Hollywood Ending - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Hollywood Ending Reviews

½ March 11, 2018
Enjoyable if lightweight Woody Allen comedy about a pretentious film director, Allen, who's offered a chance to direct a major film while his career is on the skids by his producer/ex-wife, the excellent Téa Leoni. Things get complicated when Allen's new bimbo girlfriend, a very funny Debra Messing, wants a part in the film, and also by Allen's being jealous of Leoni's new boyfriend, studio boss Treat Williams. And top that off by Allen getting a case of hysterical blindness a the start of filming which he needs to hide from everyone in order to keep his job. The plot isn't exactly comic gold, but the witty banter between character is classic Woody Allen and more than enough to make this film well worth watching for fans of Allen's nervous little fellow character. And watch for George Hamilton, Mark Rydell, Tiffani Thiessen, and former AMC host Bob Dorian if funny supporting roles.
October 1, 2017
A great premise that fell short in delivery.
June 12, 2017
The only thing I would've changed is the abrupt resolution. Other than that, the quirky humor, the wacky plot, plus the unexpected emotional undertone all add up to classic Allan.
January 5, 2017
I loved Annie Hall. This, at times, felt like a cheap knock-off. With less humor, chemistry, and insight. Add in a weaker plot, and it was so lame I didn't make it through to the end. I would rather remember Woody in Bananas and AH than watch him serve this warmed up hash. All the mediocre jokes in this one did was make me long for the better ones he once did. And perhaps he has lost a step in his delivery. Tough to watch a Hall-of-Famer on the downhill side.
½ December 31, 2016
If you enjoy Woody Allen comedies, you'll enjoy this. Not his best work, but it was fun.
September 24, 2016
This comedy is based on the premise that the director can go temporarily blind during filming. Not Allen's most brilliant conception.
August 24, 2016
the worst film of Woody Allen's career
August 16, 2016
A Sleeper! Between Woody Allen's endless babbling and ridiculous plot, I couldn't keep my eyes open. I could not wait for "Hollywood Ending" too End.
April 25, 2016
Unfairly maligned by stuffy nosed critics, this was the 'laugh out loud' funniest Woody Allen film for many years. Some performances may seem a tiny bit stilted but amongst the hilarity is still some beautiful pathos and some stunning cinematography.
½ April 14, 2016
Very funny and a new plot device for Woody, he made his character blind.
September 18, 2015
This is easily one of Woody Allen's worst films. It feels like the film made in the movie, half assed. The set up is pretty solid. Val Waxman is a hasbeen director and his ex-wife wants to hire him for a gangster movie. The new husband (Treat Williams) is apprehensive, but the name will bring in money. What follows is a painfully unfunny blind man routine for Allen, who is not convincing at all. There is a scene where he's not sure where Treat Williams is, but the voice is speaking to him and he should be able to follow it. Throw in a rushed, lazy, and contrived ending, and you get this movie. The only thing I liked was Treat Williams, and the son character. Everything else was just plain shabby.
September 17, 2015
I'm surprised this isn't better know, it's an amazing satire on Hollywood, a brilliant postmodern film about making a film, and one of Woody Allen's wittiest and most vicious satires. So many jokes hit their mark it's incredible.
August 14, 2015
"Hollywood Ending" suffers more than it satisfies.
July 13, 2015
One of the funniest films of Woody Allen, and one of his most sarcastic and exciting adventures, as well as comically clumsy. A smart and special performance of Allen.
May 18, 2015
While this film is no Woody Allen masterpiece, it's no failure either. The story is outrageous and the plot overall is a bit undeveloped but Allen's neurotic characteristics and witty humor seems to work really well in this film.
½ September 25, 2014
Classical Woody Allen movie, script and performance. Funny at times, but not one of the best ones.
½ May 13, 2014
I never understood the hate for this film. It's far from perfect, but Allen is pretty humorous despite the uncomfortable age difference between him and the leading ladies, the writing is pretty funny, and Debra Messing is absolutely adorable. The absolute best scene is when Allen and his ex wife (played by Thea Leoni) argue at the Bemmelmen's Bar. This film without a doubt needed work, but for what it is and for when it came out (as being one of the few good comedy Allen films to come for around eight years), I enjoy it. I guess I have a soft spot for this film.
May 11, 2014
Woody Allen is a rapist paedophile.
½ March 20, 2014
Woody Allen plays a film director who was once considered a genius, but years of being difficult have hurt his career and left him working on commercials and getting very little real work. His ex-wife fights for him to get a big break, and the studio gives it to him...and he goes blind. It is a goofy comedy, and unfortunately not that funny, with one of Allen's weaker casts.
½ December 15, 2013
not very sharp, but there's punch of enlightened lines :)