Home of the Giants - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Home of the Giants Reviews

November 24, 2013
Home of The Giants uses a High School Basketball team and it's star to tell an amazing story, with one hell of a twist. Matt Morrison (Ryan Merriman) is the king of his High School and the beloved star of his High School Basketball team, but not all is as perfect as it seems. Matt's brother has just been released from prison and needs to pay back some dangerous men. Eric enlists the help of his brother to commit a simple robbery, which doesn't go the way they planned. While Basketball is always a part of the story, and has made Matt a local celebrity, this isn't a movie about Basketball, it's about a boy torn between his dreams and his dysfunctional family. Ryan Merriman stars and he just continues to amaze me with his athletic ability. Merriman started as the loveable pudgy kid in the early 90's TV show, the Mommies. Today, the once chubby child star does almost exclusively sports drama and is really impressive. Whether he's a Basketball player here, a Baseball player in 42, or a Football star in the 5th Quarter, Merriman is skillful and more than believable. Imagine getting to live out your sports fantasies, while acting on the big screen, Merriman clearly loves what he does and it shows. In this film he's assisted by the 25 year old screen veteran, Haley Joel Osment, whose still funny looking. Funny looking, but one terrific actor, Osment gives the film a separate dynamic and whole other back story, that just add to the brilliance of this film. Osment was nominated for an Oscar at age 12, and is still going strong, adding another terrific performance to his resume. Home of The Giants really has something for everyone which includes some great sports drama and an intense background story. This film was released independently and fell below the radar, but it is as well written and exciting as anything you'll see on the big screen, I can't recommend it enough.
½ October 15, 2013
B movie for teenage boys
½ April 7, 2013
This was not at all the movie I was expecting. This story was much better than anticipated, but it was pretty unbelievable. Osment and Merrimac were good together and I really liked the ending.
November 21, 2011
I had a difficult time getting past how odd looking Haley Joel Osment looks all grown up. Getting past that, however, I found this movie to be rather good. A high school sports movie, with a very decent twist. Nicely done.
½ October 14, 2011
This is no ordinary Basketball movie: it's probably the worst. And Haley Joel Osment, your haircut, WTF?
Seriously, stay away from this one. You wanna see a Basketball movie? Try Coach Carter.
½ March 11, 2011
Funny how Haley's character was a even a greater brother than Matt's, but yet during the whole movie stupid Matt fucked around believing in his blood brother rather his friend.
September 5, 2010
Wasn't bad or good, I found the basketball storyline more interesting than the story of right and wrong between the boys.
July 14, 2010
Finally a grown up Haley Joel movie
May 26, 2010
A pretty decent thriller, and Haley Joel Osment isn't as annoying as I figured he would be. Also - Ryan Merriman is CUTE. So I hope that influences your decision :P
½ April 23, 2010
Certainly a wonderfully woven plot, that had more dynamics than anyone would have guessed.
March 16, 2010
Haley Joel Osment (el nenito de Sexto sentido) es un excelente actor. Esta pelicula tiene en parte una trama bastante trillada (seriously!! cuantas peliculas sobre adolescentes jugadores de basquet que son heroes en su escuela necesitan los americanos?!) por otro lado tiene algunos giros (in)esperados. Aun asi no deja de ser una pelicula aceptable para mirar al mediodia.
January 26, 2010
I'd watch anything with the talented Haley Joel Osment in!
December 23, 2009
This is a movie about basketball....I mean...This is a movie about drugs....Wait... it's a movie about basketball players on drugs...no wait, or drugs dealers who play basketball. What IS this about? That's what I was wondering for the duration of the film. Haley Joel Osment's performance was disappointing, as well as performances from every other actor who got casted. Mediocre acting and story, but some satisfyingly real basketball that didn't end with a triumphant buzzer beater, but rather some nice, simple free throws. Do yourself a favor, and don't watch this.
October 14, 2008
Does writer/director Rusty Gorman know Hoosier basketball? Absolutely. I don't know how the film's basketball scenes will play in states across the country, but to be clear, Gorman has nailed the atmosphere and the excitement. Added to that, Gorman guides a talented young cast through a series of situations that, in the hands of a less-skillful director, would translate as cliche. Instead, "Home of the Giants" systematically moves into more compelling territory every few minutes. There are shocks and surprises, both in story and in character, and nearly all of them are legitimate. The biggest triumph here is that the angst and dread of teenage dilemmas are conveyed with more realism and satisfaction than most films in recent memory.
March 30, 2008
Enuff of the Lee Harvey Osment thing. Totally predictible. Merriman was pretty good
March 20, 2008
I LOVE THIS MOVIE

RYAN MERRIMAN AND HALEY JOEL OSMENT ARE AMAZING AS IS DIRECTOR RUSTY GORMAN!!

the story is awesome and the ending-- WOAH its crazzyy

SEE THIS FUDGING MOVIE, ONE OF MY TOP 5 OF 2007