Hostile Border (Pocha: Manifest Destiny) Reviews

• Nov 08, 2019

Not the finest of late-night curious flicks. I understand that Hostile Border was low budget, but I have seen more professionally handles indie films. This film from the onset just wasn't particularly engaging and did not give me a protagonist to exactly root for in the main character. Hostile Border just was not able to hold my attention. I started working on my computer while the film was playing halfway through. That is the equivalent of walking out of a theater wherever I roam.

• Apr 01, 2019

OMG this movie. It is totally not what I expected. The performances are amazing, and this movie is so freaking smart. It totally plays with feminist theory Gloria Anzaldua's whole idea of a THIRD SPACE - not here, not there - but an inbetween. The lead of this film is totally in that in between space, and whatsmore - she's an ANTIHERO. I'm so grateful to watch stories about women of color that are not about us being heroes or selfless people ....instead, women of color as FLAWED and PROBLEMATIC. Plus, this film is sexy as hell. I was super into it.

• Sep 29, 2018

Veronica Sixtos commands the screen... first time Director Michael Dwyer is one to watch...

• Sep 30, 2017

What a pile of trash.

What a pile of trash.

• Jul 31, 2017

Excellent movie surreal

Excellent movie surreal

• Jun 15, 2016

Nice to see a female lead in an action movie. Complex story and pulled off well. Really liked the actors especially Veronica Sixtos

• Jun 13, 2016

Rented Hostile Borders on Redbox. It is a very good action film with lots of on location shooting which always makes a film better. Great flamethrower scene.

• Jun 12, 2016

oes. This movie totally sucks, it is one of the worst things I've seen this year, the screenwriting sucks, the actors seem sleepy, their dramatic quality non-existent, the dialogs and movements sloppy, as sloppy is the evil they pretend to represent. The smuggler is such a sweet motherfucker that if you think of it, he couldn't even defend himself, much less pose a threat to others. The military is so ridiculously candid that Mexico could be a paradise if they'd really behaved like that, moreover: "Pocha", the term used to describe people of Mexican nationality that has been raised in USA and barely speak Spanish, sons of illegal immigrants, it is also used in the movie in its second inception which means a fruit that it is neither rotten not ripe, and I swear if you ask any modern Mexican nobody could define the word. I've never heard it referred it like the almost illiterate father of the Pocha uses it and my grandmother used to speak like Garcia Marquez, which means, with a plethora of ancient Spanish words now definitely lost to new Mexican generations. I heard her use the term pachucho or pachucha which is exactly the same as pocha or pocho, about a fruit that is either soft, withered or discolored or bad looking. Anyways, the movie is really bad, the actors' work is pretty "pocho" and the story dumb. My perception has nothing to do with the fact that the movie presents a topic I know so well, it has to do with its intrinsic artistic value which in my opinion is very poor. 1 star

• Jun 08, 2016

Really made us think about the mexico border issues. Immigration and deportation, feminism and materialism. Many therms and they were pulled off well.

• Jun 08, 2016

Good action movie. Caught between 2 cultures and 2 borders. The girl with the flame thrower is awesome. How would Trump or Hillary fix this????