Home Alone - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Home Alone Reviews

June 9, 2016
It is the best Christmas movie.
½ May 29, 2016
Entertaining but way overrated. It has an okay script, but this movie is really good as it's funny once in awhile, but is entertaining as well.
½ May 19, 2016
Haha! Random movie, but still awsome from when I was a kid.
May 14, 2016
I love this one and #2
April 30, 2016
COoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooool
April 29, 2016
A Christmas classic.
April 17, 2016
Maybe because I have not seen for who knows how long, maybe cause of the memories but I loved watching this again! Classic!
½ March 23, 2016
Why one Earth is a classic like this rated so low?
½ March 13, 2016
fungi ft then ex CCTV deft cf Ryder
March 12, 2016
Hilarious, Crazy, and a great time. Easily the best of the bunch. Not a movie to watch if you're looking for an ounce of realism, but a lot of fun and a good movie to watch during the holidays.
March 9, 2016
The scene with the neighbor is probably the best part
½ February 23, 2016
The holiday movie that kids love. So this is about an 8-year-old boy (Macaulay Culkin) that has been clashing with his giant extended family recently. In the chaos of packing for their Parisian vacation, they manage to accidentally leave him behind. This means he has to fend for himself, so when a pair of burglars set their eyes on his family's home as their next mark, he has to man up and defend his abode. Now this was never a movie that I was a giant fan of; I watched it when I grew up maybe once or twice, but it never worked its way into an annual rotation or anything. My wife, on the other hand, is a completely different story, and she likes to watch this every Christmas holiday. I will admit, while not being an absolute favorite, Home Alone has grown on me, and I have come to terms with it. It is such a staple of the 90's, and everybody is so familiar with this cute kid that has his hands planted on the side of his face. I don't know how important it is that you develop a connection with this in your younger years (I feel very similarly about the movie Hook), but this is ultimately so harmless that it's difficult not to be won over by it. It is Macaulay Culkin's movie to sell, and he does just that, and when you reach the finale where all of the traps start to come into play, that is where Home Alone is at its most entertaining. Home Alone is a giant fantasy for kids. They are nowhere close to owning their own home, so a story of one of their own running the roost is sure to connect when it is handled in such a fashion. It also doesn't hurt that it is ultimately a kid vs. adults story, and the child wins all over the place, making the grown-ups look like complete buffoons. I like the creativity at the end, and there's a message here about the importance of home security. There's nothing wrong with Home Alone, and it's a fun ride, especially for the kids.
February 17, 2016
great,funny,well played movie
½ February 17, 2016
A Christmas classic always good to see this film . Especially around the holidays.
February 15, 2016
Home alone review
Home Alone is a popular 1990 American Christmas-themed comedy written and produced by John Hughes and directed by Chris Columbus. The film not only stars Macaulay Culkin as Kevin McCallister, the son of a large, affluent American family who is accidentally left home alone and then, fights against two burglars played by Joe Pesci and Daniel Stern but also features Catherine O' Hara and John Heard as Kevin's parents. Since its release, Home Alone has become one of the all-time international box office successes, and regardless of the passing of more than two decades, it has surely been a good choice of film for families at Christmas for its ever-lasting priceless messages of family values dispatched through a great number of adventurous and heart-touching scenes.
Home Alone depicts what happens after a large, wealthy family in the Chicago suburb rushes off to Paris for their Christmas vacation, mistakenly leaving behind an allegedly annoying eight-year-old troublemaker named Kevin who initially relishes being home alone, yet subsequently determines to defend his premise against the invasion of the two burglars by his ingenuity and resourcefulness.
Throughout the whole film, the centerpiece is, indeed, the internal growing-up of Kevin indicated through his stages of emotions which have gradually evolved indifference, mischievousness and bad-temperedness into internal maturity and appreciation of family values. Specifically, Kevin at first shows almost no interest in being at peace with his family and relatives, some of whom have criticism towards him for not being helpful but causing problems. He also loses his temper when one of his sibling (Buzz) tells jokes on him, which leads hime to end up being sent upstairs by his mother and even worse, he wishes his whole family to disappear instead of feeling regrets for what he has said and done. Moreover, he adopts an attitude of supreme indifference towards the realization that his family is gone because he is so enthralled and happy with the fact the he is under no control over doing as he was previously told not to, for example, devouring ice cream and watching gangster movies. However, Kevin comes to the knowledge that he has to take care of himself by ordering pizza as well as doing shopping on his own. However, Kevin has made a turning point on his thinking on what family really means by taking to the poor old man Marley, for whom he shows sympathy, followed by having an air of sadness and emptiness sliding through his face on his coming across houses in which people are celebrating Christmas together in great cosiness. The climax of his emotional evolution reaches when he realizes he needs to defend his house against the two burglars on his own terms, which reveals his gradual maturity and determination towards keeping the place of which he is an integrated part. In addition, after protecting his premises from the burglary, he decorates the Christmas tree and his house by himself as if he were an actual adult who wished to have his beloved family back after wanting it to disappear. The film has been a considerable success for vividly describing Kevin's gradual realisation of family values and internal growing-up which definitely leave the audience valuable lessons about family.
It is, however, undoubtful that Home Alone would be a perfection if improvements on its plot could be made. Personally, we believe there is an implausibility that Kevin, despite of his very young age, does not find it scary at all to wake up and have no idea where everyone is in comparison with a normal child. Furthermore, the film puts too much focus on Kevin's intelligence and features two burglars as dummies, which lessens its theatricality to some certain extent.
In conclusion, Home Alone has widely been considered as a comedy film of high quality for its humorous and touching content as well as its excellent settings, lighting, sound effects and many other contributory elements. Therefore, although there are a numerous number of Christmas-themed films having been produced over the past two decades, it is always of high recommendation for families, especially children to watch it when Christmas comes.
February 4, 2016
This is a good family Christmas movie I like Old man Marle he was pretty creepy but I thought he was cool in this movie you will find it funny my favorite line is Kevin!!!
February 3, 2016
One of my favourite movies to watch during the holiday season,gives me a good laugh.
½ January 31, 2016
funny and an alright movie.
January 30, 2016
"This house is so full of people it makes me sick. When I grow up and get married, I'm living alone. Did you hear me? [pouncing] I'm living alone! I'm living alone!"
"This is my house, I have to defend it."
January 24, 2016
funny it makes me laugh my pant's off