Hostiles Reviews

• Jan 13, 2021

It's 1892, in the last 20 long years the United States Calvary has been entrenched in vicious battles with angry and resentful natives including the Cheyenne, the Apache, and the Comanche tribes. Calvary Captain Joseph Blocker has been on the frontlines of this battle from the beginning and has a reputation of ruling these natives with an iron fist, but after years of hatred he gains clarity enough to drive him to having a change of heart on the whole situation. These tribes have been known to carry a sort of bloodlust towards settlers resulting in families and homesteads being robbed and whole families even young children being murdered in the most brutal fashion imaginable. One settler survived once such ordeal by the name of Rosalee Quaid saved by Blocker and a group of his most trusted me. Blockers final assignment before retirement is to transport the dying Cheyenne War chief, Yellow Hawk and his families tribal land. Blocker is forced to accent with the risk of court-marshaling if he was to no accept. Despite having a very dark and gory history with the chief resulting in the death of close friends on both sides, he agrees and he the group of his most trusted men set off on this journey, settler Rosalee Quaid after losing everything tags along driven by a sort of subconscious vengeance on her mind. This film is a slow burn that reaches a supreme throbbing intensity thats really hard to match.

• Dec 21, 2020

Brilliant performance from Christian Bale and Rosalyn Pike. Immensely emotion 1892 drama, with issues arising that fit directly into our time. Diversity, acceptance, self sacrifice, perseverance, being used for the job, Indians and patriots vs the American army. The movie is a little slow and lacklustre in places and the scenery overused to increase the time spent for each character on the emotional speeches and dialogue. Nevertheless this movie is a stunning reminder just how world class Bale is as an actor.

• Dec 06, 2020

This is a solid western with Christian Bale, Rosamund Pike, and Wes Studi. Set in 1892, the legendary Army captain (Christian Bale) reluctantly escorts a dying war chief and his family back to tribal lands. On their journey they encounter a young widow (Rosamund Pike), a widow, whose family was murdered on the plains by hostile Comanches. The Army captain, the widow, and war chiefs learn how to cooperate together to fight off the hostile Comanches, outlaws, and the punishing terrain. One of the best modern Westerns I've seen recently.

• Nov 02, 2020

I thought without going over the top they portrayed the realism of the time. I grew up watching Westerns and it wasn't until I became an adult that I realised the atrocities that the Americans done to the Natives. How they have never been held accountable is beyond me, it is the same what happened in Australia and it is as close to what the Nazis done as we can get. All within a couple hundred years and they still telling them where to live. For me Americans should be forced to watch this at school so they learn the truth. Top acting by all.

• Sep 20, 2020

This was a very powerful movie that highlights a mans internal struggle with right and wrong.

• Sep 16, 2020

É um bom road movie faroeste. Gostei, levar índios do ponto x ao y. Com mudanças no meio.

• Sep 14, 2020

The movie just never takes off. Christian Bale delivers what he can, but even he cannot hold this movie together. Rosamund Pike is badly miscast. The glitziest, prettiest, thinnest pioneer woman who ever lived on screen. They would not even soil her clothes or her face after "days" without bathing. The native american leads have 0 character development. They look like bystanders in their own movie. The dichotomy bad indians-good indians is ridicolous. I am not sure what the overall theme is supposed to be but it is a patronizing movie from somebody with an enormous white saviour complex. Skip it. If you are in the mood for a western any movie with Clint Eastwood would do.

• Aug 27, 2020

What can I say about this film ... this is the wild west that I have wanted to see, directed and acted superbly with a beautiful story about redemption ... I don't know what to say anymore, I'm speechless. One of the best films of the decade. Highly recommended.

• Aug 10, 2020

An old dude told a large audience of young dudes that, "Old soldiers never die, they just fade away." Here one older soldier due for retirement its ordered into his last mission. Along the way - and a long road it is - he and others in his cohort, also burdened by unsavory deeds and guilt, those which come to all who wear the uniform and perform their duty as sworn, one way or another find the most elusive of all things in life: redemption. This is a story about that, redemption. The road to redemption is not an easy one, it is long and painful, and pain find its light at the end of some tunnel. A beautiful story not less true to others that old soldiers never tell. because they just fade away.

• Aug 07, 2020

Hostiles is a disappointing film because despite it looking the part and having excellent acting, there's not much substance to the story. The acting, cinematography, visual effects, and soundtrack were all solid. Christian Bale as usual, did a brilliant job. Rosamund Pike put on a show as well. However, the story is following this group slowly plodding along on horseback with a few random events along the way. There's an ambush, they discover a women who lost her family, the women in the group get kidnapped, there's a criminal who escapes, and then a shootout at the end. A lot of it is predictable and some of it is ridiculous (more like Red Dead Redemption 2 than real life), but at least people actually died rather than the typical dodge all the bullets nonsense in these types of films. Things were a bit too slow, repetitive, and drawn out. Hostiles just felt rather lifeless, and I don't think the dark topic (loss of friends and family) helped. All in all, it was interesting at times, but a lot of modern westerns really lack purpose.