A Home at the End of the World - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

A Home at the End of the World Reviews

Bathsheba Monk
May 29, 2013
I'm so used to fast-paced American film, that when a real story unfolds i have to force myself to slow down and pay attention. That was the case here, and it was worth hanging in for. It's a beautiful look at love in all its permutations and family and how getting family and love doesn't always follow the official playbook.
½ October 2, 2012
A free-spirited, sexually flexible threesome form a makeshift family unit during the 1980s.
Colin Farrell wasn't as annoying as he could have been. That's the best that I can say about his performance in this nice, sincere film. He plays Bobby with a childlike innocence, and the film as a whole takes on his naivete, which isn't necessarily a bad thing because it's about characters who create their own oasis in a world that attempts to thrust them into limiting categories.
Dallas Roberts's Jonathan carries the film; his character has the most conflict and the most to gain out of the peace that the characters eventually establish, and Roberts's naturalistic performance is eminently believable. Robin Wright's work as Clare reminds me of Anne Hathaway's performance in Rachel Getting Married because it seems like an actress playing edgy and strange for the sake of edgy and strange; she's not believable in a role that doesn't work for her.
Overall, I liked A Home at the End of the World because its theme of defying social perceptions in favor of a small community - a cadre of love - charms me despite my cynical belief that such a group could never exist in real life.
½ May 7, 2012
Unconventional people do unconventional things in this daring screen adaptation of Michael Cunningham's story about members of a love triangle that decide to be and to have a family together. But how is that sort of thing done? Somebody's feelings are bound to get hurt ... an amazing Colin Farrell and the always luminous Sissy Spacek steal the show in this adult themed family introspective about wanting to have a home.
½ April 1, 2007
Colin Farrell and Sissy Spacek give masterful performances.
½ June 8, 2005
"A Home at the End of the World" starts in Cleveland, 1967 where nine year-old Bobby is introduced to the wonders of marijuana by his older brother. The older brother then promptly walks through a window during a party and dies. It skips ahead a few years when Bobby meets Jonathan in high school and insinuates himself into Jonathan's family. It skips ahead to New York City in the 1980's when Bobby(Colin Farrell) joins his friend in the big city. Jonathan(Dallas Roberts) is outwardly gay and sharing an apartment with an older woman, Clare(Robin Wright Penn).

"A Home at the End of the World" is a ploddingly told tale that takes thirty minutes to even get started. It might be about unorthodox family structures but that's about it. The ill-defined characters simply consist of types and cliches. We never really get to know who Clare is, even though she is a key player and Bobby is simply a dense piece of matter. Robin Wright Penn and Sissy Spacek simply deserve better than this.
October 2, 2008
This film got off to such an awful start that I immediately regretted buying it. It didn't turn out to be a masterpiece, but it contains some very moving scenes and uniquely interesting character dynamics. Structurally it's a little clunky, and there are moments when it feels forced and pretentious, but overall it's a worthwhile watch.
October 21, 2006
I was *so* disappointed with this film. For starters at not much over 90 minutes, it's *far* too short. Secondly, all the characters except for Farrell's are badly drawn, and thirdly, Farrell (IMHO) is miscast as Bobby. Michael Cunningham, who wrote the screenplay, also wrote the far superior book. Even if you loved this movie, go read the book instead - it'll blow your mind.
February 3, 2007
Deeply touching.
½ January 9, 2011
Happened upon this on cable one day and it was definitely the best thing that happened to me that day. Enjoyed the quirkiness and intensity of the characters. Loved everything about it but have to give the biggest rave to Colin Farrell. He played the part to the hilt. Crazy for a good melodrama and this one delivered.
September 19, 2011
This is one of those movies that is just all around great movie. It will make you laugh it will make you cry but it also makes you feel like you know the characters in the movie real well. A Must See.
July 28, 2010
For a very long time, my favorite movie was 'The Big Chill'. Part of the reason why was the great ensemble cast, part was the great story, and part was the brilliant soundtrack. 'A Home At The End Of The World' is very much like that; a bit of this, and a lot of that, all put together to make a thing greater than the sum of its parts, even though those parts are each superb in itself. From the very beginning, this film sits comfortably in the cozy space in your psyche and warms you - the young boys were so good, and Ryan Donowho....wow...I can't wait to see more of him. His presence is riveting, and he's hard not to look at, I daresay he's even beautiful.
Colin Farrell made me a fan for life with his performance here. I was already a fan, but he made this role something more than the words on the script. Sissy Spacek was delightful as Alice, the suburban mom with just a touch of hippie, and maybe a dash of stoner. Robin Wright Penn's Clare was the force that bound the boys together despite not being able to stick it out to the end. And Dallas Roberts's Jonathan was half a dozen of the gay boys I've dated, and more than a few that I've tricked with. Erik Smith, the 1974 Bobby, has a presence of his own, and I can see him going places, too. He did a phenomenal job, especially considering that he was working with Sissy Spacek, something of a legend.
There were parts of the movie, like when the teenage boys were pretend sleeping, but really trying to get into each other's pants, that made me squirm a bit. I'll let discretion be the better part of valor on that, but I think you catch my drift. But every scene held my attention, and it was like I was in the movie itself. It takes a strong story, great casting and acting, but it mainly takes a great director to make that happen.
I heard "Soave Sia Il Vento" from "Cosi Fan Tutte" by Mozart in the scene on the rooftop, and then in the closing credits, I noticed that Tom Hulce is the producer. Coincidence? Probably not, but nicely done anyway.
Yeah, it's hard not to love the soundtrack, but I won't go into it. There's far too much on there for me to talk about, and then I'd just be rambling. Let's just say that I'll be looking for it to buy.
It's a great movie. It made me cry. It made me laugh. I'll watch it again. And again.
January 14, 2009
loved this movie. i cry every time i see this. at certain times in our lives we come across a movie that speaks to us. you just have to go with it and watch it as many times as you can
½ November 19, 2008
Just a fabulous movie that is heartfelt and humble. There are so many different definitions of family these days and this is a story about one that is different. I loved it.
½ August 28, 2008
I realy enjoyed the movie but with most books made in to movies the book is much better. But this is still a great movie. If you enjoyed it check out the book.
June 27, 2008
So good, and so depressing. Amazingly true to the book, except that the movie ended early, which seemed like a cop out.
June 10, 2008
Colin Farrell's performance in this film truly shows how incredible of an actor he really is. It is such a great story from start to finish and just overall enjoyable to watch.
½ March 26, 2008
Colin shouldve had an oscar for this...i like this a lot better than the hours...and i LOVE the hours!!
April 29, 2007
I love this movie because it asks the question 'what makes a family?' in this day and age where if youre not the 'norm' it feels you don't have the right to exisit. Beautiful performances from Colin and Sissy. Worth watching.
January 21, 2008
In 1971 Alvin Toffler wrote a book called "Future Shock", a remarkably prescient look at the kind of changes our rapidly changing world could expect. Part of the book discussed the future of relationships and family, predicting gay marriage and "non-traditional" family dynamics that could work just as well as a traditional family. This movie is exactly what he was writing about. This movie makes the case that while it can perhaps get a bit more emotionally messy, where there's love, there's family. Thankfully, all three of the main characters, while complex, are still likeable. No hipsters in the bunch, so whether you're gay, straight, or other, you can relate to them without feeling that they're too cool for school. I've really enjoyed Dallas Roberts since watching him in "The L Word" and "Joshua". Robin Wright Penn is great and strong in a role that could very well have marginalized a less adept actress. The big surprise for me here is Colin Farrell. Like Russell Crowe, it's hard for me to seperate the attitude from the actor, but his role as Bobby in this gives me newfound respect for his acting abilities. There is not a hint of egotism here. His Bobby is an open book, a wide-eyed innocent you can't help but fall in love with. While the end was a bit too abrupt for my taste, this was a great, entertaining drama.