Horror Noire: A History of Black Horror Reviews

• Oct 07, 2020

A excellent! Documentary on the history of black films Horror Noire: A History of Black Horror gives a rather different look on way we see black people in horror films.

• Oct 02, 2020

A FASCINATING look into the history of black representation in horror films, from Night of Living Dead to Get Out- You see the cultural evolution in the progression of characters throughout the decades. Even past the history lesson, a BLAST to watch!

• Jun 06, 2020

A really comprehensive look at the history of black people in and around horror films. And a reminder of several films I love and several more I never got around to watching ... which I will now.

• May 20, 2020

Solid doc right here with a podcast to keep it goin'.

Solid doc right here with a podcast to keep it goin'.

• Mar 03, 2020

After decades of Hollywood abusing black people's images in horror movies and, therefore, legitimizing the real life horrors that still happen in this community, it's absolutely necessary to understand the roots of that, the development of the genre itself and the possibilities of horror films not only from a black perspective but in general, specially after 'Get Out'. Both the documentary and the book are necessary for any cinephile.

• Feb 26, 2020

Very very informative thanks shudder .

Very very informative thanks shudder .

• Feb 03, 2020

Poderoso e interesantisimo documental de cine centrado en el viaje del hombre y mujer afroamericanos en el cine de genero. No solo aprenderas bastante sobre subgeneros como la blaxploitation, sino que descubriras muchas peliculas y pasaras un rato entretenido. Casi tan genial como Machete Maidens Unleashed.

• Jan 18, 2020

this was really interesting; i recommend it if you're into documentaries, film making/history, or just horror movies in general.

• Dec 16, 2019

It's an incredible documentary, an absolute must see. It's got loads of fantastic people from the horror industry exploring the history of black representation in cinema. There's no way to do it justice in a review, I'd give it all the stars in the universe as a rating if I could. It's fascinating and eye-opening, seriously just watch it, and read the book too, the book goes more in-depth but the doc has its incredible range of talent sharing their experiences as a viewer and as part of the history, it's got Tony Todd, Jordan Peele, Keith David and so so so many more, the doc also discusses the films that released after the book which when reading it, I was constantly wondering what Robin Coleman thought of recent films like Get Out.

• Feb 11, 2019

I just watched #Horrornoire on Shudder.com, i really like this documentary because they showed the history of the negative sterotypes of black people and the positive impacts of their times. the 60's night of the living dead, 70s blacula, 80s nightmare on elm street, 90s the craft, candyman, tales from the hood, demonknight, etc, 2000s mentioning sanaa lathan avp was cool, 2010's get out the impact that movie had on the black community the documentary showed the relief of how black people felt from all the years of typical cliche in horror movies. So, if anyone is interested in black horror films, i suggest you this it is really good, makes want to write movies again, and educated on horror movies i never heard of and black directors too.