Hostile Waters Reviews

• Jul 14, 2019

Good Sub film: better than average 6 out of 10

Good Sub film: better than average 6 out of 10

• Jul 21, 2012

Good Cold War submarine drama. Good plot (apparently based on a true story), reasonably edgy, and militarily accurate. However, maybe too predictable. In addition there is very little character development. Characters are pretty one-dimensional and stereotypical: the Americans are mostly gung ho and the Russians are cold bureaucrats. Solid performances from Rutger Hauer, Martin Sheen and Max van Sydow. Some of the supporting cast, particularly those playing American senior staff, are a bit hammy though.

• Jul 31, 2009

Looks bland and feels too. Tension, non-existing, sure it is based on true events. Rutger Hauer is convincing as a soviet sub-commander, as Will Smith would be as Norwegian viking. As american maybe, soviet, no. Martin Sheen and Max Von Sydow cash their checks, they gotta eat, you know. Useless tidbit: Look for Dominic Monaghan (Lord of the Rings, Lost) in very small role. He is boring too. Did I say that this was boring movie?

• Aug 31, 2008

One SCARY movie. Why Because its based on true facts.

One SCARY movie. Why Because its based on true facts.

• May 19, 2008

As I like most of the cast I had to see it. Well, it's ok.

As I like most of the cast I had to see it. Well, it's ok.

• Jan 11, 2004

I spent the evening flicking channels from Hostile Waters on History to People's Choice Awards. Just when Hostile Waters had a commercial I changed in time to see TTT win Best Drama Motion Picture and Billy Boyd accept the award. Very Providential indeed. Am excited. Really enjoyed Hostile Waters. Taped it. Dom's very cute in this movie in one of the last scenes when the crew walks out of the plane you see all these tall Russian men and then there's Dom. Short cute, wiry, young Dom. Very sweet. I have seen K219, and Hunt for Red October but this was still a really good movie about the same story. Very different than K219 with Harrison Ford. Martin Sheen and Colm Feor star with a mostly British cast. [b]Dom Movies Still Unseen:[/b] The Purifiers Shooting Livien Spivs An Insomniac's Nightmare [color=white]This Is Personal: The Hunt for the Yorkshire Ripper[/color] [color=white]Monsignor Renard[/color]