Hollywood to Dollywood - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Hollywood to Dollywood Reviews

½ January 27, 2015
Less fun than the premise would suggest, "Hollywood To Dollywood" is a narcissistic road trip lacking focus...and soon runs out of gas. Filmed on low quality film (video tape) and lacking professional lighting, the project is difficult to enjoy. Although the subjects of the documentary are likable, at times the film seemed to be part southern gay bar travel guide and part therapy session. I don't know how many times the Lane Brothers declared that their mother must accept them as they are if she wants to be a part of their life, but the frequent proclamation was made tedious by the brothers' apparent inability to grow past their acceptance issues throughout the course of the film. In the first quarter of the film, award-winning screenwriter Dustin Lance Black comments that the script the brothers want to deliver to Dolly Parton is overlong and lacks focus. That critique applies equally to their contemporaneous documentary. Nevertheless, there were several instances in the film that provided insight into the culture of the Bible Belt and LGBT people's place in that culture, and that makes the film somewhat worth seeing.
½ November 30, 2013
A crazy but fun at times story about two brothers trying to get their manuscript to Dolly Parton. It also works in their life story. Interesting for sure.
January 18, 2013
Delightful film...your pulling for the boys all the way to Dollywood. And when they finally get to hand Dolly the script...she was most gracious and more than kind to the twins. Large audience reaction all through the film...I saw it tonight at the Indianapolis GLBT Film Festival.
½ June 15, 2012
A totally relatable story (to me) about twins living in Hollywood who love Dolly Parton and take a road trip to Dollywood to meet her and give her a copy of their script they wrote for her. I made my pilgrimage to Dollywood years ago, but I wasn't lucky enough to meet Dolly when I was there. I loved this movie because it is just full of fans along the way who explain why they love Dolly so much! Also, it's great to hear Dolly music throughout the whole film! And of course Dolly herself is in the movie, so of course I loved it! Also a lot of fun cameos pop up (including the always fun Leslie Jordan and Beth Grant).