Hook - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Hook Reviews

½ April 28, 2016
RUFIO! RUFIO! RU FI OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

also it's a really fun movie with amazing acting on the most part (the daughter wasn't great) very funny. the sets were cool. robin williams is brilliant. super creative and RUFIOOOOOO!
April 16, 2016
How in the hell did this movie only receive a 30% is beyond me. Amazing cast and a real movie that made me happy after watching.
April 4, 2016
Fun adaptation of the classic Peter Pan story, with it's fair share of goofy moments, but enough whimsy to take it's place in the heart's of users.
April 1, 2016
Amazing movie. Classic movie. Must see for all kids
April 1, 2016
Pretty awful film. Dustin Hoffman and Bob Hoskins should be ashamed of themselves, lowering to this level, even for a Speilberg kids blockbuster and a huge pay packet. I would expect it of Robin Williams who is perfectly suited to terrible films like this.
March 26, 2016
Good film, Dustin Hoffman steals the show with a great performance, The film itself is Ok but a little silly and forced at times.
½ March 23, 2016
92%
Hook is a delightful and colorful film for all ages.

V: 53%
March 4, 2016
Hook is a fun and cool movie for kids, but as an adult, it is silly and pointless. Robin Williams is awesome, but there are scenes that make no sense.
March 3, 2016
Best Peter Pan film ever
½ February 21, 2016
A seminal movie in my childhood. I make no apologies.
February 18, 2016
Truly magical, dark, witty, great score, great sets, it has everything. Also it's pacing is excellent. 2 hours and 16 minutes that zipped by. People whom don't like this movie aren't worth being around, they are broken.
February 14, 2016
Despite a heart-warming performance by Robin Williams and Dustin Hoffman's notable performance of Captain Hook, Spielberg's adaptation of Peter Pan falls short of being as magical and lively as Disney's animated version.
February 9, 2016
Absolutely wonderful, timeless movie! :)
February 6, 2016
Spielberg's worst movie.
February 5, 2016
One of those movies that gets worse the older you get and the more mature your tastes in film become.
January 29, 2016
robin williams at his best
½ January 27, 2016
In 1991, it was known that Steven Spielberg was going to direct a Peter Pan adaptation and, at a time when Spielberg was the hottest MC-I mean, director-in the game, audiences must have been asking: what could possibly go wrong? It's Steven flippin' Spielberg! This was the guy who gave us "E.T and "Indiana Jones;" Spielberg on fantasy mode was going to out of this world. And then the movie came out and the reaction was really mixed with some calling it Spielberg's worst film, but the question is, is it really his worst?
Robin Williams stars as Peter Pan and while he does bring some energy to the role, he's not really given a whole lot to do as far as fleshing out his character goes. Same with Dustin Hoffman as Captain James Hook, who you can tell really had fun shooting some of his scenes, although, his character is too silly to be taken seriously. None of the characters really do anything to make you care about the film. And to keep things simple, the script is truly the film's most detrimental aspect of the production. It's hard to become emotionally invested in a film about Peter Pan having grown up and then having to rescue his kids when...his kids aren't in any real danger. They just get taken and, umm, yeah, then Peter takes them back. Movie's over.
The stakes are never high. There's no 'meaty' conflict in "Hook" that makes you want to cheer for Pan, it kind of has the effect of 'hurry up and get this over with.' The ideas are there, but I think what held a lot back was Spielberg's tendencies to keep things family-oriented and reluctance to do anything dark [which I can understand since "The Temple of Doom" was criticized for that]. It would have been interesting not only IF Peter was a neglectful father but IF, also, his kids were spoiled as hell [that way, when James Hook decides to replace Peter as their father, they can undergo a bit character development]. Take the film's ending, what do we learn about Peter after all this Neverland stuff? He throws his cell phone out the window and hugs his kids, hey buddy, you probably just got fired for ditching that call and now you're going to be broke and on the streets. You didn't save your family. You literally just lost them. Enjoy the hug because you sure will never be able to do that again.
I'm giving the film 3.5 out of 5 stars anyways. Even though Spielberg has since said that he didn't like "Hook" and were he to do it again that he wouldn't use live sets (all CGI, he said) or so I read. Personally, I like the overall look (all the sets they constructed and stuff) but even if he had used all CGI [with Spielberg behind the camera, who cares? It's still going to be shot in a way that's vastly superior than, say, "Pan"], the script would have been a major flaw. If anything, the CGI might have helped the sword fighting, which truly is lackluster here [just to be clear, the Lost Boys v. Pirates battle was fun but it could have been more...intense, sort of. More action-y? I don't know, I just think it's missing something].
The high point of "Hook" for me [and it's something that is HIGHLY respected] is John Williams' score. It is a textbook example of a not-so-good film having quality film music, and in many scenes, it's John Williams who provides, if not elevates, the muscle (and the emotion) for the picture. Peter Pan soaring through the sky wouldn't have the impact that it did without that score, I can tell you that. "The Ultimate War" (as in the track) is one of the most impressive action cues I've ever heard.
I really like the scene where (it's after Hook has stolen Pan's kids) and Peter and the others are entering their house, they see the mark that Hook has left along the walls, and it is just so well done. It could almost pass for a horror film with those harrowing strings, talk about creating suspense, and it's one of those things that really make me think, 'man, what if Spielberg had done THAT for more scenes?' Another moment I think was great was when the Lost Boys meet Peter Pan (who, in that moment, doesn't know he's Peter Pan) and that one kid feels his face [I know that sounds weird out of context, shut up] and says, 'oh, there you are, Peter,' and that emotional choral track is heard. Again, the score is the saving grace of the film. The 'Food Fight' scene, still, amazes me with how magical those few seconds feel when Peter looks at his spoon. Magic, it's just a shame that "Hook" doesn't have too many of those feels.
This is the first Peter Pan adaptation I've ever seen. Wait, I'm not even sure if that's true. I know I watched Disney's animated one on VHS once. Anyways, since "Hook," we've gotten "Peter Pan," "Finding Neverland," the critically panned and financial bomb "Pan," and "Peter and Wendy" (it's a TV show, I've never seen it). There's bound to be another Peter Pan adaptation through some medium in a few years and I'm wondering how many of those are going to fail to top "Hook" film quality-wise. That's a pretty sad, honestly, because "Hook" isn't even all that.
Robin Williams' passing might sway a few people's opinions about "Hook" to the favorable side, for me, not so much (although, I think I'm on the favorable side just for 'technical' reasons), I think I preferred him in stuff like "Mrs. Doubfire," "Jumanji," and maybe even "Flubber" more. But I will say this, since I watched it for the first time last year, "Good Will Hunting," that is Robin Williams' arguably most impressive performance, well, if I don't count "Aladdin" because, oh damn it, I already said "Aladdin."
"Hey, you ain' never had a friend like me!!!!"
In short: I only did this review so I wouldn't have to do my essay. And no, I'm not joking. "Hook" is O-kay if you're not expecting much. It's a kid's film, can't be too harsh on a kid's film even though it is so underwhelming compared to Spielberg's previous stuff (and many of his later works).
January 16, 2016
Hook is an imaginative, wondrous, thoughtful, and often hilarious twist on the classic tale of Peter Pan.
January 8, 2016
I really enjoyed this movie from start to finish. It was a bit long but otherwise great!
½ January 5, 2016
Sure it's a sappy in a handful of areas, but it's a ton of fun in far more. - A big, ambitious movie with some really good casting and has found a place in my list of faves.