Home Sweet Home - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Home Sweet Home Reviews

April 9, 2015
The poster in this film has a blurb from a review that says 'Home invasion horror gets a new twist'. Seriously. Somebody actually said this about this movie. I'd like for it to be explained to me how this is different than every home invasion horror film in existence. I'm literally trying to think how this film was any different than all other films of this type and I'm really struggling. The poster is also misleading because it implies that the person invading the house is a woman and that this woman has an ax, a weapon that is never brandished by anybody in the actual film. Someone does brandish a sword, but that's about it. So I don't know. Never a big fan of a marketing department that likes to pretend that the film is something different than what it is. Like a movie with Colm Meaney and Brendan Fraser, whose poster made it look like it was an action-packed film with Fraser carrying a gun, when it was a silly comedy where no one at any point of the movie actually shot a gun. While this movie is certainly watchable enough, it's got one of those 'let's see how long we can go on without talking' beginnings. And I just hate that shit. It's not that it couldn't work if done correctly, but it came across as so ostentatious. The film being as short as it is, so they felt the need to make everything that much longer with the pacing of the first 15 minutes. The entire film, honestly, is much too arrogant. Perhaps arrogant isn't the right word to describe it, but it just feels like it's pretending to be much more than what it actually is. The main characters themselves are literally the most boring characters you will ever see in a horror movie. I think that makes it hard to care about them when the shit hits the fan. I guess the idea of this unknown intruder coming into their house and murdering them is supposed to be enough for you to rally behind this couple, mostly Sara, since her husband is dispatched fairly easily. I don't know, maybe if the characters were a little more interesting than they were and the film didn't pretend to be something that it wasn't then it honestly might've worked. The movie is very minimalist, there's hardly any dialogue with the exception of when the couple arrives to their house after a night out. Other than that, the film is slow, plodding, and boring. I suppose the idea is to build suspense but it didn't really anything for me. Comes across like they had a 25 page script that they stretched out beyond belief. It's not that there's not enough material, it's that they take what they have and slow everything down so it plays out as long as possible on screen. There's some examples where the film simply has a lot of filler, as evidenced by At the Devil's Door. There's other times when they take what they do have and they slow everything down to a halt so it makes the film longer. Of course this means that the pacing is terrible. It's not a movie that overstays its welcome, a lot, but it still feels longer than it actually is. The climax itself also reinforces the film's showy aspects. They use slo-mo while a loud classical score plays. For what reason do they do this? Just cause. Easily the worst reason to do anything, when it comes to a movie at least. It doesn't serve any real purpose other than to show off. And the thing is, the movie isn't actually bad. I mean if they embraced what they were rather than pretending to be something else, it might've been a lot better. But this attitude towards filmmaking gives the idea that they're above the normal home invasion thriller, when it's really not. Just embrace what you are, go with it, and just go all out. Not a terrible movie, but one that's much too concerned about other things to impress others as opposed to being a good horror movie. Watch at your own risk.
½ August 1, 2014
(A whole new meaning to the word terrible)
This film is very bad in almost every way possible. I could follow the story, but the acting was terrible, the special effects were way over the top and it had way to much gore, so much that it was un-believe-able. It also had a pathetic ending to it, except for a good twist, besides that skip it, I don't recommend that any horror fans or movie-goers should see this movie. This is one in which you will waste your time on, I assure you will loose your valuable time, I sure did.
Sorry folks but this film sucks. If I could I would give it 0 stars, it's pathetic and it looks like something that an independent film crew did, then sent it to the Sundace film festival. Overall it sucks.
April 14, 2014
Directed by David Morley, ANOTHER rural home invasion horror. Unoriginal please stop.
April 12, 2014
This is the wrong movie poster for the synopsis and trailer
½ February 15, 2014
It has been a longtime since I have seen a film as pointless as Home Sweet Home.
½ November 8, 2013
It's decent the home invasion scenes get you going but she was dumb! lol
½ October 11, 2013
31 Days of Horror (2013): #22
August 23, 2013
I rented this movie and it sucks so don't waste your money on this movie
½ July 25, 2013
Creepy and scary but the girl character is so stupid its almost painful to watch.
½ July 25, 2013
C-

An OK effort on the home invasion type of movies. The acting is decent, the score is eh but I would skip this, you would have a better chance at finding something better on Netflix.
June 20, 2013
I rented this at a redbox. I had no idea what is was, but I felt like a cheesy movie. And let me tell you, this surprised the hell out of me. I put it on expecting a generic, cliche home invasion movie. It is the complete opposite of that. It's tense, actually very scary and well made. The directing is shot great, and is well filmed. The killer in this is not what I expected at all. He's not like one of those dumb serial killers who breaks into a house and does stupid things right off the bat. He had a plan on how to do it, and it worked great he didn't do those stupid little things. He thought it out. The acting was just decent, not really surprised. I can get over that though its not like it was painful to listen to. Overall, Hole Sweet Home is a tense, and actually surprisingly smart, scary home invasion movie that's isn't dumb and cliche. A good watch for a night in.
½ May 24, 2013
very slow to start but the pace picks up really well once you get into the invasion. a great watch. decent twist to the ending as well
½ May 24, 2013
An absolute shocker of a movie, an all time turkey.