtrack by Glen Yarbrough.
½ April 5, 2015
Took away too many details from the book but still...
½ March 1, 2015
I have seen many hobbit movies before this one. They have some flaws and slow parts but I love them all the same.When I first saw another hobbit movie was created I was ecstatic. But now when I saw it I almost puked. No one looks the same sorry but the people who thought this was good were wrong. It's only the animation but the plot line is okay
½ February 28, 2015
Fun, brief, and faithful. Not as good as Bakshi's attempt at Tolkien, but not bad.
½ February 27, 2015
I am a BIG fan of The Lord of the rings and I also like the book. But this is just torture.....
Nothing, and no one looks anything like probably more than half of the people who read the book thought it would look like..., smaug's head looks like a dogs head, bilbo looks like a freak, and the orcs, goblins, and dwarves just look plain old stupid........ I REALLY regret saying this but I hated watching it even once......sorry
½ December 29, 2014