The Hospital - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Hospital Reviews

½ November 14, 2015
This freaky hospital is as mad as hell and even George C. Scott can't take it anymore.
½ September 28, 2015
Paddy Chayefsky's third Oscar winning script has solid performances and is a razor sharp satire. A hospital Chief of Staff feels suicidal (a common theme in Chayefsky movies I notice), when his wife kicks him out and his hospital is a chaotic mess. Someone's stealing hospital microscopes, there's protesters trying to quell a drug rehab centre being built, and doctors are dying left and right. Sometimes the dialogue is a bit too stagey and play-like (Paddy was a playwright), but this sometimes absurd drama/comedy is well done when it comes to theme.
½ June 11, 2015
I didn't really like this movie all that much. It was interesting until about halfway through, with good performances, but then lost it's grip somewhere around the part the main character meets his "love interest", if you can even call it that. The last twenty minutes were downright ridiculous and unsatisfying, and the psychotic killer pretty much gets away with murder. How did the critics give this such high unanimous ratings? The acting, I suppose.
½ May 22, 2015
The Hospital is easily one of the most confused scripts I've ever seen captured on film. It's a harsh drama about the struggles of doctors and nurses in the medical field, but then it's also a satire about the sorry state of health care at the time, but then it's also a wacky Scooby-Doo style of murder mystery, but then it's also a whirlwind romance. 103 minutes isn't enough time to make 4 different movies, so Paddy Chayefsky probably should have just chosen one (or at most 2.) It is loaded with rambling speeches that try to justify the philosophy they are espousing. It's dark and dreary, which could work when they are aiming so directly at making a point, but the story undermines the strength of the message. It would work so much better if there was no killer who orchestrated the deaths. If it continued to be all about the negligence and sloppy practices of the hospital staff, then that would bolster the theme of the film. Instead we get a psychotic, rambling lunatic who is arranging for the hospital to finish his victims off. That whole ending completely ruins any good will the film had earned up to that point.

George C. Scott is certainly engaging as the lead in The Hospital. The problem is that he is a bit too brazen and over-the-top to be sympathetic. I never really got on his side in this movie, so I wasn't invested in what happened to him. Diana Rigg, on the other hand, could be reading out of a phone book and I would be entranced. She has such a charm to her, that every line seems to have depth and meaning. I find myself wanting to slap Dr. Bock for even contemplating the option of not going with her. There are several other good character actors in this film, but most of them get small parts that only pop up for a few scenes. There are moments where I started to think The Hospital was going to be a great film. Some of the speeches were quite interesting and filled with undeniable truth. If they had made a movie to back up the words it would have been impacting and maybe forced me to contemplate the flaws in medical practices. Of course, the other problem is that, within the last 40 years a lot of things have changed in the way that medical facilities deal with these issues. That's not to say that there aren't still problems, but they are different from the problems that we see in The Hospital. So that also makes the satire a bit dated. As a result there was very little I enjoyed about this film. It certainly tried hard to win me over, but I would not recommend others seek it out.
February 28, 2015
This has the feel of a 70's TV drama. The story about staff being murdered one-by-one is merely a backdrop as the study of the character played by George C. Scott is clearly the central point. A bit boring to be honest.
½ November 3, 2014
Great and well written dark comedy and satire on the state of the medical field which is still reverent today. Great script by P Chayefsky (who deserved his oscar,) killer performances from George C. Scott and Dianna Rigg (the sexiest she ever was I might add,) this is all around a odd yet fun flick.
April 26, 2014
Slick, subversive and with a darkly comic bite, Chayefsky and Hiller create a unique medical film that satirizes the absurdity of American healthcare. Scott is flawless as a disillusioned doctor, set against a backdrop of wacky patients, cold doctors who end up on their operating tables, and a sultry Diana Rigg.
½ January 21, 2014
Another great work by Paddy Chayevsky (see '' Network,' and '' Altered states'') dont be fooled by the 1rst 30 minutes; it looks like angry slpstich societal farce, but it adds up to more, its made of sensititvity toward the powerless dssatisfaction of a word facing a demographically impossible situation, and the necessary but opposed rising of voices of all concerned. it could have come out as cynical, but instead, through humour, reveals another face of realism. The change of pace seems harsh but perfectly fits the varied and contiguous contexts.
October 17, 2013
A good film about an urban hospital environment featuring an outstanding performance by George C. Scott. I think there is many a hospital television show that received its inspiration from this bold original.
October 12, 2013
Mildly amusing black comedy with flashes of brilliance but definitely not up to the standards of some of Paddy Chayefsky's other screenplays such as "Network" or "Marty".
August 7, 2013
Dark comedy about plight of urban hospital, with a killer on the loose and gross incompetence among the hospital staff. If you like dark comedies, may be worth your while. George C. Scott is excellent.
April 27, 2013
For sure some dark humor and it worked. George C Scott was excellent in this role and I did enjoy seeing little bit parts of actors who would become famous in later years (Stockard Channing spoke maybe 5-6 words and there was Mrs Christie who would go on to become Tony Soprano's mom). The Hospital is chaotic with everyone spiralling down into some farcical place and there's Paddy Chayefsky's fingerprints everywhere.
½ April 20, 2013
Despite the somewhat unfocused plot and direction, the general themes and dialogue are wonderful. Obviously, Scott & Rigg are fantastic, and I always like seeing Richard Dysart. It is essentially the healthcare version of 'NETWORK' (same writer, after all).
½ March 4, 2013
Hilarious farce, made even funnier by the fact that it is often a product of its time.
February 23, 2013
Dark, funny look at a city hospital that is deteriorating at the same pace as the city around it. Its core of decency is head surgeon George C. Scott, who is trying to overcome his personal problems, his hopeless institution, and a serial killer who is killing medical professionals by exploiting the hospital's incredible inefficiencies. What could possibly turn him away from the suicide he's contemplating? How about Diana Rigg in a miniskirt?
½ December 3, 2012
This black comedy follows Dr. Bock, played by the fantastic George C. Scott, as his life is falling apart and the hospital he works for is having several crazy incidents occur, including doctors being killed. It is a good film, I wouldn't say it is incredible, and it certainly has it's weak spots, but I found it was mostly entertaining and well made with lots of social commentary as well.
November 12, 2012
In a hospital wracked with bureaucracy and poor patient care, a suicidal doctor struggles to find meaning in his work and life.
Part black comedy, which is drawn from the absurdity of reality, and part serious drama, The Hospital is one of the best films about the medical profession that I have ever seen. Incredible in its verisimilitude, Paddy Chayefsky's screenplay is smart, incisive, and passionately written. George C. Scott's performance is one of the best of his career, and his "freedom for the impotents" monologue is an enviable, engaging piece of acting.
At its core, The Hospital is about how even the most human of moments fails to satisfy a deep urge to connect with our own humanity. It's about the disappointments of life, how they wear on us, turning us into unrecognizable automatons. The characters reach for meaning, and disappointed, they reach again, harder and more desperate.
Overall, I love this film, and not only should it be required viewing in every medical school, its themes transcend a particular profession or historical moment.
October 24, 2012
I honestly couldn't even finish this film, the tone seemed confused on whether it'd be serious or satire. The dialogue was mediocre and sometimes frustrating. I found it hard to have any and all focus in the film, and I think the director had the same problem.
June 10, 2012
Patients check in, but they don't check out--Great character drama and black comedy!!