Hot to Trot - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Hot to Trot Reviews

October 7, 2016
No stars. Man, Bobcat Goldthwait has had one of the most fascinating careers of anyone in entertainment history. He's now widely respected as a masterful filmmaker and a funny stand up comic (even if most of his material seems to involve him poking fun at the extremely odd place he occupies in pop culture). But with this little pile of horse droppings, we get to see what he once was: a stand up comic with an annoying, inhuman voice who made movies that eagerly scraped the bottom of the barrel. And this is as bottom-of-the-barrel as they come. It's almost like we're discussing two separate people. Don't ever see this movie. Bobcat himself would advise you not to.
July 23, 2016
It's an 80s movie about a talking horse that can pick stocks that stars Bobcat and John Candy. If you don't like this you're a communist who hates capitalism.
½ May 2, 2016
this movie is really funny and fun to watch, sure the movie may be confusing sometimes, but it is loveable when u give it a decent chance, i like john candy as the horse don. bob goldthwait is really nice as fred p cheney the only thing is dabney colemans role in this movie, who in other movies ,coleman is really funny to be around but here from wargames to disneys recess, but here colemans role in this movie kinda sounds like a knockoff of the jeffrey jones ed rooney character from ferris bueler where the guy is talking to people and u realize "dude, obviously u do not want to be around a boss who is so mean to cheney when he proabably should have let his horse watch reruns of mr ed and francis the talking mule just to get a wider range of things for don to say
but even though the movie isn't as great as talking animal movies that came out in later years, i still think it still holds up
January 21, 2016
I was very young when I saw this movie and it might be the reason why I seem to enjoy it even today more than others. There are funny parts and Bobcat is extremely enjoyable here. I have owned this on VHS for years now, however it has never been released on DVD or's as if no one wants to acknowledge this movie ever existed.
November 21, 2015
Those are the horse's front teeth.

Fred Chaney is a good for nothing son with little going for him other than his mother married a rich business executive. Unfortunately his mother dies, but fortunately she owns half the executive's company and leaves it to him...she also leaves him a talking horse. The stepfather tries to hornswoggle Fred's side of the business. Fred will partner with his talking horse to outsmart the executive.

"He's like a member of the family."
"Which side?"

Michael Dinner, director of Heaven Help Us, Off Beat, The Crew, Outlaw Country, Clementine, Wild Blue, and episodes from the television series Justified, Grey's Anatomy, Wonder Years, and Chicago Hope, delivers Hot to Trot. The storyline for this picture is ridiculous but entertaining to watch to see how it unfolds. The script is average but contains some sequences worth a giggle. The acting is below par and the cast includes Bobcat Goldthwait, Dabney Coleman, John Candy, Virginia Madsen, and Jim Metzler.

"You can't live with me."
"Because you're a horse."

Hot to Trot is a movie I watched repeatedly as a kid as it was always on HBO. I came across it on HBOGO and decided to watch it again for the first time in a long time; well, I understand why I enjoyed it as a kid, it was fun in a "what if they could" kind of way, but this is definitely a below average movie that was a bit disappointing. I would only watch this if you were raised in the 80s.

"Darling, don't be a chicken shit."

Grade: C-
September 28, 2015
Ok, I own a horse, an Appaloosa.They are horses bred by American Indians from those the Spanish left behind. The North American tribes in Washington state and Oregon delt with the care and training of this certain breed unlike any other approach used by man.
By the earth, of the earth and for the earth: the natural habitat of men and animal payed off in producing an intelligence and natural skill of this breed of horse to cope and specialize in the understanding of its rider and its ability traversing over any type of land travel that was needed in the mountainous, forested and distance over plains in that area of the Northwest.
So what? I enjoyed this movie because sometimes I could read the nuances of 'Dons' training for 'screen acting' with Goldthwait.
I think I'm in a minority here but who cares?
(Admitted, the horse isn't even an Appaloosa.)~
April 15, 2015
The single worst movie of the year.
November 21, 2014
Hot To Trot tries to be funny with John Candy's voice as a talking horse, but it just doesn't work with its ridiculous and senseless plot and overwhelmingly weak performances.
½ November 12, 2014
John Candy is a very funny man, but he does not make for a funny talking horse.
½ October 4, 2014
An awful experience. The premise would have made an interesting and possibly satisfying short film, or maybe perhaps a skit on SNL, but Goldthwait and Coleman's comedy quickly loses steam. I remember seeing this at the theatre, curious, at the age of 19, as growing up, I had enjoyed watching some of the Francis, the Talking Mule films on TV with my parents. Almost immediately I regretted the endeavor.
½ April 4, 2014
Not John Candy's worse movie...
½ September 22, 2013
This is a very funny movie. Love it.
June 11, 2013
It's the best movie about a horse that gives stock market advice that you could have possibly asked for.
½ January 22, 2013
"More Like This" says that "Hot Fuzz" is the same as this movie. What?
January 17, 2013
I love this movie but a lot of people hate it. Maybe you will. Tough shit.
½ December 30, 2012
Maybe not exactly as good as I remember from childhood, but it was worth a watch just to bring back the memories of seeing it for the first time. I've always been a big fan of Bobcat Goldthwait too, so it was good to see one of his early films.
August 22, 2012
I can see why Bobcat Goldthwait was nominated for a Razzie Award. I did get a few laughs, but it fell flat overall. 2 out of 5.
August 13, 2012
It is crazy, so you can not expect anything serious. when I first saw it, I missed a lot of jokes, I had to look again and again and finally it is a cult movie of our family
March 31, 2012
Pure cheesy goodness. A childhood fave, as well. :)
March 20, 2012
Boy, Do I miss John Candy. In this movie he plays Don the horse and as always John Candy steals the show. He is hillarious in this movie. Bobcat Gothwaite is funny too. What a good duo him and Candy. The movie seems like it is going to be dumb but it picks up. I was suprised with all the swearing that it was rated PG so just a word of caution. Hot To Trot is your typical John Candy movie which means from beging to end it is non stop laughter.