Hook - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Hook Reviews

½ June 5, 2016
In yet another example of revisiting a film from my childhood, 'Hook' was an interesting rewatch. The film has a lot of moments that stuck with me through the years but it wasn't until tonight that I realized just how painfully cheesy they are. Oftentimes Spielberg can get away with these moments in my book but in 'Hook' he pushes it to an extreme.

Can we also talk about how unnecessarily long this is? Chop out another 30 minutes (there's definitely enough fluff to do that) and this might make for a briskly enjoyable trip down memory lane, but as it is you'll more likely be put to sleep.

One star given alone is dedicated to the crazy old man screaming, "It's snowing!"
May 30, 2016
Not the best from Spielberg but it has its charm.
½ May 23, 2016
Hook is directed by Steven Spielberg, and it stars the late Robin Williams, Dustin Hoffman, and Julia Roberts in a fantasy film about Peter Pan growing up, completely forgetting about his life as Peter Pan in Neverland, that is until his kids get kidnapped and he has to go back to Neverland. I've heard about this film, whether it has negative reviews from critics, and a very positive review from Nostalgia Critic. So for watching Hook myself, it's really good, but it's very flawed though. The performances are very good, especially Robin Williams and Dustin Hoffman. The premise is very clever, and it does take a bit of advantage of it. The score by John Williams is very memorable and catchy, and the effects are really good, even if the sets do look obvious. There are funny moments in it, and the way Neverland works is cool and imaginative. It's very cliched however, and it's too sappy for its own good. The last act can get a bit irritated however despite with some cool fight scenes, and there a lot of plot points that don't make sense. Steven Spielberg's Hook is probably one of his weakest films, but I still had a fun time watching it.
½ May 21, 2016
With Robin Williams and Dustin Hoffman starring, and Spielberg directing, I expected something stronger. However, take nothing away from this charming and fun romp that the two great stars carry on their shoulders. Bob Hoskins is especially funny as Smee.
½ May 18, 2016
Hook is, more or less, a mixed bag. It looks lovely, has a ton of charm and a fun spirit, likable characters, and a interesting mash-up of the classic Peter Pan story. It is also too long, has a ton of slow scenes, embarrassing moments, and only a few funny jokes. With that in mind, it's still a enjoyable Steven Spielberg film, even if it's pretty flawed.
May 16, 2016
There's a true magic in this film, especially if you want a fun time with heartfelt moments with memorable and entertaining performances, and a score done by John freaking Williams. Truly a classic in my eyes, no matter what anyone says.
May 15, 2016
Robin Williams, Dustin Hoffman & Julia Roberts are so fun in this movie which always keeps you engaged! It has a great energy about it and is very aesthetically pleasing as well.
May 13, 2016
anybody here from channel awesome
½ April 28, 2016
RUFIO! RUFIO! RU FI OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

also it's a really fun movie with amazing acting on the most part (the daughter wasn't great) very funny. the sets were cool. robin williams is brilliant. super creative and RUFIOOOOOO!
April 16, 2016
How in the hell did this movie only receive a 30% is beyond me. Amazing cast and a real movie that made me happy after watching.
April 4, 2016
Fun adaptation of the classic Peter Pan story, with it's fair share of goofy moments, but enough whimsy to take it's place in the heart's of users.
April 1, 2016
Amazing movie. Classic movie. Must see for all kids
April 1, 2016
Pretty awful film. Dustin Hoffman and Bob Hoskins should be ashamed of themselves, lowering to this level, even for a Speilberg kids blockbuster and a huge pay packet. I would expect it of Robin Williams who is perfectly suited to terrible films like this.
jamrcla
March 26, 2016
Good film, Dustin Hoffman steals the show with a great performance, The film itself is Ok but a little silly and forced at times.
½ March 23, 2016
92%
Hook is a delightful and colorful film for all ages.

V: 53%
March 4, 2016
Hook is a fun and cool movie for kids, but as an adult, it is silly and pointless. Robin Williams is awesome, but there are scenes that make no sense.
March 3, 2016
Best Peter Pan film ever
½ February 21, 2016
A seminal movie in my childhood. I make no apologies.
February 18, 2016
Truly magical, dark, witty, great score, great sets, it has everything. Also it's pacing is excellent. 2 hours and 16 minutes that zipped by. People whom don't like this movie aren't worth being around, they are broken.
February 14, 2016
Despite a heart-warming performance by Robin Williams and Dustin Hoffman's notable performance of Captain Hook, Spielberg's adaptation of Peter Pan falls short of being as magical and lively as Disney's animated version.