Hornblower: The Examination for Lieutenant (Horatio Hornblower: The Fire Ship) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Hornblower: The Examination for Lieutenant (Horatio Hornblower: The Fire Ship) Reviews

August 29, 2016
I have only seen the first four, but this one is the best of the first four.
½ July 31, 2012
good, but not great. A bit slow and with a weak plot.
June 6, 2011
lives up to the first one
September 9, 2010
Another top-notch offering! Horatio is now trying to pass his exams to become a lieutenant...not an easy proposition! See what happens when he faces three surly captains on the examination board, and fire ships as well!
August 8, 2010
Our hero learns about the responsibilities of command from life aboard ship. Having to deal with a hungry surly crew and study for his promotion exam puts him under pressure. Another great movie in this excellent series.
½ May 24, 2010
It had Denis Lawson! Wedge! And he didn't leave the fighting immediately this time. Go Wedge!

I like Hornblower when he's nervous. Hee.
½ April 18, 2010
A great adventure in this series based on the amazing books.
½ August 13, 2009
another interesting hornblower film, this time horatio is going through his testing for lieutenant, but not before try to solve a supply shortage, and as a result of this, trying to keep his crew together during an outbreak of the black plague. interesting stuff as usual
½ August 11, 2009
Awesome series of films.
April 3, 2009
So much fun! (viewed 18 March 2009)
January 23, 2009
The second in the series, shows much more of Hornblower's abilities and ambitions. Clearly he is maturing and with a loyal following, he is able to accomplish the impossible
October 6, 2008
All of the A&E Hornblower adaptations are excellent. They aren't 100% identical to the books, but they capture the spirit quite well, and the production quality is high. The actors are also brilliant, and portray favorite characters quite well.
½ August 27, 2008
Back in the saddle, making waves, and being a hero.

Nice to see that heroes really can be admired without having to be anti-heroes.
August 25, 2008
Another great episode. It , along with every other film, makes one wish the there had been more novels written. Gruffudd makes Hornblower into a magnificent hero.
August 21, 2008
I love the Hornblower movies - Ioan Gruffudd is great and details are accurate with plenty of intrigue and action.
July 25, 2008
okay so I like Ioan Gruffad...he's welsh... that's cool
June 5, 2008
Love it... it's as simple as that
½ May 29, 2008
Meh. Not my favorite, but the whole series is good so watch it
May 11, 2008
Top notch stuff this!!!
½ May 1, 2008
Aww, it's the one with the actor who played my favorite rebel in Star Wars...anyways. This was the first Hornblower I saw, watched 4 times in one week. Yup love it.