Hot Saturday - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Hot Saturday Reviews

November 30, 2014
not bad pre-code drama grant is at the peak of his handsomeness
½ October 17, 2012
2.5: Cary Grant sure is young. He isn't as magnetic as he was later on, but all the elements are there. One of the things that make this rather risqué include the scenes in which a sister pulls her teenage sisters "bloomers" off, then strips down to her own "knickers." It is rather innocent, but never would be shown under the code. The picture also includes infidelity, attempted rape, chastity, prejudice, and boatloads of evidence of a double standard for men v. women. The ending is rather unexpected (Cary Grant gets the girl) and includes pre-marital sex to boot.
June 25, 2012
glad I did not grow up in a small town, made me think of peyton place.
½ March 22, 2012
I pursued this for its educational value, as it is remembered now mostly as a scandalous little oddity from the infamous days before the Hays Code, but I ended up totally entertained and even moved by the sense of freedom and fun that this picture by William A. Seiter has. It's a teen sex comedy, portraying the lives of some working class kids at the end of the week. The lead, Nancy Carroll, is wonderful as Ruth Brock. She is strong, cute, spontaneous and really very funny, and I think she has charisma enough to match Claudette Colbert in this movie. Her actions, things that were eventually deemed inappropriate under the Code, are actually admirable and complex life decisions, and instead of buckling under the weight of social pressure she always follows what feels right, and damn the prying eyes. Her adult life is burst wide open thanks to a sly playboy named Romer Sheffield, played by a young Cary Grant. He lives in a large mansion on the other side of town and acts as a kind of siren for the teens of this small community, and particularly for Ruth. He doesn't explicitly offer sex, despite what the gossipers of the town think; the movie is too smart for that. Instead he offers an alternate lifestyle, one that has nothing to do with his riches. He shows Ruth how to follow what feels good. Though it was a part of the "immoral" wave of pictures that brought the Hays Code to fruition, this film has a lot of good things to say about freedom and a lot of smart things to say about the harm that rumors can cause. I loved it, and I found myself both entertained by its wild party scenes and absorbed by its brave human drama. It's a real American treasure of the 1930s.
June 28, 2011
superb early Grant piece, pre Hayes code and rich with adult humour. Sophisticated and great fun
November 27, 2010
This is an okay drama, but it's predictable, and I don't like the ending. Grant has a sort of small role too. I was disappointed with this movie, but it's not too horrible.
November 22, 2010
That was a pretty scandalous ending! Not at all what I expected.