Hook - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Hook Reviews

July 16, 2016
It wasn't til i grew up that i realised the negative reputation it had. This was my favorite childhood film and still is, I even own the soundtrack twice over. This has some truly magical moments and the soundtrack composed by John Williams only adds to the magic, I would recommend you give it a go, you may love it...
½ July 5, 2016
Critics have their heads up their asses on this one which is nothing but golden thru and thru. The more time passes the fonder people remember this film and more people discover it. If that's not the definition of a classic regardless of technical flaws, I don't know what is.
July 3, 2016
A childhood gem filled with action, humor, and cinematic magic.
Film C.
½ June 25, 2016
Reminds me the first Spielberg film ever to be the worst.
½ June 25, 2016
This movie is awesome, I love it. However, with that said, there are a number of problems.
First of all, this movies run time is to long for a family movie. It starts out slow, the first 50 minutes to about the first hour, I think could have cut out a number of shots. Even though it does get better after those 50-60 minutes, it doesn't mean that this movie is like picture frame perfect or anything, several scenes feel like they could've been done better, it can even get a little to corny or too smultzy in the third act, but with that said, it is imaginative, has great heart, and it does have some of that Spielberg charm to it Once the characters develop into those characteristics we loved from the Disney version and the book, you realize these actors are doing a really good job playing their roles, The two main leads Hoffman and Williams do a great job playing their roles. The thing is, this movies plot and story isn't really focus so much on Hook as it should for the movie to be called Hook. The story isn't really about Hook, it's about Peter Pan getting his magic back so he will be able to save his kids from Hook. So if I were to title this movie, I would say it should've been titled Another Pan.
Overall, this is a family movie that parents will probably enjoy watching with their kids, if you don't mind sitting for more than 2 hours watching it. The first 1/3 will be slow, but it gets better from there. There is the Spielberg charm but there are things that could be changed including a new title.
June 12, 2016
Can't imagine my life without this film.
½ June 12, 2016
ROOOOOOOFIOOOOO. Another Robin Williams' great, twisting on a classic tale.
½ June 5, 2016
In yet another example of revisiting a film from my childhood, 'Hook' was an interesting rewatch. The film has a lot of moments that stuck with me through the years but it wasn't until tonight that I realized just how painfully cheesy they are. Oftentimes Spielberg can get away with these moments in my book but in 'Hook' he pushes it to an extreme.

Can we also talk about how unnecessarily long this is? Chop out another 30 minutes (there's definitely enough fluff to do that) and this might make for a briskly enjoyable trip down memory lane, but as it is you'll more likely be put to sleep.

One star given alone is dedicated to the crazy old man screaming, "It's snowing!"
May 30, 2016
Not the best from Spielberg but it has its charm.
½ May 23, 2016
Hook is directed by Steven Spielberg, and it stars the late Robin Williams, Dustin Hoffman, and Julia Roberts in a fantasy film about Peter Pan growing up, completely forgetting about his life as Peter Pan in Neverland, that is until his kids get kidnapped and he has to go back to Neverland. I've heard about this film, whether it has negative reviews from critics, and a very positive review from Nostalgia Critic. So for watching Hook myself, it's really good, but it's very flawed though. The performances are very good, especially Robin Williams and Dustin Hoffman. The premise is very clever, and it does take a bit of advantage of it. The score by John Williams is very memorable and catchy, and the effects are really good, even if the sets do look obvious. There are funny moments in it, and the way Neverland works is cool and imaginative. It's very cliched however, and it's too sappy for its own good. The last act can get a bit irritated however despite with some cool fight scenes, and there a lot of plot points that don't make sense. Steven Spielberg's Hook is probably one of his weakest films, but I still had a fun time watching it.
½ May 21, 2016
With Robin Williams and Dustin Hoffman starring, and Spielberg directing, I expected something stronger. However, take nothing away from this charming and fun romp that the two great stars carry on their shoulders. Bob Hoskins is especially funny as Smee.
½ May 18, 2016
Hook is, more or less, a mixed bag. It looks lovely, has a ton of charm and a fun spirit, likable characters, and a interesting mash-up of the classic Peter Pan story. It is also too long, has a ton of slow scenes, embarrassing moments, and only a few funny jokes. With that in mind, it's still a enjoyable Steven Spielberg film, even if it's pretty flawed.
May 16, 2016
There's a true magic in this film, especially if you want a fun time with heartfelt moments with memorable and entertaining performances, and a score done by John freaking Williams. Truly a classic in my eyes, no matter what anyone says.
May 15, 2016
Robin Williams, Dustin Hoffman & Julia Roberts are so fun in this movie which always keeps you engaged! It has a great energy about it and is very aesthetically pleasing as well.
May 13, 2016
anybody here from channel awesome
½ April 28, 2016
RUFIO! RUFIO! RU FI OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

also it's a really fun movie with amazing acting on the most part (the daughter wasn't great) very funny. the sets were cool. robin williams is brilliant. super creative and RUFIOOOOOO!
April 16, 2016
How in the hell did this movie only receive a 30% is beyond me. Amazing cast and a real movie that made me happy after watching.
April 4, 2016
Fun adaptation of the classic Peter Pan story, with it's fair share of goofy moments, but enough whimsy to take it's place in the heart's of users.
April 1, 2016