A Home at the End of the World - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

A Home at the End of the World Reviews

½ November 27, 2016
Sometimes moving at a snail's pace, AHATEOW tells the story of 2 friends who become family members, who almost become lovers, and who become roommates with wacky lady. This has a bunch of tales in it, some much different then the other, and it's met with mixed success. I think the parts that work the best is when the kids are teens. When the kids are adults, everything starts to slow down (yes, just like in real life) and the whole thing, I swear, becomes a 2000s version of Threesome. You remember, with Stephen Baldwin and Lara Flynn Boyle?

Rewatch notes: Wow, my opiniion of this has definitely changed. I was plenty moved by all aspects of this movie, teens AND adultswise. Not boring at all.... Just lovely, sad, joyous,and everything else.
½ August 25, 2015
A simple and poignant film about muddling through life and the desperation to belong somewhere. The characters are interesting and commendably established, not too much and not too less, just enough to know their minds and emotions. The movie has quite a few unique and memorable scenes, from the initial elder-brother-having-sex scene, to mom smoking up, and mutual masturbation.

Colin Farrell really surprised me with his nuanced portrayal of a sensitive and innocent guy trying to find a firm grip on life, who time and again loses people closest to him. And talented actors like Sissy Spacek and Robin Wright were welcomed additions, who play intriguing characters, different from what they've played before. Debutant Dallas Roberts was good as well.

One would expect more conflict when three characters are trying to establish a family together, but the calm and composed outlook was refreshing. The story moves from one moment to the other, and then just tries to deal with it, just like life; doesn't lead to, or even promise, a strong or compelling ending. It takes us in and then throws us out, leaving us there to contemplate...just like Bobby (Colin); we see and feel everything through his eyes.
July 29, 2015
Admire the actors and the effort but just to damn sugary sweet for my taste.A little more grit would've gone a long way.
½ November 10, 2014
A bittersweet story of a very intimate and intricate family unit of two unlikely best friends and a woman whose affection for them they cannot reciprocate. Beautifully written and delicately performed, it is yet another quietly powerful story from Michael Cunningham who also wrote THE HOURS.
September 30, 2014
One of the best movies I've ever seen. Awesome, particularly to a broad-minded audience.
½ June 25, 2014
There are so many things wrong with this film.
February 21, 2014
an interesting story with good acting.
December 31, 2013
Another film that happen to be more interesting for it's cast than it's subject in my opinion but some people might argue this idea simply because this film deals with unconventional love & AIDS in the 80's.
August 7, 2013
A film about childhood friendship, brotherhood and partnership to the end. Colin Farrell reprised his role of same gender bonding since playing Oliver Stone's Alexander. Colin did an admirable job as being the sensitive caring friend available lover to his gay best friend even though he was heterosexual.
½ July 1, 2013
Although I didn't care for the beginning, the story grew on me, because the main thread was that love is what is important in life, no matter what form it comes in. Colin Farrell"s role was a very different one for him, but he did well in it, as did Dallas Roberts and Robin Wright, although she was really too old for her part. And Sissy Spacek was her usual wonderful self as an actress. It held my interest and I wanted more in the end, which is always a good sign in a movie.
½ June 1, 2013
The movie I would like to get stoned for. Sissy Spacek trying to get that virgin hit (as if Carrie wasn't enough getting stoned for). Laura Nyro, Leonard Cohen, Jefferson Airplane, and Bob Dylan music for a place "big and noisy and beautiful". Walking along dark corridors while everybody's sleeping, basking in the world "in between life and death". Colin Farrell, still that Irish slips sometimes, but successful in pulling off a softie. A film wanting to escape from scrutinizing eyes and floating off to a height where it can only see statues as real angels.
Bathsheba Monk
May 29, 2013
I'm so used to fast-paced American film, that when a real story unfolds i have to force myself to slow down and pay attention. That was the case here, and it was worth hanging in for. It's a beautiful look at love in all its permutations and family and how getting family and love doesn't always follow the official playbook.
April 13, 2013
Not as good as book at all, shame good cast!
March 9, 2013
Very touching, soulful piece of cinema about the shared lives of several characters, and the fluidity of love. That's the take-away message here, that sometimes love is just so pure and knows no labels and follows no conventions. Farrell is surprisingly good as the lead character, although his personality change from teenage to adulthood seems a little sketched rather than drawn. I suppose it's supposed to be that the adult Bobby Morrow was like his child self and his teen self rolled into one, hesitant, ethereal character. Whatever it is, Farrell does it convincingly- and one wonders why he doesn't take more dramatic roles, since it's clear he can act. Sissy Spacek gives the second best performance in this, but that's rather underselling it, since it's played so touchingly. Robin Wright and Dallas Roberts also do a good job, but her 'crazy girl' and his 'skittish gay' are perhaps a little more lazily realised- both being clichÚs. Fortunately this is the sort of film where that doesn't matter. It might ramble, and ultimately is a little bit too free-form- but that's a plus point in my book. Great soundtrack as well. So if you don't mind films that are about the journey more than the destination, then this is one for you.
½ January 13, 2013
You don't care for these characters and Farrell doesn't seem right for a role like this where he has to play sweet, earnest, and confused. The guy just looks like he wants to kick too much ass for that.
December 16, 2012
Made me think. Great performances!
½ December 13, 2012
Happened upon this on cable one day and it was definitely the best thing that happened to me that day. Enjoyed the quirkiness and intensity of the characters. Loved everything about it but have to give the biggest rave to Colin Farrell. He played the part to the hilt. Crazy for a good melodrama and this one delivered.
December 2, 2012
It was depressing but a good story. Colin Farrell's character went through alot but he maintained which is inspiring.
November 12, 2012
I absolutely love this film and the performance by Mr. Colin Farrell!
October 6, 2012
The 3 leads, particularly Farrell and his younger counterparts, bring their eccentric and lost characters to life very well. Although the formation of this makeshift family seems surreal, at the same time, it does feel touching and enviable in its honesty. And great job to Sissy Spacek as well.