The Hot Rock - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Hot Rock Reviews

½ May 12, 2011
Afghanistan Banana Stand, See this movie! How was this not a hit? Robert Redford + George Segal + Zero Mostel + William Goldman + Peter Yates = a pretty fun movie.
March 11, 2011
Fun 70s crime caper ,which benefits from having William Goldman on script writing duties.

Segal and Redford are on fine form as brothers in law ,given the task of stealing a rare diamond.

The only trouble being that what starts as a straightforward heist turns into a series of misadventures.

Director Peter Yates kkeps the brew frothy but also entertaining as the hapless gang seek to recover the diamond in more elaborate ways including helicopters ,Prison Breaks and explosions aplenty.

The film works due to its casting Ron Liebman is very funny as a driver who may be a little off the chain ,and Zero Mostel is very good as a crooked lawyer.

Goldmans script crackles and fizzes and you will be kept guessing right up to the end
½ January 14, 2011
Good film evoking spirit of 70s. Also featuring NYC's twin towers being under construction. With crane on top one of them!
December 29, 2010
A band of criminals played by some great 70s actors, go out to steal a diamond, with hilarious results. I enjoyed this movie, it's not very different from other movies like that, but it's fun.
½ December 28, 2010
amusing heist film. moves a little slow but the performances are fun.
½ December 19, 2010
"How many times does it take to steal the same diamond?"

"They're out to steal the hottest diamond in town with the funniest schemes in history!"

Really good 70's film, Dortmunder (Redford) and his pals, George Segal, Ron Liebman (Rachael's father on friends) and Paul Sand, plan to steal a huge diamond from a museum. But this turns out to be only the first time they have to steal it...Also, Zero Mostel is funny as a shyster lawyer, and Christopher Guest (Spinal Tap) has a smallpart.

Dortmunder: It's good, and it's bad. There's a guaranteed return, and that's good. But the guarantor is Amusa, and Amusa's a rookie, and that's bad. But it's an easily transportable object, and that's good. Only it's in a rotten position in the museum, 30 steps to the quickest exit, and that's bad. And the glass over the stone, that's bad too, because that's glass with metal mixed in it, bulletproof, shatterproof. But the locks don't look impossible, 3, maybe 5 tumblers, but there's no alarm system, and that's the worst, because that means no one's going to get lazy watching, knowing the alarm will pick up their mistakes. Which means the whole thing has got to be a diversion job, and that's good and that's bad, because if the diversion's too big, it'll draw pedestrians, and if the diversion's not big enough, it won't draw that watchman.
Kelp: Dortmunder, I don't know where the hell you are, or what the hell you say. Just tell me, will you plan the job?
Dortmunder: [pause] It's what I do.

Abe Greenberg: You'll never be able to copy this amiable countenance. I've been tipping in that bank for years. Everybody knows Abe Greenberg.

Abe Greenberg: Dillinger!

Dortmunder: Miasmo.
Kelp: Miasmo?

Miasmo: Afghanistan Bananastand.

Dortmunder: Not me. I've got no choice. I'm not superstitious. And I don't believe in jinxes, but that stone's jinxed me and it won't let go. I've been damned near bitten, shot at, peed on and robbed. And worse is gonna happen before it's done. So I'm takin' my stand. I'm going all the way. Either I get it, or it gets me.

Warden: [as he is being released from prison] No matter what institution I'm in, sooner or later I got you inside it. You couldn't, um, really go straight?
Dortmunder: [after a thoughtful pause and an exhale] My heart wouldn't be in it, Frank.

Kelp: [Inquiring about his prison term] So how was it this time?
Dortmunder: Not bad. I learned plumbing.

Abe Greenberg: I am so astute, it's remarkable. There are some things people will not do.
Dortmunder: But they're things that get done that you can't do yourself. There's things that happen that you can make happen.

Dr. Amusa: [On being presented with yet another request for assistance] I had heard, of ocurse, of the habitual criminal. But I never thought to become involved in the habitual CRIME.
May 19, 2010
My Husband is the Best!!! Great scenes of New York and the Twin Towers are under construction!!!
February 19, 2010
quite amusing but badly dated
January 31, 2010
If this had been a more traditional heist movie just with the odd gang that Redford comes up with - it would have been more enjoyable. I enjoy comic caper flicks, but this one had way too many turns. I did enjoy the acting and the actual heist, but by the end I wasn't sure what was going on.
April 30, 2009
wow umn just seen this movie 4 the 1st time n think that this is a good movie 2 watch...its got a good cast of actors/actressess throughout this movie...i think that robert redford, george segal, ron leibman,william redfield, moses gunn, paul sand, graham jarvis, charlotte rae, topo swope play good roles/parts throughout this movie i think that the director of this comedy movie had done a great job of directing this movie because its a good 1970's movie with a great cast throughout this movie
February 15, 2009
One of my favorite Heist films. I happen to be a sucker for these movies. I feel like a child again watching them.
"Afghanistan Bananastand."
January 4, 2009
a great caper movie, a great New York movie, a great 70's movie (yet another one), a great script, a great cast, a great pleasure to watch again and again and again.
½ December 15, 2008
Fun, slightly silly comedy about career criminal Redford and his 3 lovable loser sidekicks stealing, losing and chasing a massive diamond; boosted by funky music and slick camera work that never made New York of the sleazy 70s look better (especially the amazing aerial photography during the helicopter sequence)
September 4, 2008
What can go wrong, will go wrong in this comedy heist movie. Robert Redford plays the slick and smart jewel thief very well. The supporting cast was adequate. The soundtrack of jazz by Quincy Jones was fitting for the movie. But the film lack a kind of style that would have made this a more memorable and funnier film than it actually was. The helicopter sequence was too long and the dialogue should have been more clever as well as better. Also, the way the try to get the diamond in the very end seemed way too easy and kind of lazy for an ending.
½ August 10, 2008
Robert Redford leads a small group of thieves trying to steal an African Diamond. Every time they think they have it, something goes wrong & new caper has to be planned.
June 8, 2008
Better than Ocean's Eleven, this film is so much fun. Robert Redford is right on and his pairing with George Segal is perfect. Redford's acting in the final scene alone is worth watching the movie for.
½ April 30, 2008
Exemplary writing, though something in the execution made it more boring than it should've been. Eh, maybe I'm just spoiled by the panache of the Ocean's movies. Definitely enjoyable, though.
March 21, 2008
Clever little crime caper with the always-charming Redford.
½ December 10, 2007
Solid heist comedy - watch for a young Christopher Guest as a fresh faced cop.