Holy Rollers - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Holy Rollers Reviews

March 18, 2012
Nothing against Jews it's just not exciting
March 16, 2012
It looked really Interesting and started out good. Sadly it turned into unwanted scenes. Could have been great, starts off great though, but ends up dull and boring.
½ March 6, 2012
This film lacks on several levels. The story (though true, apparently) is not well developed. The main character doesn't have any depth and, consequently, you cannot follow his motivation. But, worst of all, this is some kind of imitation Dogma caper. Wonky cameras, wacky focus and weird angles do not make this enjoyable viewing. Could have lived with the story, but the antiquated technology wrecked it for me.
½ March 1, 2012
I'm a sucker for films of this genre anyway, but "Holy Rollers" is in the tier of maybe even "Blow". Eisenberg is his brilliant self and Bartha shows he can do more than just party hard in Vegas or Thailand.
February 17, 2012
(2 out of 4) Holy Rolers is half a good movie. Jesse Eisenberg puts forth a genuine effort while adding his trademark anxiety and the film is nicely directed by Kevin Asch. But it never delivers the dramatic climax we were all waiting for.
February 12, 2012
Sometimes very cliche, but with a terrific performance by Jesse Eisenberg and a nice screenplay, Holy Rollers is a good film to watch.
½ February 8, 2012
An interesting movie with a cast that makes it work. I think Eisenberg was good in this showing a little range subtley. I wouldnt watch it again but not mad I came across it.
½ January 22, 2012
This movie gave us a look into the life of a young Orthodox Jewish teen who is struggling to figure out how to live in the world of his family and religious beliefs as well as the world of crime and money. It was the first movie I saw with Jesse Eisenberg and it made me respect him as an actor. He was great!
½ January 20, 2012
Jesse Eisenberg is awesome in this, however the movie ends up being sketchily thrown together. And the movie doesn't seem to get around to showing what you want to see in a clever way.
January 18, 2012
I googled "drug movie" and found this under "ecstasy". Good find, kept me entertained.
½ January 18, 2012
it is watchable for eisenberg's subtle acting. i would have like to have seen more detail on the family life and dissatisfaction with it that lead his character to explore the drug dealing world.
January 15, 2012
Unusual premise worth seeing
Sam E.
January 13, 2012
Director Kevin Asch failed to evoke any real seriousness or emotion in Holy Rollers. Plus, the movie shifts between Samuel's (Eisenberg) meeting with his potential wife and his first drug exchange so quickly that the viewer may be confused as to what transpired during that short time period. Yet, Jesse Eisenberg' character is well-portrayed and Justin Bartha plays the Orthodox Jews-gone-bad Yosef perfectly.
½ January 3, 2012
Sooooo I can understand Yiddish (it's pretty much just German). Good to know.
½ December 23, 2011
This isn't a good film at all. A rather mundane account of a couple of Hasidic Jews who get involved in smuggling ecstasy pills into the USA. A couple of funny lines, but I failed to see what the point of the film actually was.
December 18, 2011
Excellent film...Jesse Eisenberg is fantastic.
½ December 9, 2011
Having just seen the Pusher trilogy, this seems pretty tame in comparison. The stakes just aren't really high enough and despite my affection for Jesse Eisenberg, I didn't really care enough about the plight his character gets himself into here. Fairly flat direction doesn't help.
½ December 9, 2011
Interesting since it's based on a true story of drug trafficking Hasidic Jews, this film has some great scenes and acting, but ultimately suffers from bad pacing and a somewhat dubious ending.
December 8, 2011
Quite a good little movie about a little known backwater of the drug trade. Fine performances all around as Jesse Eisenberg's character loses his way in perfectly understandable steps.
December 6, 2011
Eisenberg, more often an interesting absence in the center of well-cast movies than a leading man, doesn't work his arguable magic here. The Hasidic Jew bits have some undeniable potential, but once the drug world downfall cliches kick-in, there's no saving the good stuff.