Honey, I Blew Up the Kid - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Honey, I Blew Up the Kid Reviews

April 19, 2018
The best part of this somewhat hacky comedy sequel is the genre change. The first is an adventure film with a suburban backyard as the wilderness. This one is a fairly straight-ahead comedy-cover of an old giant monster flick with a baby playing Godzilla. Sure, the cavalier reactions, obnoxious villains, and incredibly thin story aren't great. But the effects are still super impressive, the humor is good-natured, and Moranis can make almost anything worth watching.
½ September 18, 2017
After the first (successful) movie surrounding shrinkage, and being heavily influenced by some classic sci-fi flicks of the 50's, it was inevitable that we'd see this. Again heavily influenced by some classic black and white sci-fi movies of the 50's, we now find the Szalinskis' with a bigger problem. Yep its basically 'Attack of the 50 Foot Baby' or another 'King Kong' clone/homage.

The plot: Well the title says it all really. Oh OK, set five years after the tiny events of the first movie, the Szalinskis' now live in Nevada. They have a new two year old son called Adam, Nick is now a teenager and Amy has gone to college. Funnily enough Wayne (Rick Moranis) is now working on a ray gun that will increase the size of objects. On a routine trip to his work space at Sterling Labs, little Adam is accidentally zapped with the ray but nothing seems to happen. Later on at home Adam is exposed to electrical waves from the microwave which appear to trigger the enlargement process. Slowly Adam begins to gradually grow bigger and bigger; Wayne and Nick must now try to reverse the process before Adam becomes a danger to himself and others.

So again the main draw here are the effects, the big breezy colourful effects. How do they stand up? Well not too well really. OK lets start positive, there are numerous sequences where it appears that they used someone in a large bodysuit. In some scenes we see live action shots Moranis with a live action giant toddler, but if you look closely this does appear to be a very good bodysuit on an obviously tall person. These shots are always from behind the large toddler so as not to give the game away but they are very effective. This showcases the innovation of the effects crew which unfortunately could only go so far. Other than the usual oversized and undersized props, which are always highly effective if sometimes a bit rubbery looking, much of this movie has to rely on bluescreen and rear projection.

And this is where the movie really falls down, the terrible terrible bluescreen/rear projection effects. The bulk of the effects are unfortunately reliant on these techniques and alas it all stands out like a sore thumb. There are clear brightness differences between the live action in the foreground and projected background. Thick black lines outline much of the effects and the colours are faded throughout. Overall the effect is just way too obvious and really takes you out of the movie. Heck even some of the large sets are bad looking, when Nick and his young female counterpart are riding in Adams oversized pocket, it just looks poor. There are some nice touches of forced perspective in a few shots but again you can see right through them. Don't get me wrong I give them an A for effort but clearly the effects team needed more money or skills, many movies came out before this and looked way better.

Other than the effects there isn't a great deal on offer here frankly. The plot sees a cliched company villain (John Shea) going after the oversized Adam for his own nefarious dastardly deeds (still not entirely sure why he gets fired by Sterling, for being mean?). This inevitably brings about the inevitable 'King Kong' homages as they use helicopters to try and tranquilise Adam. Lloyd Bridges pops up as Clifford Sterling, president of the Sterling company, a company that does...scientific type stuff. Obviously Bridges brings his own brand of spoof-esque humour which is fine but a bit childish, yeah I know its a kids flick but still. Moranis brings home his lovable nerdy Louis Tulley-esque character again; complete with more outrageous inventions which are admittedly pleasing to the eye. Nothing new really, they reverse or mirror some scenes and dialog from the first movie.

The movie ends in Vegas which generally looks horrendous from start to finish effects wise. The movie also becomes very stupid as they apparently evacuate the Las Vegas strip in around five minutes. They also manage to coordinate getting all the lights switched off down the strip in five minutes, like all of them! No one gets hurt, nothing gets damaged, and the way they placate Adam is vomit inducing. I guess its all understandable seeing as its essentially a kids movie but its still very lame, lazy and dull.

Doesn't help that the kid they use for the role of Adam is just kinda annoying, but that's just me. I think the problem here is the over use of an idea, the Kong sized threat. Add to that the fact its a giant toddler which isn't particularly interesting or threatening, and of course the fact the first movie used a less common theme which was executed way better. Overall its all adds up to a relatively fun movie with the odd decent moment. Its just fails to capture the magic of the first movie; in this case miniature things are more fun I think.
June 7, 2017
"Honey, I Blew Up The Kid" comes up with a new exciting premise for the sequel, but its sadly not as fun, inventive, or believable as its predecessor.
June 1, 2017
Fun sequel that takes a bit of a different route. It's totally a kids movie, and some of the effects are dated, but there's still some pretty impressive effects on display and it's got some cute giant-Monster-movie throwbacks.
April 6, 2017
A fun movie. The visual effects are amazing. This movie proves you *don't* need CGI in order to make your movie look amazing.
February 3, 2017
Rick Moranis returns as a completely unlikable inventor who accidentally makes his ugly 2 year old kid really really big. It stands around ... everyone gawks at it. The screenwriters have no clue what to do with the concept. Why doesn't Mrs. Kotter divorce this moron?
½ December 7, 2016
If you're showing off one of the most retarded jokes in the history of cinema, then you know that something is sinisterly wrong with your film. A huge step back from one of the most heartfelt features ever made!
November 25, 2016
Awesome movie! Highly recommend for anyone looking for constant intensity!
November 25, 2016
This films muddled plot and cheap effects are only saved by the sheer enjoyment and wonder in this classic.
March 12, 2016
I don't think its as good as the first one but it's a lot more light hearted and fun. It's a watchable movie that should please fans of the original.
March 5, 2016
The sequel was a bit of a let down but still a bit fun
January 15, 2016
Just as silly as the first. Not as creative but definitely cuter. Rick is still great as always.
October 26, 2015
This movie brings back memories. The movie has aged pretty well and is still funny and entertaining.
July 23, 2015
The Szalinski clan returns with a new addition in another Disney classic. It's gotten a little worse over the years, but it is mostly still a fun family movie and one you won't forget. (First viewing - Childhood)
June 12, 2015
that a good movie you should have this movie­~­~­~­~­~­~­~­~­~­~­~­~­~
½ April 6, 2015
Once more,once to many times into the Honey and the kids.
February 10, 2015
Not gonna say much about this movie because it's not the greatest. It's great to see the same characters I liked from Honey I Shrunk the Kids but the kids weren't likable really... At all... The premise is the same as the original except with a baby and that's entertaining and cute but I just kept thinking of it as the same movie! If you liked the original movie you'd probably somewhat like this movie. C
½ February 10, 2015
I'd like to watch this wonderful family movie with my students. Funny and Charming!
November 27, 2014
A flat and mediocre sequel to 'Honey I Shrunk the Kids'. Originally, this wasn't even suppose to be a sequel, which that would of been a smart idea.

Instead, Disney wanted to take a chance and make sequel to a surprise hit as some kind of quality, but No. I thought Honey I Shrunk the Kids was a now decent but still entertaining, but "Blew up the Kid" is not decent nor entertaining essentially.
November 4, 2014
"ATTACK OF THE 50 FOOT BABY"

- 'Honey, I Blew Up the Kid' is a 1992 comedy adventure and sequel to the popular 'Honey, I Shrunk the Kids' from 1989. The film was directed by Randal Kleiser (Grease, the Blue Lagoon) and is set three years after the events of the first film. Rick Moranis (Ghostbusters, Spaceballs), Marcia Strassman, Robert Oliveri and Amy O'Neill reprise their roles as Wayne, Diane, Nick and Amy Szalinski, who have to stop baby Adam, who accidently walked into an enlargement beam. The attack of the 50 feet baby. Entertaining for the kids, but less good than the previous film.

When Diane (Strassman) goes along with daughter Amy (O'Neill) to help her get ready for collage, Wayne Szalinski (Moranis) and his son Nick (Oliveri) have to babysit the youngest family member Adam. When going to Wayne's lab to work on his latest invention, Adam crawls out of his carriage and gets hit by a laser beam. Unnoticed by his dad and brother, the boy gets back into his place. But when the Szalinski's return home and want to warm up some food, the electromagnetic waves cause Adam to grow. Can the men reverse the process before Diane gets home?