The Hollow - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Hollow Reviews

February 20, 2016
Stupid, stupid, stupid.
½ September 23, 2015
So I watch lots of direct to video garbage, so I know what I'm talking about when I say this is actually better than most of the cheaply made horror crap. The quality is just that much higher. Specifically the sound editing, which is pretty good and better than most direct to video movies you've never heard of.

Now, that disclaimer out of the way, I know this film isn't perfect, but let's look at the positives: The cast has some highlights with Kaley Cucuo, Judge Reinhold, Eileen Brennan, and Stacy Keach. Good to see familiar faces in a movie that normally is padded out with no namers.

The main thing I liked about this film is that it felt like a PG-13 extended episode of "Are You Afraid of the Dark?". The tale is your typical Halloween fair: It's Halloween and the descendant of Ichabod Crane is haunted by his family's nemesis for a final showdown. But to spice things up we get some light cussing (no f-bombs, but some s-words and b-words) and lots of sex jokes/references. There's no overt sex (There's a brief nip slip, but that's all you ghouls are going to get), in fact, I'm surprised this got an R-rating, it's clearly a PG-13 at the most... There's a body count and the film shows some blood, not on par with other horror films, but enough to keep it out of the TV-rating range.

I was entertained. A fun, brief (hour twenty run time) Halloween movie tale. As we are amping up to Halloween, this is a perfect warm up movie toward the beginning of the countdown.

Uh, the bad? It is straightforward. There's not a lot to overly complicate it, but also nothing much to make it stand out. There's a few plot holes if you think about the film... which we are all best not to do. Nothing too bad that would make me give it a lesser rating however. A solid better than average!
½ August 18, 2015
another retelling of this often told tale 'the legend of sleepy hollow'
½ August 11, 2015
Though the characters are painfully cliched, and they're not exactly elevated by impressive performances from the cast, The Hollow packs enough of an atmospheric punch on its haunted hayride to deliver a modernized -- not to mention bloody-fun -- update of the classic Halloween-themed short story on which it is based while bringing a legendary supervillain into the 21st century.
½ May 15, 2015
5/15/2015: Other than the beautiful Cuoco, this movie was pretty horrible.
½ October 18, 2014
Brand new take on the old legend. The movie that pulls October together for me
October 23, 2013
The script is really awful, as well as the acting (i.e. Nick Carter's acting).
½ December 12, 2012
Watched this when it came out on ABC Family back in 2004.

I remember it being a lot better..........
November 26, 2012
this film was crap, I expected better, I didn't like this movie I thought it was crap and I will not watch it again, I thought this movie would be better than this, it starred Kevin Zeggers and Judge Reinhold
October 6, 2012
This is not a movie that would do well at theaters or impress late teens, but it is a good TV family entertainment for Halloween....
September 15, 2012
The Hollow (2004) this movie was a very good updated version of Sleepy Hollow in some ways, the story line is excellent, the acting was very decent and the headless horseman looked really cool . The way it was filmed was fairly different from many movies I have seen, this actually caught my eye because of the angles and shots, not to mention the darker tone of the film, very good solid 10/10.
June 18, 2012
LOVE LOVE LOVE IT!!! I own this movie
½ June 15, 2012
Honestly the acting was overdone, making obviously seeming fake and too unreal for a plot that's based on a tall tale.i first gained interest because Backstreet Boy Nick Carter is in it, and thought maybe his acting could persuade me to watch the entire thing, and I do love actress Kaley Cuoco, but neither of them seemed to be playing the right character for their acting skills and abilities. I was unable to get through more than half (if even that much) of the movie. I felt badly for having my dad drive over an hour to rent a movie for me I didn't even watch all of the way through. It's a low-grade "slasher horror" "scary" movie.
May 27, 2012
Only watched it because of Kevin zegers
May 10, 2012
I actually like this verson of Sleepy Hollow better.
May 1, 2011
Painfully bad horror yarn with a cornball cast of characters including Judge Reinhold, Stacy Keach (using a really bad irish accent), Eileen Brennan who looked like she was yanked from a nursing home for the shoot and Backstreet Boy Nick Carter as the town bad boy.
½ March 19, 2011
I just don't buy Judge-freakin-Reinhold as a tough as nails strict father and football coach and neither will you. This rip-off of Sleepy Hollow tries and fails to cash in on the rise of the slasher movies from about 10 years ago. There's only one problem. It's so horribly made. Actually, this movie was re-edited to be shown on the ABC Family network as they took out the foul language, graphic violence and nudity. This movie was so bad, it couldn't even go direct to video. Basically, the plot is that the new kid in town Kevin Zegers wants to fence and act instead of playing football for his dad, played by Reinhold, but when people starting turning up dead, creepy groundskeeper Stacy Keach thinks it might be the spirit of the Headless Horseman because Zegers and Reinhold are descendents of Ichabod Crane. Yeah, it's that bad. So bad that the actors seem to be reading their lines off of cue cards behind the camera. When the Horseman appears, you might actually wet your pants laughing by how stupid he looks. This movie stars actors, such as Reinhold, Keach, and in a small role, Joseph Mazello from Jurassic Park, who were in huge blockbusters of movies. They all should fire their agents for not negotiating better royalties, so they have to make shitty movies like this to pay the bills.
½ November 5, 2010
done well n really liked it