Hollywood Ending - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Hollywood Ending Reviews

September 24, 2016
This comedy is based on the premise that the director can go temporarily blind during filming. Not Allen's most brilliant conception.
August 24, 2016
the worst film of Woody Allen's career
August 16, 2016
A Sleeper! Between Woody Allen's endless babbling and ridiculous plot, I couldn't keep my eyes open. I could not wait for "Hollywood Ending" too End.
April 25, 2016
Unfairly maligned by stuffy nosed critics, this was the 'laugh out loud' funniest Woody Allen film for many years. Some performances may seem a tiny bit stilted but amongst the hilarity is still some beautiful pathos and some stunning cinematography.
½ April 14, 2016
Very funny and a new plot device for Woody, he made his character blind.
September 18, 2015
This is easily one of Woody Allen's worst films. It feels like the film made in the movie, half assed. The set up is pretty solid. Val Waxman is a hasbeen director and his ex-wife wants to hire him for a gangster movie. The new husband (Treat Williams) is apprehensive, but the name will bring in money. What follows is a painfully unfunny blind man routine for Allen, who is not convincing at all. There is a scene where he's not sure where Treat Williams is, but the voice is speaking to him and he should be able to follow it. Throw in a rushed, lazy, and contrived ending, and you get this movie. The only thing I liked was Treat Williams, and the son character. Everything else was just plain shabby.
September 17, 2015
I'm surprised this isn't better know, it's an amazing satire on Hollywood, a brilliant postmodern film about making a film, and one of Woody Allen's wittiest and most vicious satires. So many jokes hit their mark it's incredible.
August 14, 2015
"Hollywood Ending" suffers more than it satisfies.
July 13, 2015
One of the funniest films of Woody Allen, and one of his most sarcastic and exciting adventures, as well as comically clumsy. A smart and special performance of Allen.
May 18, 2015
While this film is no Woody Allen masterpiece, it's no failure either. The story is outrageous and the plot overall is a bit undeveloped but Allen's neurotic characteristics and witty humor seems to work really well in this film.
½ September 25, 2014
Classical Woody Allen movie, script and performance. Funny at times, but not one of the best ones.
½ May 13, 2014
I never understood the hate for this film. It's far from perfect, but Allen is pretty humorous despite the uncomfortable age difference between him and the leading ladies, the writing is pretty funny, and Debra Messing is absolutely adorable. The absolute best scene is when Allen and his ex wife (played by Thea Leoni) argue at the Bemmelmen's Bar. This film without a doubt needed work, but for what it is and for when it came out (as being one of the few good comedy Allen films to come for around eight years), I enjoy it. I guess I have a soft spot for this film.
May 11, 2014
Woody Allen is a rapist paedophile.
½ March 20, 2014
Woody Allen plays a film director who was once considered a genius, but years of being difficult have hurt his career and left him working on commercials and getting very little real work. His ex-wife fights for him to get a big break, and the studio gives it to him...and he goes blind. It is a goofy comedy, and unfortunately not that funny, with one of Allen's weaker casts.
½ December 15, 2013
not very sharp, but there's punch of enlightened lines :)
November 25, 2013
I loved this one-classic Woody. the premise was totally original and wacky. it was far-fetched, but he makes it work anyway. most importantly, it is just plain funny.
November 10, 2013
Hollywood Ending was a potluck for me because it was the first Woody Allen film I'd seen without knowing anything of it or how critics rated it, because the critical acclaim for Annie Hall and Bullets Over Broadway didn't match up to my expectations.

That was a good move, because I did enjoy Hollywood Ending without having too many problems with it, and finding out that it reviewed mixed reviews I saw it made me feel like I was more likely to understand his films if unsure of their ratings, and I did end up enjoying Hollywood Ending much like various other critics did. I found that it wasn't one of Woody Allen's finest efforts, but for a routine job he made a decent film and it was predominantly him that carried it even though the script is inconsistent in being good and bad. But his direction helped make up for that, and there were some decent laughs in there too.
Woody Allen's performance is where the main appeal comes from, because his signature socially awkward character is on display again in the form of Val Waxman, a film director. It's easy to connect with him and feel his stress as well as get enjoyment out of his comedic line delivery an physicality which really does convince us that he is blind, but without going overboard to remind us every five seconds. He knows his stuff well as an actor, and Hollywood Ending is a good showcase if his talent for doing so.
Tea Leoni gives one of her much more thoughtful performances and her line delivery actually succeeds at convincing us that she is a clever woman. She manages to create a good team with Woody Allen and they share a fine charisma.
Tiffany Thiessen uses her sex appeal as well as her line delivery in her short time on screen in Hollywood Ending, and she reminds us just how sexy a woman she is in her scene where she attempts to seduce Val Waxman. It's a really sensual moment.
Debra Messing was also good because of how she brought over the skills she acquired as an actress on Will and Grace and transitioned them to the cinematic screen well, with moments that her character is really convincing as a serious actress balanced with many that prove she's a comedically ditzy klutz.

But Hollywood Ending is uneasy in how it's plotted and constructed, due in part to the budget cuts.
While Woody Allen is the only man who could create a functioning comedy about a blind mind directing an entire film, he does stretch the thin premise a bit far without ever really taking the effort of finding new dynamics to explore or even delving into the ones he is already working with in a more clever manner than the thin and basic way he does. He throws in plenty of characters which he never does anything with and their scenes are largely irrelevant and unnecessary. I mean the characters are interesting, but Woody Allen fails to emphasise why and so the characters all just fade away from the viewer's short term memory like tears in the rain.
Lastly, the ending to the film was very abrupt and dynamics piled upon each other every which way but loose without taking a second to stop and explain why they were happening or allow the characters to really react to it. It's ending threw too much in there for a film with a lot of dynamics that were very repetitive and predictable.

So Hollywood Ending's problem is largely the fact that it lacks what is in the title, but the cast led by Woody Allen keeps things alive.
September 28, 2013
Hollywood ending is the latest joke from our beloved Woody Allen. Every year a new film, every year a new comedy/satire of life, the world, and this time the film industry! Woody takes a guilty pleasure portraying a director who's suddenly becoming blind while he's starting to shoot his new film. Great jokes, funny situations, the cast is having a blast & so do we. Good one
September 12, 2013
Woody Allen is a master at his craft, and 'Hollywood Ending' is another very funny film, poking fun at the Hollywood system, and the process of film-making itself.
August 12, 2013
Since the 1970s, Woody Allen has been pretty consistent with his filmmaking output, trying his best to release at least one film a year. Of course, there have been some that have been less-than-stellar while there are others that have been great, which is always bound to happen. 'Hollywood Ending' isn't bad entertainment, but it's not great Woody Allen, and I think that's why it gets a lot of flack from critics and fans alike. 'Hollywood Ending' doesn't quite have the director's unparalleled ear for situational comedy and witty dialogue, but it does have his trademark knack for creating brilliant one-liners and sharp satire, and there are a lot of hilarious observations made about the film industry. Ultimately, 'Hollywood Ending' doesn't take full of advantage of its concept and could have been much funnier, but it's still passable entertainment, and because it's Woody Allen, it's automatically better than most of the other stuff out there.