Holy Man - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Holy Man Reviews

May 14, 2016
Holy Man steps into the lives of other people.
May 1, 2016
I am bewildered by the gratuitous, one-sentence disparaging remarks about this movie. They don't offer any substance about WHY they didn't like it.

"Holy Man" is one of my all-time favorites! It is a fun, witty, romantic comedy with lively action and ironic twists of spiritualism thrown in. Essentially no vulgarity, heart-warming themes, snappy dialog with a great performance by Jeff Goldblum playing the ultimate unctuous manager.

I have watched it many times and shared it with many friends and I think it is one of Eddie Murphy's best roles. If you liked "Coming to America" and "Trading Places" this movie is very much in that same category.

One of the few movies I bought a copy of, just to watch once in a while. It is edifying, uplifting and happy.
½ September 30, 2015
Very funny and great message
½ March 6, 2015
While not as energetic as most of his films, Holy Man brings about a more mellow but still funny performance by Eddie Murphy as well as solid talent from Jeff Goldblum and Kelly Preston.
½ January 26, 2015
I watched a little bit of this on TV. It had it's moments but I didn't make it until the end.
August 15, 2014
(First viewing - Teen years)
½ July 14, 2014
Damn the critics... I thought it was funny... especially with chemistry with Goldblum!
March 30, 2014
It's sad how cynical some of the reviewers how critiqued this film. I view it as a man (Eddie Murphy) awakening the consciousness of a lost TV shopping network mogul (Jeff Goldblum) . If you understand this relationship, the rest of the film, falls into place.
March 30, 2014
Couldn't even bring myself to watch 5 consecutive minutes while this was on TV. Ugh/yawn.
½ January 14, 2014
It is a feel-good movie, but it is only moderately funny. Eddie Murphy's character is quite likable, but the story does not do enough with him. At first, the home shopping network setting is a funny place for Murphy's philosophy and spiritual guidance, but it becomes confining. The best part of the movie is the funny product pitches on the shopping network, but they are just a small tangent and do not keep things moving. Jeff Goldblum is an adequate setup man for Eddie Murphy, but he is capable of more than this. The romance side of the sorry between Goldblum and Kelly Preston is typical and uninspired. Eddie Murphy is a very funny actor, but he cannot transcend ho-hum writing. This movie tries to get away with nothing more Eddie Murphy playing than a restrained character with an upbeat likable demeanor. For all of its shortcomings, it still amounts to some lightweight fun, but it is will not make any lasting impressions.
January 11, 2014
1/8/2013: A decent movie with a very good cast. Some funny scenes and one liners. The movie also had a pretty good message.
December 27, 2013
Don't care. I still like it.
½ December 13, 2013
Not funny, and really not good.
October 27, 2013
i dont understand all the negative comments about this film. it is a heart warming movie that should leave most people with a soul feeling good. something wrong with people if they cant feel good about G and how he affects the people he is around.
end of the day it is just a movie, but personally think it is a great feel good film. the world needs a few more Gs in it.
½ August 15, 2013
Le veritable probleme avec Mister G, c'est qu'il tente d'etre incisif envers les societes de tele-achat americaines et familial en meme temps, ce qui donne un film le cul entre deux chaises et franchement tres mal rythme. C'est dommage car Eddie Murphy y est excellent, aux antipodes de ses roles habituels, et Jeff Goldblum attachant en commercial roublard.
July 20, 2013
Hahahaha I'm the 2nd person to like this movie in all the world on the website
½ May 21, 2013
A slow, clunky opening and a rather lackluster attempt at exploring the overly commercial-material world we live in, this late 90s Eddie Murphy offering still packs a couple of laughs, especially when G is wrecking other commercials at the network, a competent musical score by Alan Silverstri that turns from bombastic to ethereal, and even some fairly decent drama & emotional scenes, such as G curing a man of his flying fear through hypnosis and helping him find inner peace.
½ January 22, 2013
this is a pretty OK movie.
i can't believe i'm saying this.
its nearly 10 years old.