Honky Tonk Freeway - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Honky Tonk Freeway Reviews

March 30, 2009
Hated by most critics at the time for its sprawling narrative ,this movie is one of the first ones i watched on my own as a kid.

The basic premise is a good one Small town tries more outlandish schemes to get an Exit ramp built from the Freeway.

What makes it funn is the colurful bunch of folks in the town and on the road.

William Devane is great as the mayor of Ticlaw and Hume Croyn and Jessica Tandy as wonderful as an old couple he still bitter at losing his job she who has 5 old fashioned cocktails to keep her going.

Also worth mentioning arer George Dzunda and Joe Grifasi as bankrobbing bin men and a watersking elephant.

Sure the story is all over the place but i enjoy the film and fell it deserves another chance a neglected gem
February 6, 2015
Directed by John Schlesinger, who after nearly 2 decades of making quite serious minded films, decided he wanted to try his hand at making a comedy. He was pitched this idea by producer Don Boyd (The Great Rock 'n' Roll Swindle (1980) and Aria (1987)), which was a satire on American commercialism and America's love with the open road. Some of it works, and some of it doesn't In the sleepy Florida town of Ticlaw, the town's mayor is dismayed when Kirby T. Calo (William Devane) is dismayed when they learn a nearby freeway being built will have no turn off to Ticlaw, even though they paid the road builders to do so. When that doesn't happen, they paint the town pink to attract tourists, and though various circumstances, visitors to Florida from all over America end up in Ticlaw. They include elderly couple Carol (Jessica Tandy) and Sherm (Hume Cronyn); a cocaine dealing hitchhiker (Daniel Stern), apspiring children's author Duane Hansen (Beau Bridges) and two nuns (Geraldine Page and Deborah Rush). It's a very silly film which includes a flyover getting blown up, an elephant on water ski's and a whole town painted pink. Understandably, this made it a very expensive film for it's day, and no thanks to poor promotion, it was a massive flop. It hurt Schlesinger's career for a few years, but it's not that bad, just a mess.
½ October 16, 2012
The best part was the story about Ricky the Diving Pony as told to Japanese children. They misunderstood and became afraid that Lickey was gonna get 'em!
I guess The Big Bus should have stopped by and blown up. I'll review that one too.
January 19, 2012
John Schlesinger has directed some great films over his distinguished career. "The Falcon and the Snowman", "Midnight Cowboy", "Marathon Man". What drew him to an early 80's drive-in flick like "Honky Tonk Freeway" is a mystery that maybe only the man himself would be able to solve.
I can't argue that there is a gem of a good idea here, but the vast majority of this is filler material. It spends most of the movie on a vast array of supporting characters that sort of reminded me of an Irwin Allen disaster picture. There are some good actors here, and some laughs along the way, but the whole thing just feels like an exercise in excess.
Why couldn't it just be about this small town in Florida fighting the system to get an off-ramp? I don't know. Every other thing in this picture is kind of unnecessary, despite the smattering of good moments along the way. Beau Bridges has some funny moments here as quite possibly the worst children's author ever, and the couple of Hume Cronyn and Jessica Tandy are also fun in their roles.
However, another thing that concerned me is that for a "PG" rated flick there are a lot of unsavory moments in this. David Rasche plays a pimp who apparently converts waitresses into prostitutes and Daniel Stern peddles cocaine throughout the whole thing. That kind of stuff just doesn't fit in well with the tone of the rest of the movie.
I did kind of like some of the hokey country songs, however. It's weird but true, but they sort of fit in with the weirdness that is "Honky Tonk Freeway". You have to wonder just what the point of it all is.
November 18, 2011
Honky Tonk Freeway reminded me a lot of Cannonball Run that came out the same year. It's a mad mad comedy w/ so many characters that in the end loses focus on the task @ hand that ends up being more anarchy then actual laughs. Maybe that was a comedy trend in 81 but it throws too much @ you that you can't catch your breath but it isn't from busting a gut. It's too much & in the end makes the film too long. Now I like the cast that is involved but they really could have thinned it down & did away w/ so many subplots. In fact this could have used a much simpler approach & just been about a small Florida town trying to get an off ramp. This would have been better suited if it was just a story about the fight against bureaucracy & those directly involved
May 25, 2011
Small Florida town seeks an exit off the new freeway by any means to promote tourism in their town. Contains a mish-mash of characters travelling through with varying subplots. Known best as a box office flop, perhaps deservingly so.
January 21, 2011
This is a classic 1980's movie. It's great to see actors in roles when they were much much younger....or alive in some cases.
October 30, 2009
This movie was funny from beginning to end.Everyboody should see it at least once.
June 30, 2009
This is a fun film. One of my favorites. Licky the Carnivorous Pony is the best!
½ August 12, 2008
Great time waster, esp. on a Sunday morning when there is nothing else on. Pretty damn funny
½ July 19, 2008
the international house of pancake is the one consistant thing in my life
June 23, 2008
Very different, but was funny. I like this movie. I will not buy it, but its something to watch one tv.
April 6, 2008
Nothing like a star-studded comedy romp from '81.
½ March 11, 2008
I'll admit, it was bad. I've been banned from picking out the movies after this one.
½ February 24, 2008
This was one of those movies I remember seeing as a child on HBO back when they were STARVING for programming. The movie REALLY did not make too much sence, and there was like ZERO though going into what the characters were really doing, but it was good to watch in a nastalgic-sort-of-way. Only watch this one if you have NOTHING else to watch. It's not bad, just brainless.
January 26, 2008
Totally worth my time. Loved the stupidity of it. Only in the late 70s early 80s could this have even been made. It is a far cry from excellent, but worth watching once. I love Showtime-On-Demand. Where else could you find such a forgotten masterpiece?
January 2, 2008
I'm going to have to watch this movie again. Some parts of it I didn't understand. Overall, the movie is slow and ends with confusion.
June 5, 2007
This is hysterical. So many funny lines to quote. "I'm sittin up front.. na-na-na-na-naaaa"