Honey, I Shrunk the Kids - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Honey, I Shrunk the Kids Reviews

March 22, 2017
This was an OK movie. A good premise. Funny at times, but overall the humor is kind of bland. But the acting is good.
½ March 20, 2017
I wasn't interested very much.
½ January 8, 2017
This movie is a nice blast from the past but it's hard to watch in 2017 with how far we've come with CGI. Though I did get to ride the bee at Universal Studios in the early '90s so that was cool.
½ December 30, 2016
Honey, I Shrunk the Kids is directed by Joe Johnston, and it stars Rick Moranis in a science fiction about an inventor that tried to shrink things, but doesn't work, however, when an accident occur and the kids go up to fix the problem, the machine shrink the kids up to where the parents barely see them, and Wayne (Rick Moranis) accidentally put the kids in a garbage bag and put it outside the yard, which the kids need to get back to the house. The story of this is pretty interesting as it'll lead to some fantastic practical and stop-motion effects that makes it feel like a bit of a different world, but only for the fact that the characters have shrunken down. The characters are good in this, with Rick Moranis and Marcia Strassman's characters being one of the best part of the film. The acting is pretty good in this, and the humor is really funny, especially from Rick Moranis with a clever script by Ed Naha and Tom Schulman. The only thing that was a bit of an issue, was that the characters that shrunken down, were a bit obvious to the approach of where it's going, and they just seem like that type of character that is the typical, even though I still like those characters because they're likable and have funny moments. For Joe Johnston's first film, Honey, I Shrunk the Kids is better than you think is going to be and is a lot of fun to watch.
December 16, 2016
Love this movie. Takes me back like home alone or back to the future or ET.
December 15, 2016
Awesome special effects and set pieces.
November 19, 2016
I will admit, I am not age appropriate for this movie. I decided to watch this because I was so used to seeing the trailers for this at the beginning of all my old Disney VHS Tapes. But going in to it as an adult, I didn't think it was that bad. The kids are a good group of kid actors and the parents get some laughs and the movie takes advantage of every opportunity with the kids the size of an ant. They use the grass as slides, a little drop of water seems like a river, a giant battle between an ant and a ... scorpion??, and the deadly lawnmower. For kids, this is a pretty fun movie. For adults, not a bad choice if you are babysitting.
May 16, 2016
have this back on Netflix us streaming please, :)
½ March 12, 2016
A wild disney classic. A thoroughly enjoyable movie that shows off impressive effects for its time. It's an adventure movie in which the peril feels genuine and is a lot of fun.
½ March 5, 2016
Absolutely one of my favourite movies when I was a kid and watched it way too many times. Backyard adventure is amazing!!
February 15, 2016
Subject has disappeared.

A scientist that builds his experiments at home has a distant relationship with his family. The neighbor's kids hit a baseball through the scientist's lab window, and when the neighbors and kids in the house go to see the damage, they are shot by the scientist's ray gun that shrinks them. They accidentally end up in the back yard and will need to find their way home. The shrunk children embark on a mission home through the wilderness of their backyard in hopes of arriving home so the father can turn them back to normal size.

"We're supposed to go fishing!"
"Yeah right! How are you going, as bait?"

Joe Johnston, director of Captain America: First Avenger, Hidalgo, Jumanji, Jurassic Park III, The Rocketeer, October Sky, No Safe for Work, and The Wolfman (2010), delivers Honey, I Shrunk the Kids. The storyline for this picture is very straightforward, but the backyard adventure is fun and unfolds well. The acting is as you'd expect for the genre and includes Rick Moranis, Amy O'Neill, Mark Taylor, Kristine Sutherland, and Matt Frewer.

"If I was your brother I'd put myself up for adoption."
"Yeah, I hope your face end up on a milk carton."

I hadn't seen this in a long time and thought it would be a fun film to watch with my daughter when I found it on Showtime Anytime. She was only mildly interested but I thought it was still fun and an above average addition to the genre. I recommend seeing this once with your children.

"I'm on a new diet...no toxic waste."

Grade: C+/B-
½ January 15, 2016
Creative, though silly. I like the different ways they made this movie, as well as Rick Moranis. And working with kids didn't spell out disaster as it usually does. I liked the visuals and sets and effects.
January 15, 2016
One of those movies from everyone's childhood that is still really fun today.
October 12, 2015
A fun and childhood classic. As I age more and watch these older movies, I do tend to notice some of the "lacks" from these older special effects. Throughout the film though, I was well impressed with them for it's time. The sets were really well done, there were enough moments where it was just hard to tell how they did it effect-wise, and some of the stop-motion effects were pretty decent as well. A few small kids (literally) on one big journey from being swept up from a broom to riding on insects all over. This is clever and well-done entertainment that to me should remain one of the best and most interesting ideas when it comes to non-animated Disney studio films. I am also taking some credit from the fact that there is a movie set play area and a 3D indoor theater show with it's theme at Disney's Hollywood Studios park. The overall film is well-engaging and quite suspenseful.
July 14, 2015
A fantastic Fantastic Voyage-like adventure for youngsters! Surprisingly mostly of the effects actually still hold up really well!
June 30, 2015
Great backyard adventure has some
mild horror moments. Ages 7+
June 28, 2015
Brought back memories of a film watch on a VCR !!!
½ June 21, 2015
"Honey, I Shrunk the Kids" offers solid special effects and enough fun to even draw adults in.
May 19, 2015
I think I will like it
½ April 16, 2015
Family fun that even the adults will enjoy....not a classic but good solid Disney.