Hot Potato Reviews

• Nov 26, 2018

Weird and Bizarre old piece of Crap

Weird and Bizarre old piece of Crap

• Feb 01, 2016

A Thai warlord (Sam Hiona), looking to prevent American foreign aid from hobbling his dictatorial influence, has kidnapped the daughter of an influential senator. To rescue her, the top brass send in a karate commando (Jim Kelly), his two mercenary buddies (George Memmoli & Geoffrey Binney), and a local navigator/martial arts master (Irene Tsu). Hot Potato has lots of slapsticky fight scenes and writer/director Oscar Williams makes ample use of Thailand's beautiful landscapes in his location shoots, but this movie suffers from awkward sound editing and pacing issues. Its main problem, however, is that the movie's many attempts at "humor" come off as tired, labored, draggy, and obnoxious (George Memmoli's Rhino character gets especially grating after a while). I can definitely see how Hot Potato could've wound up as enjoyable as some of Jim Kelly's other martial arts films, but only the most generous fans of grindhouse cheese will be able to overlook the faults in this movie.

• Nov 13, 2013

Doesn't hurt that my closest friend was nominated for a Soundtrack Academy Award for this.

• Dec 15, 2012

• May 26, 2012

(***): [img]http://images.rottentomatoes.com/images/user/icons/icon14.gif[/img] A fun, cheesy flick.

• Mar 31, 2012

I have to agree with all of the bad hype surrounding this turd and give it the lowest rating possible. Like most people who have seen this lately, it came on a Warner Bros. 4 Pack action DVD set with some blaxploitation classics like Black Samson and Three the Hard Way. However, this is NOT blaxploitation. It barely even registers as a martial arts film. Everything about it is hokey, cheesy, sub-par, ridiculous, offensive, absurd, and overall, non-entertainment. The half star that I give is only for the fact that I like Jim Kelly and I love Enter the Dragon (he had one of the best lines in the whole film). Avoid this if you can. Believe me, you're not missing out on anything. This is roundly considered to be the worst martial arts film ever made and I can certainly agree with that.

• Feb 19, 2012

This is a pretty terrible movie, but it has a strange charm to it, and it is always cool seeing Jim "Black Belt Jones" Kelly, so it is worth checking if you like his movies.

• Tim S Super Reviewer
    Aug 24, 2011

• Sep 27, 2010

• Aug 13, 2010

My god... This movie generated more WTFs in a single fight than anything in recent memory. And this is after watching 'Human Centipede'. This was part of a blaxploitation film set, but... really... NOTHING in this movie was safe or sane. Ninja clowns. Elephant punching. A man pulling pastrami from under his serape. And yet... I couldn't stop watching.