Hope Floats - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Hope Floats Reviews

January 6, 2017
Some scenes were beautiful and touching. I love the ending.
November 25, 2016
Very slow and boring.
½ October 21, 2016
Why slow motion though?
½ October 21, 2016
By far the WORST movie ever. It's horror romance, complete with mysogeny, taxidermy, bullying, crap dialogue and nonsensical plot line. Romantic lead (singers should stop acting in movies): "you look aweful go get dressed", "don't talk to me on our fishing date", let me order you to sit next to me, let me try to get in your pants at the creepy drive through, but I refuse to share anything with you about "California". Leading lady: my daughter just got violently bullied, but I'm going to sing to her dressed as a black-tooth clown.
Murderously angry. This movie is an insult to everything decent. Who wrote this nightmare?
October 12, 2016
Hope Floats starts with Birdee (Sandra Bullock) appearing on a live talk show together with her best friend and her husband where her best friend confess that she is having an affair with Birdee's husband Bill. shattered by the situation, Birdee takes her daughter Bernice (Mae Whitman) and moves back to her hometown Smithville, to live with her mother Ramona (Gena Rowlands) where she can start a new life. Birdee finds out that the situation is more difficult than what she was thinking. She tries to find a job and strengthen the bond with her mother and daughter. She also meets her old friend Justin Matisse (Harry Connick) and they fall in love with each other.

The movie has a simple story, concentrating more on relationships but has many flaws.

The Good Stuff:
- Gena Rowlands: Her part and character was the best as the lovable mother. She gave a nice performance while the same cannot be said about the rest.
- Music: The music was cool. there were some good country tracks going on.

The Neutral Stuff:
- Sandra Bullock: I love Sandra, but I think here she was just OK not the Bullock we know who is full of energy but again not a bad performance either.

The Bad Stuff:
- Cinematography: I did not like the way this movie was shot. It did not appeal to me at all. A romantic family drama film should have a brighter cinematography. More vivid.
- Direction: The development of characters was weak. The film starts with Bullock getting a shock. even though you get to know how she used to be before the incident from the dialogue but again this was not enough to make you feel sorry for her. The direction was not good. You can feel it because it felt like there were so many missing things between the scenes.

Some Interesting Facts:
- This movie has generated over $81M of revenues at the box office.

Avoid it unless you are a die hard Sandra Bullock fan.

Final Verdict: To be Avoided

The Ratings:

-Entertainment: 30%
-Performances: 60%
-Direction: 40%
-Cinematography/Special effects: 30%
-Background Music: 60%
-Duration: 40%

Overall: 43% ====> 40%
½ May 28, 2016
If you're looking for a rom com then please look elsewhere (I suggest Sweet Home Alabama). This is not a romantic movie in my opinion. It tries to be a romantic film but completely lacks chemistry between the two love interests (Bullock & Connick). This film is more so a serious drama about a family torn apart by a cheating husband and how the mother and daughter have to pick up the pieces of their broken life while the mother literally tries to discover her identity.

This movie tries to be many things but most of which is bland and confusing. The tonal shifts are jarring and the plot line is lackluster. Bullock does a decent job acting but at times it feels forced. Harry Connick Jr. is simply dreadful. His acting is wooden and honestly he comes across completely full of himself at times. He's just this slow talkin good'ol country boy that can make a girl laugh and feel good no matter what ridiculous line he drawls out. Mae Whitman, honestly, steals the show with her performance. Also, beware there are some heart wrenching moments that really make you feel terrible and just want to shut the movie off (the opening scene for instance). I highly recommend giving this film a pass. If you want to see Bullock in a romantic comedy then give the far superior "While You Were Sleeping" a watch.
½ March 15, 2016
Sandra Bullock is one of my favourite actresses of today. I enjoyed this film and Gena Rowlands was wonderful as her mother. Harry Conick Jr, as the love interest, fills a pair of jeans rather well though his acting's nothing to write home about. It's a very sentimental story and doesn't really go anywhere, the kind of film that is out of fashion now. But it's touching, thoughtful and the female leads (directed by Forest Whitaker) are worth anyone's time. Just a simple story about love and loss but heartfelt and nicely observed.
November 18, 2015
For me personally, Hope Floats is not all that bad.... but it is not too good, either. Well, just okay.
August 3, 2015
I love this movie!!!!
July 27, 2015
Soppy, sentimental and a predictable tear-jerker - just right for a Monday night viewing!! LOL
½ June 25, 2015
Just like every mush film certainly not original but again puts a warm glow in you to set you off to bed lol
½ May 15, 2015
Sugary sweet soap opera.
May 14, 2015
Sorry. This turd don't float.
½ April 29, 2015
"Hope Floats." And so do logs of sh*t.
½ December 23, 2014
This is one of those guilty pleasure type movies I find myself watching just about every time I catch it on TV. Its not perfect, a total chick flick but also completely addictive and pretty great. Sandra Bullock plays Birdee Calvert, a Chicago wife who returns home to her small Texas hometown after her husband reveals on a talk show that he's (been) having an affair with her best friend.

Bullock is as always likeable and I enjoyed watching her (get drunk) trying to put her life back together again with the help of her eccentric taxidermy loving mother (Gena Rowlands) and a yummy (in an awkward sort of way) Harry Connick Jr. All the performances seem authentic and this doesn't really fall into romantic comedy genre (which may be why I like it). It's more of a family drama complete with all the tears laughter and love that incorporates. The small town atmosphere also really adds to this as her old classmates revel in seeing a former beauty queen taken down a notch.

The one standout performance here would have to go to the little girl playing her daughter Bernice, she is just fantastic. That scene towards the end when she runs after her dad crying "you want me" "take me with you" just kills me. Well that and Connick leaning up against his pick-up with a handful of flowers and 'those' Levis'. 12/7/14
September 28, 2014
Best use of a Bryan Adams song ever - worth watching for the final five minutes! Otherwise the funny parts are pretty funny, that sad parts are relatively sad, and it's a decent movie overall. One of the BEST endings ever :)
July 8, 2014
I was excited to see this movie, but I felt like it lacked romance.
July 1, 2014
The best part of this movie was probably Mae Whitman, I never realised what an amazing actress she was when she was so young.
This was all in all a feel-good movie to watch on a Friday evening when you just want to take it easy in front of the tv. It will be worth your while but there's not a lot to say about it afterwards. Some scenes could feel a bit cheesy but all the actors managed to do a great job.
June 28, 2014
Great love story about letting go of the past and enjoying the present.
½ June 18, 2014
Sandra Bullock is always great on screen. Regardless of the role, she has a very likable charm. But the film is dull, generic, and just overall predictable.