Holes Reviews

• Mar 30, 2021

This movie, whilst not phenomenal, is still an underrated masterpiece. It's not the most flawless movie of all time, but it is one worth seeing! The main leads are two young juvenile prisoners who are sent out into the desert to dig large holes all day, one, played by Shia LaBeouf, has a family cursed with bad luck due to an event in the past involving the lad's great great grandfather. And the other, played by Khleo Thomas, is a young homeless pre teen who wants to find his mother, who went missing before he came to the prison camp. Along with the great performances of Sigourney Weaver, Tim Blake Nelson and Jon Voight as the cruel prison guard and her minions. The other stars in this film are all the other inmates we get to know, Brendan Jefferson plays the tent's intimidating but humble leader, Max Kasch plays the oldest and most aggressive inmate with blonde poofy hair, and Byron Cotton has the role of the smelliest but overall goofiest inmate. The history of the prison camp is also made clear in this film by the use of constant flashbacks, telling the tragic tale of Kate Barlow and Sam The Onion Man, which can't be left out whilst discussing this movie. It also helps describe the motives of Weaver's character, and what the hole digging process is for. Overall, this movie is amazing, with the exception of the out of place and sometimes unnecessary flashback scenes, it's definitely worth it! Go watch it if you can!

• Mar 16, 2021

Holes was a, somewhat film. The story was confusing, they kept going back and fourth with a backstory and now. The characters were ok, however they were not as great. The music was weird, I never heard anything like that. I am going to give Holes a: C-

• Feb 26, 2021

I love watching Holes as a kid and for some reason I wanted to watch it again at 29. It's a great family film that'll provide good laughs, entertainment, and thoughtful lessons. I recommend it to anyone. It's one of my favorite childhood movies.

• Feb 17, 2021

I may be incredibly biased since I read the original book when I was in the third grade, but this was the first movie I got to watch that was based on a book. I was incredibly hyped for it when I saw it existed, and I was not let down. It's great to see a successful movie adaptation, especially when it is based on an already written story. In a way, they have to re-tell it in a way that is exceptional since its primary audience has great expectations based on the experience they had reading the book itself, which contains many literary devices and language that leave a lot to the reader's imagination. The movie portrays that, and much more. Personally, I thought each actor was suited for the job and really fit their character. From Dr. Pendanski and his obnoxious behaviour to Kissin' Kate Barlow, an innocent teacher and a threat not to be reconciled with. The soundtrack is pretty catchy too, and I found myself stuck humming it every once in a while as a kid. Overall, this movie meets my expectations and does a great job re-telling a great story that I read as a child.

• Feb 14, 2021

If you don't like holes then fuck you

If you don't like holes then fuck you

• Jan 05, 2021

If a person tells me they are bored and they are someone who hasn't seen this yet, they have the right to remain silent until they have watched Holes. It should be obligatory for every person to watch this masterpiece.

• Nov 29, 2020

This is one strange movie. An impenetrable plot that flashes backwards, forwards and sideways - all buried treasure, chain gangs, family trees, who knows what - and a very good cast giving it their all (and in Jon Voight's case a whole lot more) in the service of a plot that is both too much and not enough. Shia La Boeuf is very good as the central character trying to piece things together, but it's not enough.

• Nov 24, 2020

In many ways, Holes feels like it is a fairy tale film. There are somewhat magical elements, there are unlikely twists and turns, the heroes and villains are exaggerated in their personalities, and even the world itself seems to operate on its own set of rules that are slightly different from our own. I greatly appreciated that fairy tale aspect because it drew me in early, and also allowed me to shut down my logical brain and accept that some things might operate a bit different in this film, so I could suspend my disbelief to a greater degree. I can’t say that I was surprised at all by the reveals that come later in the film because they telegraph everything that’s coming in a fairly blatant way, but this wasn’t the type of movie that relied on surprises to keep you entertained. Likewise, I found it easy to forgive some of the shoddy CGI work since they tried to keep it to a minimum and it never hurt the story. I’m always a sucker for a plot about an underdog who has to rise up against an unjust system, and Holes delivers that plotline well. It’s easy to root for Stanley because he is so greatly mistreated for no good reason. I also liked that they had a mix of different villains, instead of making them all sadistic and evil. Jon Voight gets to be ridiculously over the top, which allows Tim Blake Nelson and Sigourney Weaver to be a bit more subtle with their diabolical behavior. Shia LeBeouf is solid as Stanley, the protagonist, and it’s easy to root for Khleo Thomas as well. Some of my favorite characters in the film were actually Stanley’s family, and I wish they got a bit more screentime. Holes is definitely an entertaining and fun adventure. While it’s not all that original or surprising, it provides all the entertainment needed to make for a good time that the whole family can enjoy.

• Jun 30, 2020

It faithfully adapts the book, but if you didn't enjoy that this has nothing new to offer.

• Jun 27, 2020

Awesome! The Disney live-action adaptation of the novel Holes is amazing!

Awesome! The Disney live-action adaptation of the novel Holes is amazing!