Honey, I Blew Up the Kid Reviews

cosmo313
½ October 2, 2013
Picking up a few years where the first film left off, we follow lovable absent minded inventor Wayne Szalinski as he once again deals with the aftermath of one of his inventions acting up.

This time around he accidentally turns his two year-old son Adam into a giant, and not just that, but Adam gets larger every time he comes into contact with electricity.

This is really not all that different from the first, but I liked how instead of doing the exact same thing, they flipped it in the other direction. It's also cool that the main cast playing the Szalinski's return, though it sucks that Amy O'Neil is only in it for about 2 minutes. As the latest addition to the Szalinski clan, Joshua and Daniel Shalikar are fun as Adam, and the filmmakers do a good job working with such a young performer. Other newcomers include Keri Russell as a love interest for Nick, and John Shea as a slimy rival scientist who takes over Wayne's project.

This is a fun, but sometimes silly and corny movie. It's not as good as the first, but I still like it. The practical effects are well done, but the computer generated ones are kinda dated and poor. But the film is pretty creative with how they portray the scenario, even if none of it feels all that fresh.

It's a pretty breezy film, and, while that's not a terrible thing, I think this could have actually been a tad longer and really tried to develop characters and subplots a bit more. That's just me though.

All in all, I'm probably giving this a bit much credit, but I don't care. I think it's funny, it's an innocent family film, and, while nostalgia plays a big role for me, I still think this is an enjoyable film worth checking out.
TheDudeLebowski65
January 1, 2013
Sequel to the decent Honey, We Shrunk the Kids is a mediocre film that unfortunately doesn't deliver anything exciting and though the effects are good, it doesn't excuse itself for a predictable and stupid plot. I thought that the first film was decent, and fun for what it was, and though nothing great, it still was a fun little family film worth checking out. However, this sequel doesn't have anything exciting or fun that makes it worth seeing, and it fails to capture what the first one did. I thought that the original didn't need a sequel, and worked best as a standalone feature. This one recycles ideas, and makes it predictable for the viewer, thus it's a tiresome affair with a poor plot and poor acting that is quite forgettable. There could have been more effort put into this one, and instead of relying on old ideas, the filmmakers could have created something much better in terms of a sequel. As a whole, this film feels rushed and doesn't deliver anything good. The first flick was very much flawed, but it had a bit of charm to overcome its weaknesses to make at least watchable. The filmmakers simply cut corners on this entry and didn't take their time to come up with a really good plot. It's all the same, except now the kids are giants, nothing more to it. That's really the only difference here. Skip it along with the third part if you enjoyed the first, as it doesn't have any good content in terms of great gags, convincing story and good acting. Everything has been done before and now the filmmakers are going through the motions in trying to create something fun, but they fail.
½ September 6, 2010
I watched this movie a lot when I was a kid, I thought it was so cool that that little kid got to be like king kong. This is a funny and entertaining family film, but it could be better, I think, especially the corny dialogue. The first movie was much better, I recommend watching that one before this one.
MeetMeinMontauk
½ August 19, 2010
I remember liking this movie when I was a kid. As an adult, I see the bad CGI. How much money did this movie cost? Filming on the strip?! Sheesh! Too bad it's not a great movie. But cute.
movieguru12
February 19, 2008
Another movie that has Rick Moranis at his best playing the funny nerd that we all love :) This is definitely a classic! :)
½ June 18, 2010
While it's nowhere near the timeless classic that the original was, this is still interesting to see on the shear fact that there's a giant baby running around Las Vegas. Wayne Szalinski still remains the worst father of all time, somehow managing to use his children as lab rats.
FilmFanatik
April 23, 2007
Nowhere near as much fun as the original.
½ January 22, 2010
Very funny, because it is cheesy at points, but it has something to enjoy about it! I am on the edge of liking it or disliking it!
August 15, 2009
Went to the theater to see this movie with my dad. Always liked every film in this series, and this one is certainly no slouch!
October 2, 2008
This sequal had some interesting parts and carried on okay from the first, but it just didnt carry the same thrill and excitement of what could happen when the kids were shrunk - now we have an oversized baby that might of been took a bit to far when he was over 100 foot on the las vegas strip, but prior to that, and overall the movie was funny - had solid acting scenes - and provided a decent amount of entertainment for a diseny movie.
October 1, 2007
Not bad. Hard to top the first one though.
garyX
½ March 11, 2007
Inevitable and by the numbers family "comedy" that's probably a blast if you are a menopausal woman. I need more than endless shots of a big baby being "cute" to entertain me though...
nuheart
January 5, 2007
More unintentionally funny than anything. The "watch the gear shift" line cracks me up to this day.
December 28, 2006
Pretty good. Vegas gets trashed.
June 12, 2011
Pretty much as good as you'd expect it to be.
June 28, 2007
This movie was super funny!
April 21, 2006
Look, just leave your freaking kids alone already!
October 24, 2007
I liked this better than the first but I'm not sure why, that actor that played the baby was annoying but Kerri Russel as the babysitter and the brother I thought were cute together.
½ May 8, 2009
Ridiculous
November 5, 2007
C'mon! Seriously! Giant baby attacks?