Homeward Bound II - Lost in San Francisco Reviews

• Mar 09, 2021

I actually never watched the follow up to the 1993 original growing up. All I knew that this one takes place in San Francisco. The two dogs and cat are back for another adventure to find their way back home. The family decides to take a trip to Canada but while Chance, Sassy, and Shadow are being transported on their flight they get separated. Now they're running about the streets of San Francisco. New dangers include some dog catchers, stray dogs in the neighborhood. Chance runs into a beautiful white dog named Delilah born a stray. She and other street canines look out for each other but their leader Riley doesn't trust humans since as a puppy he wasn't accepted. Now it has Chance worried his human Jamie might be tired of him. Will he stay with Delilah or go back to his humans? The sequel is fair enough and does its job. Doesn't break any new ground with what the first movie did. But a decent follow up and exploring San Francisco is a nice new setting.

• Mar 03, 2021

Funny, original, and cool!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Funny, original, and cool!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Nov 28, 2020

An unnecessary sequel from the company that is known for unnecessary sequels. They recycled a lot of the same ideas from the first film. They're just lost in San Francisco instead of the wilderness this time.

• Sep 25, 2020

A lackadaisical sequel. The wilderness is, arguably, the main reason why 'Homeward Bound: The Incredible Journey', and the film it remakes, is enjoyable. That's because it, obviously, feels peculiar seeing a cat and two dogs in the wild. So what does this film do? It puts them back in their natural habitat, so you're just left with emotionless animals talking telepathically in street alleys. To no-one's surprise, that's super boring. Credit to Michael J. Fox for reprising his role as Chance. He doesn't mind doing sequels, even ones of a poorer variety; e.g. <em>'Stuart Little 3: Call of the Wild'</em> - on that note, I guess <em>'Atlantis: Milo's Return'</em> was a step too far, understandably so! Elsewhere on the cast, all the main humans return as does Sally Field as Sassy. Ralph Waite comes in to replace the late Don Ameche as Shadow, I didn't actually notice a difference if I'm completely honest - astute casting! The film also adds a bunch of random cats and dogs to proceedings, absolutely none of them are memorable; despite a few recognisable names in the cast, including Carla Gugino (Delilah). I'm sure some, especially younger audiences, will find enjoyment here. For me, it's a lame follow-up.

• Jul 07, 2020

Not as good as the original but still fun for the entire family.

Not as good as the original but still fun for the entire family.

• May 09, 2020

This sequel is not as heart warming as the first one from 93. The voice cast that worked well with the first one is back and that could be the only highlight from this one. This movie does not hold up but can bring back memories from your childhood.

• Apr 19, 2019

I remember it being better - nothing more.

I remember it being better - nothing more.

• Dec 31, 2018

Welcome to San Francisco. A city with no visible Animal Control Officer, very lax attitudes towards strays and off-leash animals, very little to no traffic within the city limits and even on side roads and apparently home to a lab where stolen dogs are experimented on. Once again, Chance, Shadow and Sassy find themselves separated from their family by circumstances that could have been remedied if they simply listened. In the original it was we cannot bring you with us, stay at this ranch and we will be back in a couple weeks. Going into this trip to Canada, the family decides the animals need to join them so as not to recreate that scenario. The animals do not listen to the simple instructions they are given, refuse the tranquilizer pills to help them sleep through the flight and subsequently overreact to the point of breaking out of the kennels they were placed in at the airport and running around the fairway looking for the plane with the family on it. This nonsense goes as far as sitting on the runway in front of an oncoming plane believing it will stop and pick them up. From there, we get the tired line from Shadow that he knows where to go and just follow him. Just like the first film, he seriously underestimates how far they travelled to get to the airport and thus begins the adventure through San Francisco's pet friendly streets. As the trio wander through the surprisingly empty streets and alleyways of San Francisco, we meet other strays and a couple domesticated dogs. I will give this film credit, we get a lot more animal characters to invest in, but in the end, we are still rooting for the original 3 animals. The hijinks within the city, ranging from encounters with a pitbull and boxer duo looking to cause trouble to the dog snatchers looking to make apparently between $10-$15 a dog from the lab. My biggest fault with the film is the ending. I felt like the writers had gotten themselves into a corner they could not seem to get out of, how to reunite the family. Having them driving behind the truck that runs over Chance seemed lazy to me and really rushed the reunion. Harkening back to the original film with the whole Shadow may be dead scenario at the end, they played up the possible dead dog situation and gave a very weak pay-off. They even went as far as to reprise the shocking reveal of a barking dog coming into the yard. With the inclusion of Delilah, it seems to throw the family out of whack as now their is more dogs then children. I understood they may have been setting up the three-quel with having her around to give birth to a littler of puppies while perhaps the mother was pregnant with her 4th child, but giving her a name she recognized and enjoyed having within the dog community seemed moot since the family would rename her whatever they wanted. If you loved the original and wish to see where the story went, this film gives a small glimpse into that future, but overall this is not a film that needs to be seen.

• Mar 28, 2018

Cute but lacks the magic the first one had.

Cute but lacks the magic the first one had.

• Jun 15, 2017

I grew up watching this movie and really loved it when I was younger, however I watched it recently and it isn't quite as good as the original homeward bound. It still has some good moments, and I appreciate the fantastic animal acting.