The Hollywood Sign - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Hollywood Sign Reviews

July 8, 2016
3 stars plus a star that about makes it right 4 this 1
½ June 1, 2015
Could this comedy have been better,hell yes but it still a pleasure to watch these fine actors work especially in Steiger's last film.
January 9, 2012
Exercice de style (Mise en abyme) . Sympa
½ January 15, 2010
I admit the main (and perhaps only) reason I wanted to see this movie is the fact it is based on a novel by Dutch author Leon de Winter. I had hoped he had produced a story interesting enough to make a good movie. Unfortunately, the story is interesting enough, but the film isnâ??t. I like the way De Winter used his obvious interest in movies and Hollywood to come up with an imaginative, kind of postmodern concept. The reason I am willing to go to 2.5 stars is the intricacy of the plot and the fact it becomes impossible in the end to make out which parts were real and which were part of an acted-out film script. Continuing on a positive note, I would like to pay my compliments to the aging actors (Berenger, Steiger and Reynolds) for still doing such a fabulous job and for lending themselves for this unusual production. I canâ??t quite put my finger on what it is that doesnâ??t make this movie work, but fact is it just doesnâ??t. I guess it has something to do with the direction and the ill-chosen, cheap background music. I felt some scenes just took way too long and only made the protagonistsâ?? clumsiness all the more annoying. I realize the many illogical elements in the plot are supposed to be part of the peculiar script, but still they manage to irritate the viewer. How could a bunch of clumsy old actors ever successfully impress and intimidate a bunch of criminals, and how could a female scriptwriter who was once friends with one of the actors play a convincing femme fatale accomplice (until, of course, one realizes all this was not real)? And why on earth did the corpse have to be taken home and kept in a freezer? The twist at the end of the movie makes you aware of the fact youâ??ve been watching something other than you thought, and that this was cleverly invented, but that doesnâ??t change the fact the movie as such is just not an entertaining view, but a rather lame and dull experience. An opportunity sorely missed, I would call it.
½ August 6, 2009
The plot is an interesting idea, too bad the filmmakers didn't make better use of a good idea. The cast is fine - good stars. But it is downright boring at times. When you are happy to see the credits, that is probably not a good sign for the film...
½ March 12, 2007
November 15, 2005
Three down-and-out former Hollywood leading men (Berenger, Reynolds, and Steiger) stumble into the middle of a Las Vegas casino robbery that's in the planning stages. They decide that if they can't make a comeback in movies, they'll retire on ill-gotten loot, and they force their way into the robbery scheme. Can three hams outwit hardened criminals and live to tell the tale?

"The Hollywood Sign" features top-notch talent all giving fine performances--with Reynolds in particular putting on a good show--but there are some severe problems with the script that makes this movie go south in the final act. I can't really say what those problems are without spoiling a shocking moment in the film. I'm also not certain if others will have the same reaction to the twist-ending to this film that I has; I rolled my eyes and had to struggle to not reach for the DVD remote, as it coincidentally was the second film I've watched this month that featured such a twist. Admittedly, "The Hollywood Sign" was superior in every conceivable way to that other film--which was so wretched I probably won't even bother posting about it--but I still think the ending was lame. (I can see how the writers might think it was clever, though. It solves a story problem that was brought up at the very beginning of the film and that was echoed a couple times during it.)

This film is worth seeing if you enjoy Reynolds or Steiger as actors, or if you love movies featuring Hollywood insider plot elements. Otherwise, this is a film to pass on.

The Hollywood Sign