Hope Springs - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Hope Springs Reviews

½ April 1, 2015
I made the mistake of seeing this with my mom but I ended up liking this movie despite that. It gave me a outlook on what marriage can be like and what I might go thru someday in my marriage. Had to see this because of Meryl and I loved it.
February 27, 2015
Gud film luv Meryl Streep being watchin her films since i was lil girl Tommy Lee Jones is not bad either, just show u wat really can happen in marriage or long relationships if one is willing too make it last & not get stuck in a rut!..
February 15, 2015
A sweet little comedy with great performances from Streep and Jones. Carell also does a good job
½ February 4, 2015
HOPE SPRINGS is slow, predictable and almost close to being shallow, but the genuine performances of Meryl Streep, Tommy Lee Jones and Steve Carell and a simple focus on the relationship of older couples may be off-putting for some young viewers but graceful for others.
February 2, 2015
Even though I love Meryl Streep, the movie was nothing special to me...
January 10, 2015
Lovely film that is summed up rather well by its title - I felt more optimistic about life & relationships after watching it. I also think it makes an excellent point about the "throwaway" attitude to relationships in modern culture. Message: marriage takes work, but what type of work has to be continuously re-learned. Very real, funny & sentimental in all the right places
½ December 31, 2014
The storyline is nice enough, but it's the interplay between Meryl Streep and Tommy Lee Jones that make this movie watchable. You expect Steve Carrell to be more outrageous than he actually is in his role as therapist.
December 29, 2014
Great performances from Streep, Jones and Carell add to this wonderfully bittersweet comedy about a middle-aged couple trying to rekindle their marriage. Often funny, sometimes biting but with its heart firmly in the right place this is a great example of how a romantic comedy can be if made with intelligence; keeping the subject matter firmly at its core.
½ December 19, 2014
A good recommended old timers dramedy, starring two Academy Awards winners and nominees in a good chemistry that consists good performances alongside some comedy for old marriages. (B)

(Full review coming soon)
½ December 15, 2014
A quite good movie with real-life characters and very good acting. Many emotions that are deep-rooted in a failing marriage (or at best one that's only "comfortable") are exposed and ameliorated, leading to a stumbling return to a personally and mutually rewarding future together.
½ December 13, 2014
Heartwarming tale of old people sexytime
½ December 6, 2014
Meryl Streep and Tommy Lee Jones star as a couple at a crossroads. Stuck in the same daily routine, Meryl decides that her marriage needs saving so she seeks out therapist Steve Carell.

This is a great movie for people looking to spice up their marriage after 20+ years. It examines the relationship for the long haul and shows that life can be challenging even when life is mundane.

Streep and Jones are both quite excellent. Streep plays her character as mousy and reserved but know she wants more. Jones is your typical curmudgeon until he sees what life would be like without her. Jones as a romantic leading man must have been challenging for the actor and it was nice to see. 3.5 out of 5 So Says the Soothsayer.
November 28, 2014
This movie is mostly about how much depth does Tommy Lee Jones have as an actor. I suppose he is pretty vulnerable in this role but I prefer him going after fugitives or aliens. Meryl Streep never gets it wrong but here she is girlish and determined and her character seems to have come of age in the 1950s. Steve Carell plays the therapist. There are no laughs in this.
½ November 24, 2014
We all know that Meryl Streep is a legend. Love this woman!!!
½ November 15, 2014
Not horrible, but not good either. Very well acted, but poorly paced and kind of dull, it's essentially Streep and Jones talking about their naughty bits for a 90-minute movie that feels much longer.
½ October 24, 2014
Pretty good for a drama.
½ October 10, 2014
Well written and acted film, best appreciated by mature aged audiences.
½ October 9, 2014
It's refreshing when I see movies as well-written, acted and touching as "Hope Springs." While the story has a bit of a Hollywood ending, any evidence of Hollywood cheese is removed from the perfect casting. Meryl Streep, Tommy Lee Jones and Steve Carell add a level of authenticity to the emotions of these characters that make this film nearly perfect. The acting is about as good as it gets. As an old married guy myself, I couldn't help but smile even through the ending credits as this sweet story came to a close.
September 30, 2014
It is too slow for its own good, but the charming performances of Streep and Jones are enough to hold the picture, and the situations allow some honest laughs with flushed cheeks.
½ September 19, 2014
A romantic comedy this certainly was not. Most of the movie was actually dully and achingly depressing. Thankfully there were enough redeeming moments to take away that feeling of utter hopelessness. Some well-placed cameos by Elisabeth Shue and Mimi Rogers helped as well.