Hot Fuzz - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Hot Fuzz Reviews

½ May 31, 2017
'HOT FUZZ' was directed by Edgar Wright and stars Simon Pegg, Nick Frost and Jim Broadbent. ?A British constable (Simon Pegg) feels certain foul play is afoot when a series of grisly accidents rocks his quiet village.

Hot Fuzz is a god damn hilarious parody. If you hate parodies, you'll despise this movie. It beats off every cliché like the holy ghost. It couldn't be any less serious if Simon Pegg and Nick Frost were dressed as Mickey Mouse and Donald Duck while riding a rainbow pony on Mars while simultaneously being chased by both the cast(not characters) of Star Trek, Star Wars, Lord of the Rings and Coronation Street. It's a completely bonkers movie that owes all of its praise to Edgar Wright's stellar direction, the incredible writing(courtesy of Wright and Pegg) and a series of brilliant performances that elevate this movie into greatness. Please, I made the mistake of putting off watching this movie until now and I regret my decision. I watched it on Netflix and then bought it on blu ray mere hours later. It's a great comedy and I wholeheartedly recommend it.

Need more convincing? Fine. This movie could have provided some completely pointless story just to usher along a series of unfortunate events for the main cast. It does not. While it is a tad bit predictable at points, the writers provided a solid mystery story that supports the humour and cast. The ending is perfect and may be one of the best parody movie moments in movie HISTORY. That awesome action sequence is pure genius and I cannot flaw it.

Need more. Jeez, you're difficult to convince. Simon Pegg is excellent as Nicholas Angel(who is also the name of one of the cast by the way!) and his personality is a perfect contrast against his partner(Danny Butterman(played excellently by Nick Frost))'s joking and comical persona. Jim Broadbent was great as Inspector Butterman as was Timothy Dalton as Simon Skinner. The villains were incredibly fun and predictable and they genuinely keep you guessing who it is, even though you probably guessed it before the half way mark. Each and every character is memorable, if not by personality not by name. That is pretty damn impressive considering how many there actually are in the movie.

*sigh* I've started now so I'll finish, even though my persuasive skills have undoubtedly convinced you already. Wright directed this movie flawlessly and I adore how he uses the cinematography to provide humour. The costume design is literally flawless. I dare you to poke a flaw in Wright's costume design because you just cannot.

This movie is first and foremost, a comedy. And it perfected that art. I've not laughed as much in a very long time. The mystery is genuinely intriguing and the action is also awesome. If you don't like this movie, I don't like you. It is a hilarious movie and probably one of the funniest I've seen in a long, long, long time. Please, do yourself a favour and watch this movie. I'll rate it a near perfect 9 out of 10 swans.
½ May 20, 2017
A brilliant comedy which i enjoyed very much
½ May 13, 2017
Hot Fuzz is an original take on the buddy cop genre. I didn't laugh as much as I thought I would. The plot and directing style are what carried this movie for me. We have never seen this type of plot from a buddy cop film. Edgar Wright has a very unique directing style and critics and fans all seem to love it alike. Simon Pegg is brilliant in this movie. You should definitely give Hot Fuzz a try "for the greater good."
½ May 10, 2017
An excellent blend of action, comedy, suspense and terror, well set, excellently directed, brilliantly edited, well acted and a screenplay comparable to other Edgar Wright's films as Shaun of the Dead and Scott Pilgrim.
May 7, 2017
one of my absolute all time favourites. cheers me up everytime.
April 23, 2017
idk it's just good man... not crazy funny though which is a little disappointing but still a good and very original comedy. The "who did it" plot was very entertaining and funny especially with the random gore. The two main characters were very entertaining to watch and the acting as a whole was great, combined with good writing and great directing gets you an above average comedy.
April 22, 2017
The ultimate police action parody. Full of Edgar Wright's wit and buffoonery, Hot Fuzz lives up to max potential and possibly surpasses the best serious cop action movies in the process.
April 14, 2017
Not nearly as funny as they try to make it, but it has its moments.
April 8, 2017
Very well executed and thought out film. The director clearly knows what he wants and how to get it. It's witty and funny - everything you expect from a parody! Great watch!
April 1, 2017
A followup to "Shaun of the Dead," "Hot Fuzz" is a hilariously funny and original cop comedy.
½ March 27, 2017
One hell of a comedy but lacks something
March 20, 2017
When the ass kicking begins this is a joy to watch. Gets better with every viewing
March 12, 2017
Another bloody funny 2 hours from the cornetto team. This I would argue is even better than its predecessor, with more complex characters and morals and some of the funniest moments in cinema history. Fantastic.
March 1, 2017
A one of a kind! Favourite movie!
February 26, 2017
Just about a perfect comedy. Edgar Wright is the rare comedy director to understand visual comedy and gags.
½ February 23, 2017
My god this movie is so funny and unpredictable
½ February 17, 2017
Simon Pegg, Nick Frost and Edgar Wright get together to continue the work they started with 2004's Shaun of the Dead, this time dropping a parody of cheesy police action flicks. Like its predecessor, it works on a satirical level, but also as a standalone - albeit one with far less heart than we saw in Shaun. Pegg plays Nicholas Angel, a straight-laced London constable who's so fanatical about his job, the top brass worry they'll look bad by comparison and ship him off to the minor leagues. There he partners with Frost, a slobbish underachiever, and swiftly uncovers a vast criminal conspiracy. Fuzz relies heavily on one-liners and sight gags, which are generally pretty effective, but lacks a real emotional hook. That makes for an entertaining two hours, if not for endless re-screenings. The best work comes from the supporting cast, with Timothy Dalton leading the pack as the town's squinting, scheming, mustachioed mastermind grocer. And, of course, Paddy Considine and Rafe Spall are downright show-stealing as the two Andys, resident detectives more concerned with needling newbies than cracking cases. I could've done with a lot more of those guys. A good film, with some big laughs, but no more than that. It's tough to avoid constant comparisons to the team's preceding effort, which isn't a fair match.
½ February 16, 2017
Interesting comedy is swallowed up by a labyrinthine plot. It is good to see Timothy Dalton relishing a sinister role!
½ February 14, 2017
It's a great comedy and a personal favourite. Strong in it's comedy and storytelling.
February 12, 2017
Great film with good twists