Hope Floats - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Hope Floats Reviews

October 28, 2017
Grab the tissues, a heartwarming tear jerker. Harry CHARMING Connick Jr. delivers the heart and soul of the movie.
½ September 13, 2017
Very slow and dull movie.
August 3, 2017
I learned a lot from this movie. I've heard people talk about divorce but I've never actually seen what it could potential could look like in real life. You see kids deciding which parent to choose, bullying, an affair, and opening up to someone new after a divorce. I really enjoyed it. Plus Sandra Bullock and Harry Connick Junior were amazing. Love the acting. I'd equate this to a slower version of sweet home Alabama.
July 16, 2017
Stitched together cliches and non-sequiters in a bed of lush 90's Dave Grusin corn.
½ February 19, 2017
Sandra Bullock stars in Forest Whitaker's Hope Floats. Bullock is Birdee Pruitt, a woman that goes through a terrible moment. She finds out on a talk show that her husband has been cheating on her with her best friend. Devastated by this, she decides to pack up her things and head back to her hometown of Smithfield Texas to live with her mother.

Unmotivated and crushed, she's not able to even be able to get herself out of bed in the morning. She gets encouragement from her mother, and she tries to pick up the pieces of her life. This isn't easy as even applying for a job, she does not have much skills and she was not kind to the girl in high school who runs the job postings office. She has a man that she has a history with Justin (Harry Connick Jr.) that is interested in her, but she does not feel the timing is right for a relationship. Her daughter too misses her father and lashes out at her mother and frequently blames her for her current situation. Birdee must weather the storm and find herself.

Hope Floats is an interesting romantic movie that although has some typical Hollywood elements, it for the most part breaks from the happy go lucky romantic movie. This is not a movie where everything works out perfectly and everyone is happy. After a crushing blow, Bullock's character does not simply instantly find love at first sight and move back with her life in a simple step. Instead the film does a great job pacing the comeback as a struggle. She does not instantly find the job of her dreams and instantly find herself right back at home. She instead is constantly looking to keep her head above water and simply float. With her dad having Alzheimer's and her mom keeping her on her toes, it is not like she has easy pillars to lean on for recovery. The recovery is also not gradual and easy, it has many ups and downs and is quite a rollercoaster. Hope Floats was a surprisingly real and honest movie that could depict many people's lives as they go through life's setbacks. The film has the impression of being a breezy and light romantic comedy, and this is far from the truth which may unsettle many, but for me I thought this was a fresh romantic film fueled by a good performance by Bullock.

-2.19.2017
½ February 1, 2017
It's good movie to watch
January 6, 2017
Some scenes were beautiful and touching. I love the ending.
November 25, 2016
Very slow and boring.
½ October 21, 2016
Why slow motion though?
½ October 21, 2016
By far the WORST movie ever. It's horror romance, complete with mysogeny, taxidermy, bullying, crap dialogue and nonsensical plot line. Romantic lead (singers should stop acting in movies): "you look aweful go get dressed", "don't talk to me on our fishing date", let me order you to sit next to me, let me try to get in your pants at the creepy drive through, but I refuse to share anything with you about "California". Leading lady: my daughter just got violently bullied, but I'm going to sing to her dressed as a black-tooth clown.
Murderously angry. This movie is an insult to everything decent. Who wrote this nightmare?
October 12, 2016
Hope Floats starts with Birdee (Sandra Bullock) appearing on a live talk show together with her best friend and her husband where her best friend confess that she is having an affair with Birdee's husband Bill. shattered by the situation, Birdee takes her daughter Bernice (Mae Whitman) and moves back to her hometown Smithville, to live with her mother Ramona (Gena Rowlands) where she can start a new life. Birdee finds out that the situation is more difficult than what she was thinking. She tries to find a job and strengthen the bond with her mother and daughter. She also meets her old friend Justin Matisse (Harry Connick) and they fall in love with each other.

The movie has a simple story, concentrating more on relationships but has many flaws.

The Good Stuff:
- Gena Rowlands: Her part and character was the best as the lovable mother. She gave a nice performance while the same cannot be said about the rest.
- Music: The music was cool. there were some good country tracks going on.

The Neutral Stuff:
- Sandra Bullock: I love Sandra, but I think here she was just OK not the Bullock we know who is full of energy but again not a bad performance either.

The Bad Stuff:
- Cinematography: I did not like the way this movie was shot. It did not appeal to me at all. A romantic family drama film should have a brighter cinematography. More vivid.
- Direction: The development of characters was weak. The film starts with Bullock getting a shock. even though you get to know how she used to be before the incident from the dialogue but again this was not enough to make you feel sorry for her. The direction was not good. You can feel it because it felt like there were so many missing things between the scenes.

Some Interesting Facts:
- This movie has generated over $81M of revenues at the box office.

Avoid it unless you are a die hard Sandra Bullock fan.

Final Verdict: To be Avoided

The Ratings:

-Entertainment: 30%
-Performances: 60%
-Direction: 40%
-Cinematography/Special effects: 30%
-Background Music: 60%
-Duration: 40%

Overall: 43% ====> 40%
½ May 28, 2016
If you're looking for a rom com then please look elsewhere (I suggest Sweet Home Alabama). This is not a romantic movie in my opinion. It tries to be a romantic film but completely lacks chemistry between the two love interests (Bullock & Connick). This film is more so a serious drama about a family torn apart by a cheating husband and how the mother and daughter have to pick up the pieces of their broken life while the mother literally tries to discover her identity.

This movie tries to be many things but most of which is bland and confusing. The tonal shifts are jarring and the plot line is lackluster. Bullock does a decent job acting but at times it feels forced. Harry Connick Jr. is simply dreadful. His acting is wooden and honestly he comes across completely full of himself at times. He's just this slow talkin good'ol country boy that can make a girl laugh and feel good no matter what ridiculous line he drawls out. Mae Whitman, honestly, steals the show with her performance. Also, beware there are some heart wrenching moments that really make you feel terrible and just want to shut the movie off (the opening scene for instance). I highly recommend giving this film a pass. If you want to see Bullock in a romantic comedy then give the far superior "While You Were Sleeping" a watch.
½ March 15, 2016
Sandra Bullock is one of my favourite actresses of today. I enjoyed this film and Gena Rowlands was wonderful as her mother. Harry Conick Jr, as the love interest, fills a pair of jeans rather well though his acting's nothing to write home about. It's a very sentimental story and doesn't really go anywhere, the kind of film that is out of fashion now. But it's touching, thoughtful and the female leads (directed by Forest Whitaker) are worth anyone's time. Just a simple story about love and loss but heartfelt and nicely observed.
November 18, 2015
For me personally, Hope Floats is not all that bad.... but it is not too good, either. Well, just okay.
August 3, 2015
I love this movie!!!!
July 27, 2015
Soppy, sentimental and a predictable tear-jerker - just right for a Monday night viewing!! LOL
½ June 25, 2015
Just like every mush film certainly not original but again puts a warm glow in you to set you off to bed lol
½ May 15, 2015
Sugary sweet soap opera.
May 14, 2015
Sorry. This turd don't float.
½ April 29, 2015
"Hope Floats." And so do logs of sh*t.