A Home at the End of the World - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

A Home at the End of the World Reviews

June 6, 2012
Unconventional...challenging the norm; that is what tries to be magnificent about this film. Even though I liked the movie, the book is leaps and bounds better. It is almost like Michael Cunningham was writing about his first love...and who knows? Maybe he was. When speaking of the film, it does dabble in magic. Colin Farrell was a good choice for the role of Bobby, and Dallas Roberts has his fits and spurts of greatness. Overall, I thought the movie captured moments of the book's intrigue, but it couldn't quite harness it all.
½ May 13, 2012
I guess it was a much better book.
½ May 7, 2012
Unconventional people do unconventional things in this daring screen adaptation of Michael Cunningham's story about members of a love triangle that decide to be and to have a family together. But how is that sort of thing done? Somebody's feelings are bound to get hurt ... an amazing Colin Farrell and the always luminous Sissy Spacek steal the show in this adult themed family introspective about wanting to have a home.
April 11, 2012
Some points taken off for Colin Farrell's mullet.
April 9, 2012
Loved the first half, but hated the second half.
March 1, 2012
Based on his novel of the same name, Michael Cunningham has written a screenplay that, although similar to The Hours in theme, is very unique. Its focus is on our search for acceptance, for the people who define us, for a home, even if it is at the end of the world.
½ February 2, 2012
One of the most overlooked movies of the last decade. One of Farrell's best roles.
January 25, 2012
Never seen it until today...
½ January 24, 2012
A solid enough flick about a man who can never quite grip with loneliness.
½ January 5, 2012
I met Michael Cunningham (the person who wrote this book as well as The Hours), so I was interested in seeing this. Alas, I did not enjoy it which is a pity, really, because I've been wanting to see it for a couple of years now. I'm guessing the book is probably better but I really disliked this movie. Maybe it's because the previews mentioned how Bobby (Colin Farrell) has made people fall in love with him all his life...okay. But why? What's so special about him? He just seems to be an indecisive blank piece of paper. I learned nothing from these characters and at conflicted moments in the movie, they yell and then one of them says something funny or allegedly "deep", and they all start laughing and everything is okay again. What? No. I wanted a drama. Not a "Hahahaha never mind it's all okay now. Guess it wasn't that big of a deal" flick. Also, when the three main characters are shopping for a house, their dialogue that takes place over this montage of car-driving, house-looking is unbearably corny. Robin Wright Penn is usually a pleasant addition to any film, but here we're supposed to assume her character is so outrageous and carefree solely based on her make-up, hair and crazy clothes. That's nothing. I want more proof. The first 45 minutes really had me sucked in, I thought the story between Bobby and his brother was semi-interesting and I looked forward to some progression in that area, but no. The only interesting relationship in the entire movie and they killed it. Literally.
½ December 30, 2011
The characters have such a depth you can't help but feel for them but the movie itself is so strange it's distracting.
½ December 27, 2011
Way too much cheese for my liking.
December 26, 2011
Never seen it until today...
December 14, 2011
Great performances ... Great Movie!!!!
November 9, 2011
totally awsome and heartfelt movie... (for non-homophobic people of course)
½ October 27, 2011
I would want to like this: a story about an unconventional central character, Bobby, and his extraordinarily loving relationships with people of all ages and both sexes. But somehow it didn't seem credible: here's this guy who acts a bit simple, is incredibly beautiful, and is also apparently completely bisexual. The plot is both obscure and incompletely narrated. It's good, forgettable fun, sadly. I don't know what's missing from the film, but somehow it doesn't work.
September 29, 2011
The relationships between the characters are poorly defined, so they do weird things that seem unmotivated and frustrating. The direction is pretty flat, too.
September 21, 2011
Pretty good and some parts are disturbing.
September 19, 2011
This is one of those movies that is just all around great movie. It will make you laugh it will make you cry but it also makes you feel like you know the characters in the movie real well. A Must See.
½ September 12, 2011
Disjointed. The critics are right in that the pacing is really off and it's a series of cuts to the novel. Some of the events in the novel (Bobby's dad, for instance dying after they are out of high-school for a year) have been changed around (he dies while they're in high school), but for the most part the movie attempts to follow the novel. It's just poorly adapated to the screen due to the cuts Cunningham mad to fit it within a two hour limit. I kinda wish they took a LotR 3-hour approach to the movie to give the book more room to breathe for pacing.