Hot Potato - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Hot Potato Reviews

February 1, 2016
A Thai warlord (Sam Hiona), looking to prevent American foreign aid from hobbling his dictatorial influence, has kidnapped the daughter of an influential senator. To rescue her, the top brass send in a karate commando (Jim Kelly), his two mercenary buddies (George Memmoli & Geoffrey Binney), and a local navigator/martial arts master (Irene Tsu). Hot Potato has lots of slapsticky fight scenes and writer/director Oscar Williams makes ample use of Thailand's beautiful landscapes in his location shoots, but this movie suffers from awkward sound editing and pacing issues. Its main problem, however, is that the movie's many attempts at "humor" come off as tired, labored, draggy, and obnoxious (George Memmoli's Rhino character gets especially grating after a while). I can definitely see how Hot Potato could've wound up as enjoyable as some of Jim Kelly's other martial arts films, but only the most generous fans of grindhouse cheese will be able to overlook the faults in this movie.
November 13, 2013
Doesn't hurt that my closest friend was nominated for a Soundtrack Academy Award for this.
December 15, 2012
Ridiculous, but enjoyable.
May 10, 2012
FUCKING GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD
½ March 31, 2012
I have to agree with all of the bad hype surrounding this turd and give it the lowest rating possible. Like most people who have seen this lately, it came on a Warner Bros. 4 Pack action DVD set with some blaxploitation classics like Black Samson and Three the Hard Way. However, this is NOT blaxploitation. It barely even registers as a martial arts film. Everything about it is hokey, cheesy, sub-par, ridiculous, offensive, absurd, and overall, non-entertainment. The half star that I give is only for the fact that I like Jim Kelly and I love Enter the Dragon (he had one of the best lines in the whole film). Avoid this if you can. Believe me, you're not missing out on anything. This is roundly considered to be the worst martial arts film ever made and I can certainly agree with that.
½ February 19, 2012
This is a pretty terrible movie, but it has a strange charm to it, and it is always cool seeing Jim "Black Belt Jones" Kelly, so it is worth checking if you like his movies.
FilmFanatik
½ August 25, 2011
cosmo313
January 5, 2011
I'm generally extremely kind and understanding when I rate and review movies. Very rarely do I ever give out a rating this low. This time, I just could't hold back. Even for a low-budget, cheesy exploitation picture, this is just pure dog shit. It's more martial arts than blaxploitation (which I'm okay with). However, I was led to believe there would be some crossover as this was apparently supposed to be a sequel of sorts to Black Belt Jones. However, the only things linking the two are Jim Kelly and Oscar Williams. They don't even call Kelly's character Black Belt Jones...they just call him Jones.

Anyway, this movie, unless you read into it, can't be blaxploitation since Kelly is a token here. You could read into it and say that because he is a token it is exploitative, but i refuse to do that as this film ain't worth reading into or analyzing. The writing and direction are crap, the performances are terrible (even Kelly is just okay), Rhino is an annoying and obnoxious character, and this film is just plain boring. Maybe a couple of the action scenes are mildly okay, but the majority of this film is retarded, inept, and just awful.

The DVD cover makes it seem like it will be some sort of cool Indiana Jones type of film. I would actually have enjoyed that, as that would have been cool (had it been done right, that is). This is just crap. They even rip off paets of the James Bond theme in what I believe was an attempt to be cool and reerential. It just comes off as stupid and pointless...like the rest of the film.

Even one moment where they make a funny reference/joke to Tom Jones (which I liked) is ruined by the fact that they take it too far and it becomes overbearing, offensive, and dull. Avoid this one. It gives genre pictures a bad name.
September 27, 2010
Ridiculous, but enjoyable.
½ August 13, 2010
My god... This movie generated more WTFs in a single fight than anything in recent memory. And this is after watching 'Human Centipede'.
This was part of a blaxploitation film set, but... really... NOTHING in this movie was safe or sane. Ninja clowns. Elephant punching. A man pulling pastrami from under his serape.
And yet... I couldn't stop watching.
April 26, 2010
When I think of a martial arts film the first thing I crave is a hot baked potato, with butter, sour cream and chives. Hey, don't make fun of me for that because I know I'm not the only one in the world that thinks this. How do I know? Because the makers of this martial arts monstrosity decided to call this hunk of crap "Hot Potato."

Believe it or not this is a sequel to "Black Belt Jones". Most don't know that and that's ok because obviously one can't make a connection between the two films by the title alone. I mean "Hot Potato"? Ok obviously by the title one can't take this film seriously.

My hunch was right as this film goes for the tongue-in-cheek approach. The film begins with a young women brought to a ninja camp somewhere deep in Africa where their leader calls her father and says she will be killed or unless he pulls aid. In comes 'Black Belt' Jones and two obnoxious sidekicks to rescue her.

One of the sidekicks is a slick talking guy from Chicago and the other guy named, I'm not kidding, White Rhino is a pot-bellied pig of a guy that is supposed to provide "comic" relief. Our trio rescue our kidnapped victim within the first 30 minutes and the rest of the film is spent meandering from one poorly choreographed fight to the next. The plot is actually so thin that Jim Kelly only says probably 10 lines in the whole damn film the film. Considering I'm not a fan of Jim Kelly I should actually consider that a blessing

The thing that bothers me about this film is that it doesn't know if it wants to be totally goofy or just another run-of-the-mill chop socky flick. Some of the fights have Looney Tunes sound effects like winding up fists and others don't. The film is also full of fourth grade boy humor like "you just wet my shoes! You just be lucky it wasn't number 2!"

This confused film just ended up annoying the living shit out of me and I kept starring at the timer on my DVD player asking the ghost of Bruce Lee why didn't the martial arts gods take Jim Kelly instead of him. This is hands down the worst martial arts film I have ever seen (so far) and only young boys who think dick and fart jokes are funny will be amused by this crud. This shit-quel makes Black Belt Jones look like a Shaw Brothers epic.